Lets talk about stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
What's a good dividend stock?
first question is, do you really want to settle for a dividend stock ? are you young and willing to accept a level of risk for growth ? or are you order and looking for something more stable.

Safe dividend stocks with good dividend yields: Canadian Banks, Telco ( Bell, Rogers) energy ( buyer beware ). Big food companies also tend to generate steady yields and are relatively safe ( Cargil, Nestlé , Pepsico etc) . For me , a dividend stock is for someone retired or close to retirement. I'm in my 30s and am willing to take more risk for more than a 3-4 % annual yield.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Dick Duff

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
It will. Eventually. It is not sustainable to continue mining crypto currency. It is ridiculous to waste that much energy on a currency.
I’m too tired to explain, but the energy consumption FUD is a non-issue. The energy is not wasted. And BTC is definitely not a bubble. Fiat currencies are the bubble.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
first question is, do you really want to settle for a dividend stock ? are you young and willing to accept a level of risk for growth ? or are you order and looking for something more stable.

Safe dividend stocks with good dividend yields: Canadian Banks, Telco ( Bell, Rogers) energy ( buyer beware ). Big food companies also tend to generate steady yields and are relatively safe ( Cargil, Nestlé , Pepsico etc) . For me , a dividend stock is for someone retired or close to retirement. I'm in my 30s and am willing to take more risk for more than a 3-4 % annual yield.

Agreed on this, what would be your take then on dividend growth stocks with growth. I do not like dividend safe stocks per say inflation return etc... but if I can find someone good ones that have growth and a good dividend that would be beautiful lol.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
What's a good dividend stock?

It all depends on your risk

top dividends in TSX
TMX Money

do your DD before investing in any HIGH yield stocks.
Perfect example is ENS.To last night they did an overnight offering, got halted this morning by IIROC. price went down from 13.17 to 12.25 at open.

My best move is SIA (senior LTC in Ontario/BC) joined at 9.5% last year a 9.90$
they give 8 cents monthly and never missed a payment. the price is 14.06.
Got a 50% profit with DRIP.

Also went with DFN with a small amount and very high yield (17%). Only time they missed dividends is during Covid and 2008 crash

I highly advise you to check this video to have a decent overview of Dividends type

I'm looking to invest in Enbridge at 7%.
Any reason why ? I know that long term isn't great for energy

Reactions: Scintillating10

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
For me , a dividend stock is for someone retired or close to retirement. I'm in my 30s and am willing to take more risk for more than a 3-4 % annual yield.

Dividend stocks are not boring, getting money deposited into your account every day for doing nothing, is not boring. I have tripled my money within a year more than once using dividend stocks, such as Walgreens, Alimentation Couche Tard, and IIPR. Many in the FIRE movement made it with dividend stocks. Canadian banks have given 20 year returns of 15% CAGR. I have handily beaten the stock market for 11 years with dividend stocks. There are many dividend growth stocks.

You do you, I'll do me. To each his/her own.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I sound like a broken record but Suncor is a decent stock for dividends...

Prior to covid it was trading in the 40$/share with a dividend of 1.86 per share annually.

The share price has since dropped a lot due to a weakened economy and trades at ~26$ a share. The re-adjusted dividend is .84 in last year.

It's nothing spectacular but Suncor still has potential to move up and return to high 30s or 40s in next 1-2 years.

The dividends will follow to pre-covid levels.

So while ~4% dividend yield isn't attractive the idea of making 4% yield+stock price growth is.

Should Suncor return to pre-covid levels(why not?) and you buy today(or earlier) you'd be making 1.86$/share dividends on a 26$ buy in. That's closer to a 7.1% return.

It's not sexy and perhaps not sustainable long term I'm very into it for the next 1-2 years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If
Historically, the DOW has done better than the TSX. American companies tend to be better diversified across the globe.

Start with the Dividend Champions and go from there:

https://www.dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp

This is a list of companies that have been increasing dividends for 25, 10, and 5 years. A subset of the Champions (25 years of increases), is the Dividend Aristocrats that have been raising their dividends for more than 50 years.

Look for companies that have been raising dividends by 6% or more. Now look for ones that are less expensive. They are usually less expensive because there is bad news. Is the bad news temporary , or permanent? Companies with PEG ratio between 1 and 2 tend do better.

Canadian banks have been paying dividends for 150+ years without a cut, but with numerous freezes. They are usually the starting point for most Canadians.

The dividend growth all-star list is a good place to start for Canadian stocks:

Canadian Dividend All-Star List - DGI&R

It also depends on your age. If you have 10+ years before retirement, you may want to focus on growth. If you are close to retirement, you may want to focus on yield, or combination of growth and yield. It all depends on your circumstances, and income needs.

I am not a professional, and I am not giving you advice, just ideas for further research.

Confused? Now you are starting to understand. Just keep learning.

Never focus on the day-to-day value of your stocks, it is irrelevant if you are not going to sell (never sell unless a companies circumstances have fundamentally changed), focus on your rising stream of income. The book, "The Snowball" is a good a place as any to start.
If I put them un my RRSP. I believe USA dividends are not taxed. Is this right?

For Canadian, I was thinking about Enbridge. Close to 8% yield

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Any suggestions to a novice on how to be more financially savvy? I have money in RRSPs and TSFAs and I know nothing about mutual funds and stocks. I feel like I'm losing money not being up to date on that stuff.
How I go is do your research into companies you like. For whatever reasons. Some like earnings, over long term they are solid. Some like dividends. Some invest in companies they see for the future. Growth. Some invest in industries they like. I seen some invest because who the CEO is.

For every 5 stocks I invest in. About three will stay the same, or little gain or loss. There is usually one who declines, or goes under. But one usually goes to the moon. I think it is impossible to be right often. Too many factors affecting the market.

I think the average person should be about to bat .600. With enough leg work and patience. Those that say they are always right are either lying or are wealthy than Warren Buffett. Who made 80 billion in the stock market but made tons of mistakes.

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
Dividend stocks are not boring, getting money deposited into your account every day for doing nothing, is not boring. I have tripled my money within a year more than once using dividend stocks, such as Walgreens, Alimentation Couche Tard, and IIPR. Many in the FIRE movement made it with dividend stocks. Canadian banks have given 20 year returns of 15% CAGR. I have handily beaten the stock market for 11 years with dividend stocks. There are many dividend growth stocks.

couch tard is a great growth stock and not a dividend stock. it has a yield of 0.52. most profits are invested back in the company for acquisitions.

walgreens is however.

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal

that's a great return. I'd rather invest in companies like LSPD, SHOP, DND who do not pay out dividends

Weed stocks are the biggest unknown for me. i can't see the industry die, but I'M sure there will a massive consolidation soon. who will be on top remains to be seen.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
If

If I put them un my RRSP. I believe USA dividends are not taxed. Is this right?

For Canadian, I was thinking about Enbridge. Close to 8% yield

The C$ is strong right now, so not an ideal time, but I did a invest a little in the U.S. myself recently. No, you do not pay tax on U.S. divies in an RRSP, but you do in a TFSA.

Enbridge is kind of like a bond, don't expect much capital appreciation, but 8% is good money.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

I have a good mix of dividend and growth stocks. My dividend stocks produce income which I re-invest into new stocks. I have not had to contribute new funds to my TFSA in a while because I have a steady stream of cash available to buy more stocks.

Reactions: llamateizer

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have a good mix of dividend and growth stocks. My dividend stocks produce income which I re-invest into new stocks. I have not had to contribute new funds to my TFSA in a while because I have a steady stream of cash available to buy more stocks.
Which dividend stocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad