Let's talk defense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
When the off season started we all were talking about WHO Murray would get for LD, not whether we needed one...and none of us were talking about a 3rd pair guy like Sanguinetti.

Seems like now the definition of "need" is being changed up, but it's unnecessary semantics. If we want as good a dcorps as possible Murray should be signing or trading for a top four guy...like he's already tried to. We don't need one, in the same way we don't need ROR to shelter Eichel or Reinhart.

Not acquiring a top four LD this summer would be a let down AND a problem going forward, that simple.

This is exactly what I'm feeling. I don't want them to rush - take a look at what you have by all means - but if the season starts as is I'll be slightly disappointed. Not even disappointed given other acquisitions - but it will be more than a niggle.

Jame - I'm not sure why you think it would be Larsson to move. I guess it depends on the needs of the other team maybe. I just feel (hope) Larsson is one of those guys who has more value to his own team than any others at this point.

Again - I'm sure they still have the assets to make something worthwhile happen. You seem overly worried about giving up assets yet at the same time (rightly imo) praised TM for doing just that in previous trades to land pieces that he needed (or desired).

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Im fairly confident that a GM somewhere is going to get in a jam with cap space, needs a forward or two in training camp. Takes a look at their team out of training camp and decides to overhaul things.

Or a major injury is going to occur and panc will set in, and that GM somewhere is going to trade away a LD to get what they think they need.

If all else fails, Garth Snow is always around to fleece a LD from.....lol

Somewhere, somehow, ones going to shake loose. If it doesn't happen until training camp, or the beggining of the season, so be it. But we'll get one somehow.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Cola on the top pairing?

For real??

Between Bogo and Risto's pair, whichever is the "1st" pair will probably be just semantic. If it helps you can conceptualize it as

Weber - Risto
Cola - Bogo
Pysyk/Gorges/McCabe/Donovan/Franson?

Weber/Risto had good synergy last year and will probably be good enough this year. I will grant the Cola projection is optimistic. It's obviously not an ideal situation but not exactly tank commanders either. Barely missing the playoffs this year and winning a chunk of the new lottery is kind of "the plan" anyways. :P

Going forward a lot will depend on the development of Pysyk and McCabe. Reassess the need for UFA or trade on a year-to-year basis.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I still find it very tough to exclude Ruhwedel from the mix courtesy of Carlo Colaiacovo or Bobby Sanguinetti.

Pysyk - Bogo
McCabe - Risto
Weber - Ruhwedel

Gorges in if he's healthy. Curious to see Donovan.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Has Murray given any updates on Gorges lately? Where he's at and where he expects him to be when the season starts?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If this team's weakness is going to be its blueline no matter the scenario, with the forward top six or top nine as its strength, there is zero... ZERO reason NOT to go young.

Yes Pysyk top four.

Yes McCabe immediately.

Yes to the winner of Ruhwedel and Donovan. Bogosian and McCabe are your veteran experience.

We aren't aiming for this coming year, we need to see what we have and what we need to address, contingent on which of the youth emerges.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I still find it very tough to exclude Ruhwedel from the mix courtesy of Carlo Colaiacovo or Bobby Sanguinetti.

Pysyk - Bogo
McCabe - Risto
Weber - Ruhwedel

Love this lineup, McCabe makes the loss of Zads so relieving. Ruhwedal deserves that bottom 6 roll if we don't Sign Franson

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
If the season started today the defence would be

Gorges Ristolanin

Pysyk Bogosian

McCabe Weber

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think right now my preference would be: (assuming George's is healthy)

Georges-bogosian
Weber-risto
Donovan-pysyk

Top line gets worked a ton and run into the ground. bottom two pairings get about equal ice time.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY

Pysyk - Bogo
McCabe - Risto
Weber - Ruhwedel

This is pretty close to what I am thinking. If we sign Franson tho.

Risto-Bogo
Carlo-Franson
Weber-Pysyk

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Was thinking the same thing. People keep putting him there and if that's the case we might be in a bit of trouble on the back end.

I keep putting him there because he has experience there.

He was on the top pair with Petriangelo and the Blues almost won the president's trophy... then when they brought him back a year later, he played on the 2nd pair with Shattenkirk (Jaybo was with Petriangelo now).

He's been banged up for the last few years... he's injury prone. But he's top 4 experienced, and plays very well with high quality partners (something we have for him in Bogo/Risto)

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

He was on the top pair with Petriangelo and the Blues almost won the president's trophy... then when they brought him back a year later, he played on the 2nd pair with Shattenkirk (Jaybo was with Petriangelo now).

He's been banged up for the last few years... he's injury prone. But he's top 4 experienced, and plays very well with high quality partners (something we have for him in Bogo/Risto)

Very valid point. If rosy stays on the RHD I think it should be an option

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Pysyk - Bogo
McCabe - Risto
Weber - Ruhwedel

Yes. I'm excited to see what Rudy can do too. I just hope we don't lose him for nothing on waivers. I'd love to see what he can do with a full season in the NHL.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I still find it very tough to exclude Ruhwedel from the mix <snip>

I agree. Ruh seems to be underrated a bit around here. When he's been up with the Sabres I've always felt he's had the same calm confidence and smart playmaking in his own end that Pysyk shows. I didn't pay too much attention to how's he's been in Rochester, but the couple games I did see (here in Cleveland vs. the Monsters) he did seem to be playing top pairing and 1st PP unit. He may not have the ceiling or potential of guys like Pysyk or McCabe, but I do believe he could and should be in the NHL.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo

Fair enough. Hopefully he can still handle those kind of minutes. That would be a fantastic under the radar signing

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Fair enough. Hopefully he can still handle those kind of minutes. That would be a fantastic under the radar signing

It's all about his health. Can he get through camp in good shape?

Over the last 8 years, he's played more minutes with Petriangelo than anyone else (about 25% of his ES ice time)

Here's the last 8 years

Colaicovo totals:
GF 2.11
GA 2.07
CF 56.37
CA 49.00
Those are good numbers

Colo WITH Petriangelo (25% of the time)
GF 2.12
GA 1.58
CF 58.06
CA 47.22
The numbers obviously get better WITH Petriangelo

The interesting piece is Petriangelo WITHOUT Colaicovo.
GF 2.66
GA 2.27
CF 57.60
CA 51.26

Of course, Coloaicovo doesn't look as great without Petriangelo, but that should be expected right?
GF 2.10
GA 2.23
CF 55.84
CA 49.56

Does any of this mean that Colo will be good in Buffalo, good with Bogo or Risto? No... chemistry and fit mean more than anything. But, it DOES mean that no one should be writing the signing off as soom #6/7 or Rochester guy (which is basically what everyone did in the Colo signing thread.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Does any of this mean that Colo will be good in Buffalo, good with Bogo or Risto? No... chemistry and fit mean more than anything. But, it DOES mean that no one should be writing the signing off as soom #6/7 or Rochester guy (which is basically what everyone did in the Colo signing thread.

Yeah I'm coming around to this mode as well. As I've previously mentioned, all I want from the LHDs this season is defensive competence and synergy with Bogo/Risto. From the looks of things Cola has a decent chance to be one of those guys.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah I'm coming around to this mode as well. As I've previously mentioned, all I want from the LHDs this season is defensive competence and synergy with Bogo/Risto. From the looks of things Cola has a decent chance to be one of those guys.

If Murray has to settle for a guy playing top four just based on synergy with bogo/risto, it should be a guy on one year deal. One man's "synergy" is another man's "plays good enough when carried by a top dman". Whatever...either scenario could suffice, but signing a guy like Franson on a multi year deal is a waste imo. I'd rather do a patch job than commit cap space to a 3rd pair pp guy.

I'd rather go the trade route if Ehrhoff isn't happening, cuz I'm not optimistic on signing a legit top LD next summer either. Maybe lucks evens out and we draft Chychrun.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Honestly, I never was too worried about acquiring a "high-end" free agent LD this summer, because I would like to see how things plays out this summer and the rest of next season. If we have to use Carlo or x on LD for a year, so be it. Don't want a financial binding contract long term contract, and who knows, why can't a good deal open up on the marketplace via trade or FA (next summer)? Let's just wait and see.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It'd be nice to get another top-4 defenseman who can play on Bogo's pairing. That way Coloaicovo could play with Risto. I read a few quotes that Coloaicovo likes to mentor younger players, and Jame's post showing how much chemistry he had with Petro while Petro was an up and coming defenseman puts things into perspective for me.

XXX-Bogo
Coloaicovo-Risto
Weber/Gorges-Pysyk

I must admit I know nothing about Coloaicovo, so if he can emerge as a good top-4 option then that'd be a pleasant surprise to say the least.

Damn would Oduya or Sekera be great to have right now. Oh well...

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Patience. UFA isn't always the way to go. But who are potential UFAs on D next year? I'm sure many will get locked up before that, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad