Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What in the world's come over you
What in heaven's name have you done
You've broken the speed of the sound of loneliness
You're out there running just to be on the run.

I love Nancy's version and her drawl is just adorable.

Huh .... what show is this from? Or did you mean to post this in the music thread? :dunno:

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

So it does have to do with a Per post in the Music thread?

The tangled (inter)webs we weave.

Never mind, I see what you were replying to:

I am almost finished with Case Histories, the first season was really good, the second season is not as good (I have one episode left) but still worthy of watching and there are some great songs in these 2 seasons, Nancy Griffiths's version of John Prime's "The Speed of the Sound of Loneliness ", she does some really good covers. I have the "Other Voices Other Rooms" where that song is from. Overall I definitely like these 2 seasons and it's nice to see Jason Isaacs in a sympathetic role, he is usually a bad guy and I was also surprised how fit he looks.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watched the first two episodes of Manifest.

And during the whole time, I wondered -- just like the characters in Manifest -- how I was robbed of time.

In week's AMLT (acronym, cause Ozy loves them), there was a big reveal. Now, if Jon's gifts are going keep coming like it happened in P.S. I Love You, where Gerard Butler showered his girlfriend Hillary Swank with a gift a day after his death, for ten days -- then it will have fallen into an irreversible pit of cheesiness and I'll pull the plug.

Having watched interviews with the main actors, a lot of what's coming will be flashbacks. This Jon guy will have as much time on screen as those he left behind. There's going to be a lot of stuff that seeps out. Apparently, strong friendships always tread on several layers of toxic waste. This series is supposed to peel them like an onion -- hopefully there will be enough behind it to be watchable.

Thanks for the heads up about Manifest. I wasn't hooked like I was with Lost's first 15 minutes so I am not sure I'll continue.

Nice acronym for AMLT. Took me a few seconds to understand what that was even though I knew you were talking about the show. That last episode was a bit cheesy though I guess if my wife keeps crying, we'll keep watching.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I am almost finished with Case Histories, the first season was really good, the second season is not as good (I have one episode left) but still worthy of watching and there are some great songs in these 2 seasons, Nancy Griffiths's version of John Prime's "The Speed of the Sound of Loneliness ", she does some really good covers. I have the "Other Voices Other Rooms" where that song is from. Overall I definitely like these 2 seasons and it's nice to see Jason Isaacs in a sympathetic role, he is usually a bad guy and I was also surprised how fit he looks.

That's the song that stood out for me during the series as well. She does a really great job with the song.

This song from Mary Gauthier is great as well.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the heads up about Manifest. I wasn't hooked like I was with Lost's first 15 minutes so I am not sure I'll continue.

Nice acronym for AMLT. Took me a few seconds to understand what that was even though I knew you were talking about the show. That last episode was a bit cheesy though I guess if my wife keeps crying, we'll keep watching.

Temporarily unhappy wife, still happy life. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This looks promising. A series on HBO set to debut on November 18th. It's based on an international bestseller, a 4-part novel called "My Brilliant Friend".

I saw the first novel many times at Indigo, its cover stood out. It was always on that table in the store where are placed all the books that "Heather recommends." I was always intrigued by it and finally purchased the first novel a couple of months ago. Didn't get around to reading it but now I have additional incentive.

It's an 8-episode series, for which we have a trailer:

I have traveled through Italy and it is my impression that the depictions in the trailer, are grounded in the reality of Naples in the 1950s. I have also had the benefit of being told similar stories from the sons and daughters of immigrants whose parents moved to Canada as part of a large wave of immigration from the late 50s into the mid-60s. And, was lucky enough to have heard countless accounts directly from those who lived that era in Naples, both from those who remained in Italy and those who chose to immigrate. I was fortunate to have studied the Italian language and culture during months spent in Florence.

Given the good fortune I had in learning the subject matter, I am really looking forward to this. However, I'm also hoping the series is engrossing on its own merits for viewers at large.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here it is now - :thumbd:

GoodKiwi is not a fence-sitter. You can readily tell where he stands on just about any TV series. Take for example ... the above rating. :D

His no-holds barred approach as a TV show critic, are well known in HF entertainment industry threads.

flp9Y59.jpg

The depiction on the right page, above, that looks like some kind of dial meter? It recently appeared in the above industry mag as a folding page spread.

Luckily, we were able to reproduce it here:

2k2rcx.jpg

The dial identifies the various thresholds that assist in the initial decision-making as to whether a series is worth investing time. Anything over 4 episodes in a series, is at risk of being ignored or getting terminated early. Other factors then come into play, such as screenplay, performance, country of origin of the series, etc. However, everything starts with the above meter reading.

And now, we return you to our regular in-thread programming.

:sarcasm:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
GoodKiwi is not a fence-sitter. You can readily tell where he stands on just about any TV series. Take for example ... the above rating. :D

His no-holds barred approach as a TV show critic, are well known in HF entertainment industry threads.

flp9Y59.jpg

The depiction on the right page, above, that looks like some kind of dial meter? It recently appeared in the above industry mag as a folding page spread.

Luckily, we were able to reproduce it here:

2k2rcx.jpg

The dial identifies the various thresholds that assist in the initial decision-making as to whether a series is worth investing time. Anything over 4 episodes in a series, is at risk of being ignored or getting terminated early. Other factors then come into play, such as screenplay, performance, country of origin of the series, etc. However, everything starts with the above meter reading.

And now, we return you to our regular in-thread programming.

:sarcasm:
Only two things:

:bow:

:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's incredible what Chef's Table does in its fifth season. These episodes are so far removed from what thew series was originally. I love both angles, I really do. Just didn't see such a seismic shift coming as I started the latest season of it. Can't remember the last show I saw evolve as much as this one. Again, I'm not saying that it is better now (it is still, as it's always been, great). Just that it's radically different now.

I accept that the entire focus of the series is rather narrow. Yet it happens to be something I've always been interested in - food and its culture. It is evident now that food and all that it encompasses cannot be scaled or measured given conventional parameters. It's very much binding across every level of human society and you could clearly see that if you watch Chef's Table. It's not even about your acceptance of the perspective each episode casts. The bound is so primal that it seems there's nothing in terms of production values that could stand in its way.

Traditionalism versus fusion. Is that even a battle worth paying attention to? What does each term imply really? Does anyone know anymore? Has anyone ever known?

We can think of food as anything ranging from snobby art (as some might perceive it) to survival, discovery and ancestry. Pride, religion, environment, vanity...I could go on and on. Every plate of food you are served carries all of that range and more if you care to really look at what you're about to eat.

9.4960965079/10

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's incredible what Chef's Table does in its fifth season. These episodes are so far removed from what thew series was originally. I love both angles, I really do. Just didn't see such a seismic shift coming as I started the latest season of it. Can't remember the last show I saw evolve as much as this one. Again, I'm not saying that it is better now (it is still, as it's always been, great). Just that it's radically different now.

I accept that the entire focus of the series is rather narrow. Yet it happens to be something I've always been interested in - food and its culture. It is evident now that food and all that it encompasses cannot be scaled or measured given conventional parameters. It's very much binding across every level of human society and you could clearly see that if you watch Chef's Table. It's not even about your acceptance of the perspective each episode casts. The bound is so primal that it seems there's nothing in terms of production values that could stand in its way.

Traditionalism versus fusion. Is that even a battle worth paying attention to? What does each term imply really? Does anyone know anymore? Has anyone ever known?

We can think of food as anything ranging from snobby art (as some might perceive it) to survival, discovery and ancestry. Pride, religion, environment, vanity...I could go on and on. Every plate of food you are served carries all of that range and more if you care to really look at what you're about to eat.

9.4960965079/10

We're going to have to devise another dial meter for that errr... elaborate mantissa of a rating.

There is something exquisitely Bourdainian in your description of the show. I wonder how much of it was influenced by the traveling grand master.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just got home after watching First Man. I really liked it, Gosling (who is now on my top list of male actors) is really good and so is the woman who plays his wife, Claire Foy. I haven't seen her before so I assumed it was an American actress then my wife told me she played Queen Elisabeth. Even though you know what happened it was still very thrilling and also sad.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Watched the Netflix Anime series based on Castlevania.

I always thought Anime and vampires were a marriage made in heaven, I think it's just perfect because for a long time Anime drew their male warrior heroes like deadly tall and thin beautiful figures. Not to mention the sensuality, violence and extreme emotions and the exagerated voice over work. That is why I thought for years that The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice shoud be done in Anime. Furthermore, a few years ago I discovered on You Tube an Anime version of the great Marvel Comics series Tomb of Dracula. It was in Spanish with no dubbing so I didn't understand it but the execution was all there. For the little I saw, it was very well done and it was close to what I was talking about. (and yes I am aware of Vampire Hunter D)

Now I watched this Castlevania and it was almost the marriage made in Heaven of what I was thinking about. There's Dracula, the Catholic church, Dracula's son, the Belmont family who are a legacy of Monster hunters who are beautiful badass warriors. A lot of blood and violence and betrayal and so forth. The only thing it lacked was the sensuality I was hoping for. It's an anglo-occidental version of Anime and these guys are more prude. I liked most of it but the main problem was they didn't give it enough time to dig deeper. It was 4 episodes of about 20 minutes. When really it needed at least 8 episodes of 40 minutes each. But I understand there's gonna be a second and third season and the second season is 8 episodes.

Another thing that should get the Anime form is Game of Thrones. So they could do all the things they could not on the show. Or maybe they could do the Targaryen's Dance of Dragons.

Reactions: ArtPeur

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
We're going to have to devise another dial meter for that errr... elaborate mantissa of a rating.

There is something exquisitely Bourdainian in your description of the show. I wonder how much of it was influenced by the traveling grand master.
Probably about 100% of it, give or take.

AB shaped me as a food enthusiast. I will never hide from that fact.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Just got home after watching First Man. I really liked it, Gosling (who is now on my top list of male actors) is really good and so is the woman who plays his wife, Claire Foy. I haven't seen her before so I assumed it was an American actress then my wife told me she played Queen Elisabeth. Even though you know what happened it was still very thrilling and also sad.
Any talk of conspiracy? Fake moon landings as we know them? :laugh:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
A Man For All Seasons : 7.8/10 good movie

The Piano Teacher: 4/10 Could have been a decent movie if the movie was about the music and not crazy BDSM sex stuff.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah but ... where's the pepper? :D
a Pepper episode would have pushed the show beyond its 4 existing episodes (Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat) and its rating on the industry standard, the GoodKiwi dial, would surely suffer for it. :D

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is just so eerily coincidental.. or is it? The fourth to last ever episode of Boudrain's Parts Unknown is a actually a special titled "Impact". What kind of an impact you ask? That of Anthony being on your television set for the last 13 years or so. It's magnificent and sad to watch, both at once.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Watching The Haunting at Hill House on Netflix and is actually quite enjoyable. I remember seeing the movie years back and thought I'd give it a shot.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Any talk of conspiracy? Fake moon landings as we know them? :laugh:

Nope, the story in the film ends way before the conspiracy started to be popular. There is some other information that I was unaware of with regards to the test flights they did before the real one, but that would spoil some of the fun so I keep my mouth and keyboard shut for now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad