OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
When, though?

Curb immigration and reverse the trend with respect to supply. When are we curbing immigration? Next election cycle maybe?

Millenials all want to get in now so they can kick off family business, and boomers don't necessarily want to leave their properties. How do you fix it?

The US housing market took a pounding in the late 2000's... did ours? Nope. Prices just kept increasing steadily. Gotta go way far back to see the last correction.

View attachment 468466

https://globalnews.ca/news/8133853/canada-election-housing-crisis-explained/

When? Who knows. There will be an event that leads to the correction. Who could have predicted the credit crisis in the US in 2008.

The good news is most will be ok. Average cdn mortgage is 350k and 65 percent of homeowners have no mortgage. So no doomer predictions here. But 20-40 percent will happen at some point, no bubble lasts forever

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
When? Who knows. There will be an event that leads to the correction. Who could have predicted the credit crisis in the US in 2008.

The good news is most will be ok. Average cdn mortgage is 350k and 65 percent of homeowners have no mortgage. So no doomer predictions here. But 20-40 percent will happen at some point, no bubble lasts forever

2008? Did you even read my 3rd para?

"The US housing market took a pounding in the late 2000's... did ours? Nope. Prices just kept increasing steadily. Gotta go way far back to see the last correction."

If you think 65% of home owners in Canada have NO mortgage you're pretty, pretty high my friend. Nearly 48% of Canadians aged 25 to 35 own their home, are most people paying cash or something? Jeez.

25+ years WITHOUT a major correction. Think about it.

No crisis in Finland, Japan or Denmark for very specific reasons. Canada is a playground with very few rules, and they all happen to bend. Greed and the Hunt for bigger profit margins are hidden by smiles and social programs. It's not changing in any major way anytime soon, so sober up.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
2008? Did you even read my 3rd para?

"The US housing market took a pounding in the late 2000's... did ours? Nope. Prices just kept increasing steadily. Gotta go way far back to see the last correction."

If you think 65% of home owners in Canada have NO mortgage you're pretty, pretty high my friend. Nearly 48% of Canadians aged 25 to 35 own their home, are most people paying cash or something? Jeez.

25+ years WITHOUT a major correction. Think about it.

No crisis in Finland, Japan or Denmark for very specific reasons. Canada is a playground with very few rules, and they all happen to bend. Greed and the Hunt for bigger profit margins are hidden by smiles and social programs. It's not changing in any major way anytime soon, so sober up.

Ok bud, no correction ever is your take. And I’m high and need to sober up.

Recency bias much?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
When, though?

Curb immigration and reverse the trend with respect to supply. When are we curbing immigration? Next election cycle maybe?

Millenials all want to get in now so they can kick off family business, and boomers don't necessarily want to leave their properties. How do you fix it?

The US housing market took a pounding in the late 2000's... did ours? Nope. Prices just kept increasing steadily. Gotta go way far back to see the last correction.

View attachment 468466

https://globalnews.ca/news/8133853/canada-election-housing-crisis-explained/

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's way too volatile to be a store of value. I didn't do any analysis about it, but I doubt there's a correlation between inflation and Bitcoin prices. You're basically saying the same speech gold bugs have for gold, and they were wrong since the 1980s. Bitcoin remains a speculative investment first and foremost.
We will see, I think you’re way off with probably almost no background in the crypto space.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Anyone else here in the stock PKK a canadian financial company with a great future.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Bitcoin is surging back with the rumors of a Bitcoin Futures ETF trading in the US. If it happens, can Bitcoin hit 100K? It should boost its value for sure. Should be a fun few weeks ahead.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bitcoin is surging back with the rumors of a Bitcoin Futures ETF trading in the US. If it happens, can Bitcoin hit 100K? It should boost its value for sure. Should be a fun few weeks ahead.
I knew it would once I sold out. I was in BTC for 8 months made $200. Got fed up with it.

On brighter note, notice TSLA, HD, RY and CNI. My 4 main ones. All had good week. I have done well this week. I have 405 shares of Tesla alone.

Reactions: QuebecPride

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I knew it would once I sold out. I was in BTC for 8 months made $200. Got fed up with it.

On brighter note, notice TSLA, HD, RY and CNI. My 4 main ones. All had good week. I have done well this week. I have 405 shares of Tesla alone.

Haha Bitcoin is not for the faint of heart... I totally get it, I prefer ETH more now. Fingers crossed there are other ETFs launched for Solana or Cardano eventually.

My LEV bet is not very profitable right now. I mostly bought at 19$ and 18$ and it's down to 13,73$ today. I'll try to stay for the long run as I have faith in the company. I should probably put some more in if it stays that low. It's my first direct stock investing, otherwise all I have is ETFs. It affirms my belief that stock-picking is not easy.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Haha Bitcoin is not for the faint of heart... I totally get it, I prefer ETH more now. Fingers crossed there are other ETFs launched for Solana or Cardano eventually.

My LEV bet is not very profitable right now. I mostly bought at 19$ and 18$ and it's down to 13,73$ today. I'll try to stay for the long run as I have faith in the company. I should probably put some more in if it stays that low. It's my first direct stock investing, otherwise all I have is ETFs. It affirms my belief that stock-picking is not easy.
Keep an eye on Catgirl. It jumped 70% yesterday

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

It's not. It take a few bad trades that ruins your chance to beat S&P 500.

1 yr return is

S&P 500: 28%
my retirement plan : 21%
my growth stocks : 36% (9 months, not annualized)
BTC : 30% (8 months not annualized)
Div stocks : 20%.

What is crazy is that I started buying BTC at ATH (55-56k)
HODL, DCA and buy when it crashed to 30k. I wake up today with 30% profit over BTC is surreal.

My long terme plan.

invest slowly in S&P 500,
use 1-2 growths stock and gamble.
HODL BTC until I can retire or bust
Div Stocks will be used for cash flow.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My stocks have mostly done well this year. My two Montreal stocks nuvei and lspd have been pretty awesome (although lspd has had recent volatility.) EGLX has been my only loser but I’m hanging in on that one.

What concerns me is the fear that we’re likely in a bubble. As much as I love growth stocks the valuations are frothy.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My stocks have mostly done well this year. My two Montreal stocks nuvei and lspd have been pretty awesome (although lspd has had recent volatility.) EGLX has been my only loser but I’m hanging in on that one.

What concerns me is the fear that we’re likely in a bubble. As much as I love growth stocks the valuations are frothy.
Yup, stock market is a cash cow. Once you get to know what you are doing. It is however, an on-going learning process. I made more last year in stocks than my local MLA made in salary. Which to most of you is not big deal but to me it is big deal. Because I only work in a factory at a moderate hourly wage.

I doubt we are in a bubble. It will dip again, but bounce right back. Can't see a collapse. I am expecting a decent fall and winter in the market

Reactions: llamateizer

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yup, stock market is a cash cow. Once you get to know what you are doing. It is however, an on-going learning process. I made more last year in stocks than my local MLA made in salary. Which to most of you is not big deal but to me it is big deal. Because I only work in a factory at a moderate hourly wage.

I doubt we are in a bubble. It will dip again, but bounce right back. Can't see a collapse. I am expecting a decent fall and winter in the market
Stock market is also dangerous though. :laugh:

This is one of the best bull markets ever. So yeah a retail investor like me has been able to make some money but a lot of stocks (many I own) are priced for perfection.

But man, if inflation does take hold and things start to slip, we may see another big pop. I’m seeing more and more ‘bubble’ warnings in the news.

Of course.,. they could just be bears looking to make some money but who knows? As a retail investor I unfortunately will be among the last to know when to sell.

Speaking of bears, I got mauled temporarily on LSPD because a company that makes its money shorting released a brutal report on them… who knows? But I’m hanging in.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Stock market is also dangerous though. :laugh:

This is one of the best bull markets ever. So yeah a retail investor like me has been able to make some money but a lot of stocks (many I own) are priced for perfection.

But man, if inflation does take hold and things start to slip, we may see another big pop. I’m seeing more and more ‘bubble’ warnings in the news.

Of course.,. they could just be bears looking to make some money but who knows? As a retail investor I unfortunately will be among the last to know when to sell.

Speaking of bears, I got mauled temporarily on LSPD because a company that makes its money shorting released a brutal report on them… who knows? But I’m hanging in.
LSPD I am not into that one. But will keep my eye on it.

I find even the average Joe, will make big money in stock market if he stays in. Takes awhile to learn but majority will master it. Trick is to be right more often than be wrong.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
LSPD I am not into that one. But will keep my eye on it.

I find even the average Joe, will make big money in stock market if he stays in. Takes awhile to learn but majority will master it. Trick is to be right more often than be wrong.
I think LSPD is going to go up pretty quickly. It got mauled and is now back up about 12 percent this week. Earnings coming in a month.

I think Nuvei might actually be better though long term because it’s already posting profits.

EGLX? Well, that’s a whole other story…

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
I think LSPD is going to go up pretty quickly. It got mauled and is now back up about 12 percent this week. Earnings coming in a month.

I think Nuvei might actually be better though long term because it’s already posting profits.

EGLX? Well, that’s a whole other story…

In my brief time investing ive learned that you can beat the indexes yearly returns in a day almost every single time one of those short reports comes out and you buy it on the dip. Always comes right back up after, well at least a bit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In my brief time investing ive learned that you can beat the indexes yearly returns in a day almost every single time one of those short reports comes out and you buy it on the dip. Always comes right back up after, well at least a bit.
Yeah, but they tried with Shopify and I don’t think it went down.

Anyways you would’ve made a killing on this .

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Yeah, but they tried with Shopify and I don’t think it went down.

Anyways you would’ve made a killing on this .

Check out ALLO, dropped almost 50% on a fda test trial hold a week or so ago. Came back up 25% plus over the last week then i think they did one of those phony lawsuits "on behalf of investors" that i read about this weekend. Hoping it tanks tomorrow morning and i can grab the bottom! Either way most are predicting the hold comes off within a few weeks and it recovers into the 20's again.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
If someone with a little more experience could bring me down to earth on the perils of this strategy i would apreciate it.

Last pulled this off earlier this month with CEI after the oct 5th Kerrisdale capital report.
Bought on the 6th and sold on the 7th for 85% gain.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Anyone is trading options here ? I'm doing the Wheel. I wonder what would be the best options strategy. Or a safe strategy that brings a fair return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad