OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Braveheart was actually... a bit kind to Edward II.

But what's actually propagandized (?) in King's Speech?

It's part of the general Hollywood picture that WW2 was won due to the British and the Americans alone. It focuses on the British royalty. The Imitation Game was much worse. The impression the movie gives was that George's overcoming of his stutter was a key moment in WWII. It was not.

More specifically the role of Winston Churchill is utterly ridiculous and false. It's completely made up. He's not earned by the movie's plot, he just shows up at the end like a genie and does things in the movie not earned by the movie and which he did not do in real life. They do this because Churchill is worshipped in popular mythology, so in a way the movie exacerbates said popular mythology. They made history less interesting in the process. It was a cheap narrative trick to increase audience investment.

Writer's room:
"World war two, England, how can we make it more meaningful to the audience?"
"Let's bring in Winston Churchill and have him say things that the plot demands !!!!"

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's part of the general Hollywood picture that WW2 was won due to the British and the Americans alone. It focuses on the British royalty. The Imitation Game was much worse. The impression the movie gives was that George's overcoming of his stutter was a key moment in WWII. It was not.

More specifically the role of Winston Churchill is utterly ridiculous and false. It's completely made up. He's not earned by the movie's plot, he just shows up at the end like a genie and does things in the movie not earned by the movie and which he did not do in real life. They do this because Churchill is worshipped in popular mythology, so in a way the movie exacerbates said popular mythology. They made history less interesting in the process. It was a cheap narrative trick to increase audience investment.

Writer's room:
"World war two, England, how can we make it more meaningful to the audience?"
"Let's bring in Winston Churchill and have him say things that the plot demands !!!!"

Oh, okay.
Things I take for "granted" in every (or so) Western perspective on the topic. You'll admit that most of the Anglo-Saxon world thinks WWII was indeed won by UK/US. They certainly played a part... Just not the most important one.

Churchill would be hated in this era. Like, ABSOLUTELY reviled. Wouldn't be awarded a Nobel.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Has anyone seen This is us? A friend of mine recommended it and I must admit it's pretty good. Trials and tribulations of a racially mixed family, a comedy-drama without the usual gratuitous sex and violence. Once in a while a TV show stands out and this is one of them.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Just saw Split.

First of all I am an incurable M. Night Shyamalan fan. I enjoyed all his movies that everyone hated.

Split was good as a movie. But honestly McAvoy's performance alone brings it up to great. I could watch him portray that character for hours and be completley engrossed in it. Awesome acting on his part just awesome. Loved Hedwig's dance etc. ( those who have seen it will get the etc.)

As a movie a solid 7.5-8/10

McAvoy as Kevin 10/10

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You enjoyed The Happening?

Yep, I thought it had great atmosphere, a great setting and good camera work.

The concept was a little silly, but you have to accept that, just like how tons of adults accept the fact when they're watching superhero movies that there watching grown men and women in stupid costumes saving the world or the city over and over again.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well, maybe just the fact that the story never really happened? King George overcame his stuttering problem years before the war.

The story is about King George overcoming a speech impediment. That *did* happen. To suggest it didn't because the story was dramatized and moved around in a time line to use the war as part of the drama is just plain silly.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Just saw Manchester by the Sea.

Wasn't convinced at first, but damn. So poignant. Hits right in the feels. Kinda depressing though.

Affleck A++

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The story is about King George overcoming a speech impediment. That *did* happen. To suggest it didn't because the story was dramatized and moved around in a time line to use the war as part of the drama is just plain silly.

Without that important shift in time, you just don't have a story.

I'm not against twisting the facts a bit in order to have a better narrative, but sometimes, I do feel like they're pushing it a little too far.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, maybe just the fact that the story never really happened? King George overcame his stuttering problem years before the war.

I didn't want to go there.

I actually just had issues relating that to propaganda... like, 80 years or so after the fact.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ideology is strongest when people are oblivious to its presence.

Where there has to be... something to propagand!

If the perspective that UK won the WWII was unique to this movie, then... maybe I could see it.

IMO, Braveheart had more propaganda elements than The King's Speech. The semi-deification of Churchill is a bit deplorable, but that movie isn't exactly the worst offender in that regards.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Just saw Split.

First of all I am an incurable M. Night Shyamalan fan. I enjoyed all his movies that everyone hated.

Split was good as a movie. But honestly McAvoy's performance alone brings it up to great. I could watch him portray that character for hours and be completley engrossed in it. Awesome acting on his part just awesome. Loved Hedwig's dance etc. ( those who have seen it will get the etc.)

As a movie a solid 7.5-8/10

McAvoy as Kevin 10/10

I'm glad he's making a comeback of sorts. I like his style as well but some of his were getting a little ridiculous. Still, I think he has a few more good stories in him.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
You enjoyed The Happening?

I have to say, I'm a big M Night fan but the Happening disappointed me a bit. I loved the start of it, and seemed like it just couldn't keep the pace for the rest of the movie. The start made it seem like it was going to be a great action packed movie or something.... ah well. Still decent. My fave of his is still Unbreakable.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I'm glad he's making a comeback of sorts. I like his style as well but some of his were getting a little ridiculous. Still, I think he has a few more good stories in him.

There are two movies he directed that are pretty disgraceful - 'The Last Air Bender' and 'After Earth'

But when he sticks with his style or mystery & suspense I've enjoyed his body of work:

In order for me:

The Sixth Sense
The Village
Unbreakable
Split
Signs
The Happening
The Visit
Devil ( co-Director I believe )
Lady in the Water

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Ah, yes, that brilliant film where the entire movie is a guy standing at a grave remembering events that he wasn't even there for.

Great choice.

The NHL observers should make you sit a spell cause you sound like you have a concussion.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The NHL observers should make you sit a spell cause you sound like you have a concussion.

What are you talking about?

The entire film is framed as Private Ryan, visiting the grave of Tom Hanks, remembering his rescue.

The problem, of course, is that 90 percent of the "memory" is things that happened long before Private Ryan is in the movie. He is only there for the very end.

So the entire movie is the memory of a person that couldn't possibly be remembering these things.

If you don't see the issue there, perhaps you have a concussion.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
I see where you can get that, but it's a retelling of the series of events that led to this man and his family going to the cemetery that day and what the troubled look on his face could be. Not his memory.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ah, yes, that brilliant film where the entire movie is a guy standing at a grave remembering events that he wasn't even there for.

Great choice.

Yet I will take any 5 minutes in any places in Saving Private Ryan and it will be more captivating than the whole The Boring King.

But it's not even that SPR is great but that it won against Shakespear in Love. Like TKP win.

Again I'm shocked that somebody is getting so worked up defending this movie. Are you sure you're not a 65 years old member of the academy? :laugh:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yet I will take any 5 minutes in any places in Saving Private Ryan and it will be more captivating than the whole The Boring King.

But it's not even that SPR is great but that it won against Shakespear in Love. Like TKP win.

Again I'm shocked that somebody is getting so worked up defending this movie. Are you sure you're not a 65 years old member of the academy? :laugh:

I prefer The Kings Speech to Saving Private Ryan. I actually liked Shakespeare in Love better than Saving Private Ryan as well though.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I saw the last Resident Evil yesterday

Realy good as usual but a bit repetitive with their paterns. The finale is kind of bizarre but it was a solid performance OV, better than the last one for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad