OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Started watching This is Us with the wife. I wasn't really wanting to but must admit I enjoyed the first epiisode enough to give this series a try. Much funnier than I expected it to be.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
damn that last Westworld episode gave me goosebumps, what a show.

It's picking up, they're at episode 3 now. I'm not sure where it's headed but that's what's making it interesting.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Two episodes in, I'm finding 11.22.63 to be very bad (writing, dialogue, acting). This is a total dud IMO. The show has no redeeming qualities and it makes me angry because the novel deserved better.

After a powerful opening scene it turned into horse manure quicker than I could blink.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Two episodes in, I'm finding 11.22.63 to be very bad (writing, dialogue, acting). This is a total dud IMO. The show has no redeeming qualities and it makes me angry because the novel deserved better.

After a powerful opening scene it turned into horse manure quicker than I could blink.

I believe yours is the first negative review we've had here. It does start slow and is not exactly fast paced but nor were the 60s. :sarcasm:

It does get better as it moves along. That Oswald character is spot on. But, I also realize it's not for everyone. Nothing ever is.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I believe yours is the first negative review we've had here. It does start slow and is not exactly fast paced but nor were the 60s. :sarcasm:

It does get better as it moves along. That Oswald character is spot on. But, I also realize it's not for everyone. Nothing ever is.

I never have issues with show's pace provided it is developed right.

Here my problem is the exact opposite. Things develop too fast, the characters are paper thin. I mean, Al shows Jake the "rabbit hole" something like 10 minutes into the show!

Who are these people who have supposedly known one another "10-12 years"? It's stitched together so quickly and so roughly. There's zero character development, there's zero trust the viewer has for either Franco's or Cooper's characters. It all feels like a B grade sci-fi film made for TV. Everything is so shallow and forced - I can feel the awful script behind this.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I never have issues with show's pace provided it is developed right.

Here my problem is the exact opposite. Things develop too fast, the characters are paper thin. I mean, Al shows Jake the "rabbit hole" something like 10 minutes into the show!

Who are these people who have supposedly known one another "10-12 years"? It's stitched together so quickly and so roughly. There's zero character development, there's zero trust the viewer has for either Franco's or Cooper's characters. It all feels like a B grade sci-fi film made for TV. Everything is so shallow and forced - I can feel the awful script behind this.

So the exact opposite of the book, I see. I had the feeling it was going to be that way. In the book, it takes a crazy amount of time before getting to the JFK/Oswald stuff. There's a lot of time-travelling and when you get there, there's a fully-realised World and every little things meant something.

From afar I was pretty disappointed they picked James Franco for the lead character, I think he's better in character-actor roles than in lead parts.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of shows with slower pace... "The Night Of" is one remarkable example of how to do drama right IMO.

It becomes more and more horrifying with every of its near still scenes and weights on your with its heft and hopelessness.

I feel it's akin to being fed through one giant meat-grinder - every spin of the lever takes a part of you away, it hurts yet you know you can't do anything about it.

Hairs on the back on my neck stand up every time I think about what it would be like to be in Khan's skin.

I usually think that HBO's dramas are over-hyped but this is some great TV. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight before I finish it all. Half way through it, I think it's one of the very best TV pieces of 2016.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
"20 milligrams...wow...

I'm not saying this is gonna happen... but possible side effects from taking steroids this strong...like you know...hair loss, explosive acne, shrinking balls...

On the other hand, there's an excellent chance you'll hit 75 homers this year."

:laugh:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
It's picking up (WestWorld), they're at episode 3 now. I'm not sure where it's headed but that's what's making it interesting.

I saw a few commercials...looks VERY interesting.
I think JJ Abrams is the producer or director?

----------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

And, Stranger Things...is it all hype or is it really good/original?
(Twin Peaks' good?! or just hype? cheers).

continued here:

Saw The Accountant yesterday. I enjoyed it 7.5/10, good acting and some pretty good acting.

Really? Affleck...good acting, or the other actors in it?
(didn't see the movie...but was just wondering...cheers).

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal

I thought Affleck was pretty good, he has some degree of Aspergers in the movie and I though he did a pretty good job.

Stranger Things is a bit of hype and is also quite good. I really like the 80's setting and soundtrack. Definitely worth a try at least.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
strangers things is the most hyped things ive seen in a long time. its good yes, but its been hyped to me so much that it never quite never lived up to expectations - which were crazy to begin with

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

stranger things isn't exactly original. borrows from a lot of 80s sci fi/horror but it didn't bother me. I quite liked it. Could've been better. There's so many things about that one where you could say 'they could've done this better' but the sum is greater than it's parts. I really enjoyed it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
With the help of Et Le But, I was going to order a bunch of Criterion collection movies during their flash sale... then realized they don't ship to Europe. So I got the following films in Criterion edition sent to my little brother.

The Thin Red Line, Dazed and Confused, Battle of Algiers, and Seven Samurai. The first two are personal faves and I really wanted the special features. The latter two are classics.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which Black Dynamite are people referring to in this thread? The 2009 movie or the animated series?

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
Black Dynamite the movie is really funny, especially the explanation scene in the restaurant.

Stranger Things is my favorite "new" show so far this year. I will binge-watch Westworld when all the first season will be out.

Never saw Twin Peaks.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

i should also add that i wouldn't compare it to twin peaks. twin peaks was completely its own universe.
stranger things is nothing like that.

is it as good? i wouldn't say so. twin peaks is a bit patchy when Lynch kind of leaves the show for a bit in the 2nd season but its still pretty top notch as a whole though i still have to watch the movie.

stranger things is a bit overhyped but its a fun watch

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It's different but it does have a Twin Peaks vibe to it. It borrows heavily from Stephen King's scifi stories. A character literaly makes a reference to the similitudes in a scene. The logo of the show is also highly reminiscient of King novel covers.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
With the help of Et Le But, I was going to order a bunch of Criterion collection movies during their flash sale... then realized they don't ship to Europe. So I got the following films in Criterion edition sent to my little brother.

The Thin Red Line, Dazed and Confused, Battle of Algiers, and Seven Samurai. The first two are personal faves and I really wanted the special features. The latter two are classics.

There was a flash sale?

Is it over?

EDIT:

Damn, it is over ... what kind of deals did they have? What id you pay for Dazed, for example?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad