Lets talk about stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Bought 200 shares of $BB @16.30CND a few weeks back. It's down around 17% from that, but it is my play money long term hold.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Bought 200 shares of $BB @16.30CND a few weeks back. It's down around 17% from that, but it is my play money long term hold.

I'm no expert in BB or any stocks for that matter but didn't BB have a spike after they sold some patents or something? I forget.

Most analysts have it decreasing in next 12 months. Any reason you are staying long on this one?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I'm no expert in BB or any stocks for that matter but didn't BB have a spike after they sold some patents or something? I forget.

Most analysts have it decreasing in next 12 months. Any reason you are staying long on this one?

Yeah, they got lumped in with the "meme" stocks like Gamestop and AMC, so they rode the wave and shot up over 300% until it crashed back down. It's still up over 50% from the beginning of the year though.

I am betting long on the fact that their QNX software will be a big player in the autonomous vehicle field. They recently partnered up with AWS to integrate with their IoT platform. So it might take a number of years, but I'm feeling bullish on Blackberry.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Soon... in like 20 years? That's quite enough time to make a lot of money on it.

Oil probably has way more than 20 years but I have dropped them too... First, I think we reached the peak in usage, so it's gonna be difficult to show growth unless the price rises a lot but if the price rises a lot, it will only accelerate the adoption of alternative energy source.

But the main reason I am bearish is that the new generation is increasingly asking for a responsible / green portfolio. If the institutional investor and the pension money slowly gets out, the index will track it and it's a downward spiral of death.

Probably a good dividend play tho.

Reactions: Woland

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not gonna lie, I always have Salt-N-Pepa's song in my head whenever I see this thread's title

Reactions: llamateizer

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I am betting long on the fact that their QNX software will be a big player in the autonomous vehicle field. They recently partnered up with AWS to integrate with their IoT platform. So it might take a number of years, but I'm feeling bullish on Blackberry.

I have heard that too, however, I like Magna in the autonomous vehicle field as a number of players in the industry will not build their own vehicles, such as Apple. They also have great growth history

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Ford pulled the plug on BB and went with Google. Hopefully it's not a trend. I bought at 9 hoping for 20 by the end of the year, sold when the meme madness drove it up. Still like the stock though.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Any suggestions to a novice on how to be more financially savvy? I have money in RRSPs and TSFAs and I know nothing about mutual funds and stocks. I feel like I'm losing money not being up to date on that stuff.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
whats everyone's go to canadian ETFs? Im starting a RRSP account and I wanna play it safe and just pickup ETFS. So far, I have the VFV tracking the SP500

I currently have XRE which is a REIT. I also have BETZ in sight for the long term.

But, all the S&P 500, emergent market, green energy ETF would be good I think long term!

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Any suggestions to a novice on how to be more financially savvy? I have money in RRSPs and TSFAs and I know nothing about mutual funds and stocks. I feel like I'm losing money not being up to date on that stuff.

Read, read and read more. Go slow because you have a ton of time in front of you for compounded returns.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

read Pete Lynch books, William O'Neil's How to make money in stocks.

That's what I started on in Finance class, of course that was in the '90's.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
What's a good dividend stock?

Historically, the DOW has done better than the TSX. American companies tend to be better diversified across the globe.

Start with the Dividend Champions and go from there:

https://www.dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp

This is a list of companies that have been increasing dividends for 25, 10, and 5 years. A subset of the Champions (25 years of increases), is the Dividend Aristocrats that have been raising their dividends for more than 50 years.

Look for companies that have been raising dividends by 6% or more. Now look for ones that are less expensive. They are usually less expensive because there is bad news. Is the bad news temporary , or permanent? Companies with PEG ratio between 1 and 2 tend do better.

Canadian banks have been paying dividends for 150+ years without a cut, but with numerous freezes. They are usually the starting point for most Canadians.

The dividend growth all-star list is a good place to start for Canadian stocks:

Canadian Dividend All-Star List - DGI&R

It also depends on your age. If you have 10+ years before retirement, you may want to focus on growth. If you are close to retirement, you may want to focus on yield, or combination of growth and yield. It all depends on your circumstances, and income needs.

I am not a professional, and I am not giving you advice, just ideas for further research.

Confused? Now you are starting to understand. Just keep learning.

Never focus on the day-to-day value of your stocks, it is irrelevant if you are not going to sell (never sell unless a companies circumstances have fundamentally changed), focus on your rising stream of income. The book, "The Snowball" is a good a place as any to start.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’ve got some btc and will never sell it. Haven’t bought into eth, but thought about it.

I’ve got some FLT and yes some GME diamond hands lol

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I currently have XRE which is a REIT. I also have BETZ in sight for the long term.

But, all the S&P 500, emergent market, green energy ETF would be good I think long term!

I agree! I’m going a little hard right now on the VFV etf , I wanna get some betz too. I own a lot of them already in my tfsa but i wanna pick up the etf for the long. Igaming/sports gambling industry is my favorite emerging market

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Moved my investment account mostly to crypto for swing trades, going long on Cardano, Eth and BTC. I have more faith in digital trends than paper money that can be printed over and over again
This is the way imo.

Reactions: Habs

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
see my earlier post as a starting point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad