Let's talk defense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
He's pretty terrible defensively, for a guy who skates well, he's got terrible mobility... but, the things he does well... do fit our needs to a certain extent.

The guy can run a PP and score.... 20th in GF per 60

Doesn't really sound like the top-4 LHD we're looking for then. I'd probably rather just trot Weber and Gorges out there based on that descrption.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What do you guys think of the trade board proposal of one of our 3rds for Quincy? Think I saw NYI 3rd thrown around.

I threw his name into the thread a few (dozen?) pages back. I was thinking one of their seconds this year since they own theirs and as seemingly always, the Wild's pick as well.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
20th for defensemen or 20th overall?

for defensemen

Yeah, I'd rather add him than go into the season as is or move someone out

If we are going to add another Defensemen, Id rather it be someone with a skill we lack. Franson meets that requirement.

Doesn't really sound like the top-4 LHD we're looking for then. I'd probably rather just trot Weber and Gorges out there based on that descrption.

Well... i mean, he's nothing like Gorges or Weber, who have zero offensive use.

Has anyone investigated whether Franson has left side on his resume?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I would gladly take Franson since he is only turning 28, without a doubt better then Gorges/Weber/Cola etc and we could use any offensive flair on the backend. He isn't great in his own end but he isnt Delmore bad. Hopefully 4-4.5 max for 4-5 years.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
what's the best case scenario with a Cody Franson signing? Sheldon Souray with more limited 3rd pair ES minutes?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would gladly take Franson since he is only turning 28, without a doubt better then Gorges/Weber/Cola etc and we could use any offensive flair on the backend. He isn't great in his own end but he isnt Delmore bad.

he's pretty terrible defensively... but he can definitely run a PP and let er rip, so he'll score points, and you'll think he's awesome.

Hopefully 4-4.5 max for 4-5 years.

I sure hope not. Definitely nothing more than 3 years. I don't really care how much the annual average is, as long as its 3 years or less.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I would gladly take Franson since he is only turning 28, without a doubt better then Gorges/Weber/Cola etc and we could use any offensive flair on the backend. He isn't great in his own end but he isnt Delmore bad. Hopefully 4-4.5 max for 4-5 years.

I don't really have an interest in anything more than 3 years. Would rather over pay for three years or under then pay reasonably amount for 4+.

Edit: Beaten

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
From Jacob582's post---Pysyk's comments yesterday on WGR about playing the left side.

according to Pysyk on WGR:

"a lot" (last season)

"played the majority of last season on the left side".

"For the most part I played with Jerome Leduc"

He said he wasn't comfortable playing the left side before last season. Feels comfortable now.

Just food for thought on who might end up over on the left of our righties

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
From Jacob582's post---Pysyk's comments yesterday on WGR about playing the left side.

according to Pysyk on WGR:

"a lot" (last season)

"played the majority of last season on the left side".

"For the most part I played with Jerome Leduc"

He said he wasn't comfortable playing the left side before last season. Feels comfortable now.

Just food for thought on who might end up over on the left of our righties

if Franson becomes a reality...

Pysyk-Bogo
Weber-Risto
Colaicovo-Franson
x Donovan
IR Gorges
Roch McCabe

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I sure hope not. Definitely nothing more than 3 years. I don't really care how much the annual average is, as long as its 3 years or less.

So much this. Nothing beyond 3 years. Whoever we get at this point is a duct tape while our other young D men develop. I'd go 3 years x 4 Million per for Franson. Makes it easily movable if you retain some salary for a decent return.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Well... i mean, he's nothing like Gorges or Weber, who have zero offensive use.

Well, I’m in favor of defensively sound LHDs that won’t screw things up as they get carried by Bogo/Risto. Sounds like he is the complete opposite of that. Whereas Weber and Gorges are the of right style, just with disappointing quality.

what's the best case scenario with a Cody Franson signing? Sheldon Souray with more limited 3rd pair ES minutes?

If they do sign Franson and it is true that he is much better on the right than left (as jawallstar relayed) then I suspect they will try him at 2nd pair RHD, and they might try Risto on the left, an idea that Bylsma has already floated aloud. Otherwise Franson goes to the 3rd pair and they try Pysyk on the left, I guess.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well, I’m in favor of defensively sound LHDs that won’t screw things up as they get carried by Bogo/Risto. Sounds like he is the complete opposite of that. Whereas Weber and Gorges are the of right style, just with disappointing quality.

the more chemistry and experience they have together, the more sound Weber will become as Risto's partner.

Colaicovo has played and played well when paired with a good partner, not sure if he and Bogo would have the right mix, but it's possible.

And Pysyk is also a strong wildcard in this LHD mix.

I don't think adding Franson would have anything to do with finding a LHD for Bogo or Risto

If they do sign Franson and it is true that he is much better on the right than left (as jawallstar relayed) then I suspect they will try him at 2nd pair RHD, and they might try Risto on the left, an idea that Bylsma has already floated aloud. Otherwise Franson goes to the 3rd pair and they try Pysyk on the left, I guess.

3rd pair RHD, with limited D zone/matchups, but with a key role on the PP.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
As long as his contract doesn't become a Matt Carle situation I'll be fine with it. 3 years would be perfect.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
2 years or less? Ok, whatever. Also, let's keep our kids on the right side and move the vets to the left. I don't need Pysyk and Risto to be burdened by playing an unnatural position while they are developing.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Josh Gorges is NOT defensively sound. He's terrible defensively. He's as bad defensively as Benoit and Meszaros because he simply can't skate or pass the puck. Just because he's terrible offensively doesn't mean he's good defensively. The only thing Gorges is good at is picking himself up off the ice around the crease area after he loses another battle. The guy is simply one of the worst players in the NHL BEFORE his major surgery. Even on the 3rd pairing I'm not expecting much from him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
2 years or less? Ok, whatever. Also, let's keep our kids on the right side and move the vets to the left. I don't need Pysyk and Risto to be burdened by playing an unnatural position while they are developing.

Pysyk played the left side most of last season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
he's pretty terrible defensively... but he can definitely run a PP and let er rip, so he'll score points, and you'll think he's awesome.

So petty. I'll think he's awesome. I could say that about a 3rd liner who isn't that talented but is good in his own zone and you'll think he's awesome.

And Franson isn't signing for 3 years or less. He will want a long term deal. Nothing wrong with 4 or 5 years since he will only be 32 or 33 by the end of the deal and I doubt a deal for Cody freakin Franson will hinder the Sabres from extending the RFAS . He will get $5 mil max . Probably less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad