Lets talk KFC

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
Dude you're a high roller I'm way too cheap to buy copper. I only have one copper pan and I baby the **** out of that damn thing. :laugh:

I've used cast iron for years. They don't cost much and if you know what you're doing you can beat those ****ers to hell and back and they keep going to work for you. They're also easy to clean if you know how.

Cast iron is exactly the opposite of copper. Copper is an extraordinarily conductive and malleable metal that transfers heat crazy fast but doesn't hold heat; cast iron is brittle, porous and doesn't conduct well but once you spend the time heating that sucker up it holds its heat no matter what you throw on there.
Curious, how do you recommend cleaning them?

member 157595

Curious, how do you recommend cleaning them?

All of the following instructions assume you have properly seasoned your pan (if you don't know how to do that, I can help with that as well though there are multiple schools of thought) beforehand.

Anyways...You got a fume hood on your stove? Because you're going to need it.

Turn the heat to low-medium and cook the shit out of that pan until all organic material has been burned/dried to hell and back (you can do other things while this is happening). Grab the pan and gently brush off the contents (if they don't come off easily, you haven't cooked the pan long enough). Turn off the heat, pour a little oil (something like canola) into the pan and vigorously rub that oil into the surface until it all is absorbed (it's important to do this while the pan is hot; you need the thermal expansion to allow the "pores" to open). That's it, let the pan cool and put it away once it's not the temperature of an active volcano.

If you're in a pinch and the pan is cold, you can scrape it with wood/nylon materials (NEVER metal) and add boiling water. Let sit 10-15 minutes, pour out the water, add a little salt and scrape again. If this works, rinse everything off, heat up the pan to remove the water and add/rub the oil in like before.

Don't ever store cast iron with any type of water on it whatsoever and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T f***ING EVER PUT SOAP OF ANY KIND ON THAT PAN. If your food is sticking to the pan, it's either not seasoned correctly or the pan wasn't hot enough when you started cooking on it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
All of the following instructions assume you have properly seasoned your pan (if you don't know how to do that, I can help with that as well though there are multiple schools of thought) beforehand.

Anyways...You got a fume hood on your stove? Because you're going to need it.

Turn the heat to low-medium and cook the **** out of that pan until all organic material has been burned/dried to hell and back (you can do other things while this is happening). Grab the pan and gently brush off the contents (if they don't come off easily, you haven't cooked the pan long enough). Turn off the heat, pour a little oil (something like canola) into the pan and vigorously rub that oil into the surface until it all is absorbed (it's important to do this while the pan is hot; you need the thermal expansion to allow the "pores" to open). That's it, let the pan cool and put it away once it's not the temperature of an active volcano.

If you're in a pinch and the pan is cold, you can scrape it with wood/nylon materials (NEVER metal) and add boiling water. Let sit 10-15 minutes, pour out the water, add a little salt and scrape again. If this works, rinse everything off, heat up the pan to remove the water and add/rub the oil in like before.

Don't ever store cast iron with any type of water on it whatsoever and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T ****ING EVER PUT SOAP OF ANY KIND ON THAT PAN. If your food is sticking to the pan, it's either not seasoned correctly or the pan wasn't hot enough when you started cooking on it.

Hope that helps.
I just got my first cast iron for Xmas and literally knew none of this. Didn't even know you had to season it! I gots lots of learning to do

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
I Remember when KFSurple firs`t Came out in 1999, and U could get a Bucket of Chicken for $19.99 dollar`s and 99¢ cent`s. Fas`t forward 2 2day `n` the Kernel is Still offering the Same Great Deal`s: AN BUCKET OF CHICKEN FOR $19.99 DOLLAR`S `N` 99¢ CENT`S. Not 2 mention the Double Down, the Gr8es`t Sandwitch of all`Time. :clap: Thank u Kermel `n` Thank U KFC. :clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: Urblock

member 157595

I just got my first cast iron for Xmas and literally knew none of this. Didn't even know you had to season it! I gots lots of learning to do

No problem. I'm not an expert but I've been cooking with them frequently for years so I have learned a few things along the way.

Some cast iron stuff comes pre-seasoned, but IMO, that "pre-seasoning" is not sufficient. I add several layers of my own seasoning, done in the following fashion (I like to do this on cold days; seasoning cast iron during the summer is not recommended):

- make sure pan is clean and dry
- rub vegetable oil all over it really well and then use paper towels to pick up residue (the pan should not look wet when put into the oven, because if it does, it'll be sticky when it comes out later on; a little bit damp is OK though)
- place in a cold oven, upside down, with like a cookie sheet covered with foil or something on the lowest rack to catch any falling oil
- preheat the oven to 375F or 400F (some people go hotter, I don't because vegetable oil doesn't have an extraordinarily high smoke point) and run for 1.5 to 2 hours, starting the timing from when the oven is done preheating
- when done, turn off the oven but don't open it or take the pan out, let everything cool naturally

I have restored completely bare cast iron pans this way but it has taken up to 6(!) applications. With a brand-new pan you definitely don't need to do it anywhere near 6 times, but it's hard to overseason a pan if you do it right. If you season it like crazy at the beginning that coating will last a long freaking time.

Reactions: CRM 114

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
No problem. I'm not an expert but I've been cooking with them frequently for years so I have learned a few things along the way.

Some cast iron stuff comes pre-seasoned, but IMO, that "pre-seasoning" is not sufficient. I add several layers of my own seasoning, done in the following fashion (I like to do this on cold days; seasoning cast iron during the summer is not recommended):

- make sure pan is clean and dry
- rub vegetable oil all over it really well and then use paper towels to pick up residue (the pan should not look wet when put into the oven, because if it does, it'll be sticky when it comes out later on; a little bit damp is OK though)
- place in a cold oven, upside down, with like a cookie sheet covered with foil or something on the lowest rack to catch any falling oil
- preheat the oven to 375F or 400F (some people go hotter, I don't because vegetable oil doesn't have an extraordinarily high smoke point) and run for 1.5 to 2 hours, starting the timing from when the oven is done preheating
- when done, turn off the oven but don't open it or take the pan out, let everything cool naturally

I have restored completely bare cast iron pans this way but it has taken up to 6(!) applications. With a brand-new pan you definitely don't need to do it anywhere near 6 times, but it's hard to overseason a pan if you do it right. If you season it like crazy at the beginning that coating will last a long freaking time.
Thanks. I did it this weekend after I read your post about seasoning it. Found the exact same method from a different site. Was really simple.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
All fast food was better 20-30 years ago. They have found ways to cut corners and save the bottom line while decreasing the quality just enough so you barely notice it.

Burger King is the most prime example of this. Whoppers used to be absolutely delicious. Now they have a fake taste like they were dipped in cleaning products. Wendy’s chicken used to be delicious. Now it’s “acceptable”. And yeah KFC too. Now it’s just salt....salt....salt....salt.

member 157595

Thanks. I did it this weekend after I read your post about seasoning it. Found the exact same method from a different site. Was really simple.

You get a lot of schools of thought. I've tried doing it at 500F and nearly set my smoke alarm off, I've tried it at 250F for 3 hours and the pan got a little gummy. I've decided to stick with the method I proposed to you, and usually I stay at 375F for 2 hours.

I really love cast iron. It's cheap, it's durable, it holds heat better than anything on the market and it's easy to take care of once you put in the up-front work.

Sep 19, 2008
You get a lot of schools of thought. I've tried doing it at 500F and nearly set my smoke alarm off, I've tried it at 250F for 3 hours and the pan got a little gummy. I've decided to stick with the method I proposed to you, and usually I stay at 375F for 2 hours.

I really love cast iron. It's cheap, it's durable, it holds heat better than anything on the market and it's easy to take care of once you put in the up-front work.

i can't get cast iron how would you even clean that thing

the concept of pouring oil over it and then heating it to clean it is odd

member 157595

i can't get cast iron how would you even clean that thing

the concept of pouring oil over it and then heating it to clean it is odd

The reason is that harsh detergents can strip the coating/seasoning, and unlike other pans, cast iron is porous which means contaminants/impurities/rust can penetrate and rot it from the inside out if it's not taken care of. Oil protects against rust, since the hydrophobic oil barrier does not mix with water.

I wouldn't recommend cast iron for someone that rarely cooks and isn't serious about it. If you eat out a lot, it's probably not for you.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
For years now ive been saying this. Theres something different about the chicken now.

In the 80s and 90s KFC chicken was moist, juicy and tender. That perfect amount of salt and pepper plus grease. Sure their fry game inproved, but did that signal the end?

Ive found myself at Mary Browns more n more over KFC...and even its not much better. I just want the 80s back along with McDonald's nuggets when they were good too, and the pack of honey was just as big as the other sauces. Plus they handed them out like candy instead of charging you extra
A few years ago, a dozen of us did a taste test of KFC, Mary Browns and Popeye's.
Everyone took Popeye's first.
About 75% took Mary Browns second. I was one of them.
In comparison, I thought KFC was terrible. But it's fried chicken, so........

member 157595

somewhat relevant: i am currently eating cheetos at f***ing 9 in the morning. someone tell me why.

Reactions: BigMac1212

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
:yo::yo::yo: Bock Bock, Mother f***er`s :yo::yo::yo:
CdP27nI.jpg

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad