OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Meh, I didnt mean the other Bonds were better. I meant it sucks, overall. Its a glorified fast and furious at this point.

The music is always on point though.

Im not the biggest of Bond fan, but seriously, Fast & Furious is much worst. The villains in the Craig Bond movies are really good, played by great actors.

Villains in FF are taken straight out of Miami Vice

Reactions: ArtPeur

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Funny you haven't watched Better Call Saul yet. It's pretty much Breaking Bad, but without Walt & Jesse, replaced by other interesting characters, especially Chuck, Howard & Kim.

I find these spin-offs/prequels seldom work for me, but you seem adamant, so I'm going to try it next. Season 1 of Ozark complete.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Upgrade for the reasons already mentioned. I was intrigued by the trailer also. To be honest, I am not expecting anything high brow or ground breaking, but I don’t need that from everything I see.

Watched Upgrade, I found it a lot darker than I thought it would be. It doesn't look like a big budget movie but manages to pull off enough technical details to propel you in this future world that ironically is not as upgraded as the main character. And those combat scenes are awkwardly fascinating. Without giving away too much, some parts reminded me of Ex Machina, which a lot of us here liked, as I recall.

Thanks again Bryson, for the recommendation.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This is probably old news but Daniel Craig will be reprising his role as James Bond for the 5th time and 25th film in the iconic franchise. This after having reportedly said that he would rather slash his own wrists than play Bond again.

The actor will be earning an eye-watering £50million quid for his role in the next James Bond film. Daniel is worth every penny given that Spectre made over £700million and Skyfall over £900million before they sold DVD, streaming and TV rights.

The movie was scheduled to be released in October of 2019 but with director Danny Boyle calling it quits over "creative differences" just two days ago, I can only imagine that will have an impact on the production of the film. One year is really not a lot of time to make a film of this magnitude.

I'm so bored of Craig at this point. I wished they would have taken the opportunity to cast a Bond for the new generation. There must be some Downtown Abby actors that would be fit the role somehow.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watched Upgrade, I found it a lot darker than I thought it would be. It doesn't look like a big budget movie but manages to pull off enough technical details to propel you in this future world that ironically is not as upgraded as the main character. And those combat scenes are awkwardly fascinating. Without giving away too much, some parts reminded me of Ex Machina, which a lot of us here liked, as I recall.

Thanks again Bryson, for the recommendation.

Oh, I definitely knew it would be dark and a much more modest budget. I joke with my wife whenever a warning comes on for TV reminding viewers the following may be intense and disturbing, I always first pump and shout yes.

Within the context of fiction (I’m not a sicko), the more violent and messed up, I love it.

As for Ex Machina, thanks for reminding me. I’ve always wanted to see it but never got around to it and forgotten about it until I saw your post.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
David Harbour as Hellboy... that's a great choice

Yeh, physically, excellent choice. I like Harbour as an actor as well, but it’s gonna be tough topping Perlman in the role. Still, I have high hopes.

Another superhero flick? Another remake? Can't wait! ;)

I have a friend much like you (and sorry if I am mixing you up with another poster(s)... I know some here dislike superheroes) where he refuses to watch superhero movies except for the occasional X-Men flick.

I get why people dislike them but to me, provided it’s well done, that is fine. Many superhero movies cross genres. From what I hear, Hellboy reboot is supposed to be darker in tone. It hasn’t come out yet, but New Mutants is supposed to be a horror movie. The Punisher show on Netflicks has zero super powers.

Yeah, I get MCU and DCEU movies can be messy spectacles, but both have had gems. Ok, DC had one in WW, but for MCU, the last two Captain America’s were great, as was the last Thor.

Hellboy took the 13th spot on this list: 50 Greatest Movie Superheroes – Rolling Stone

While I am looking forward to the reboot and Harbour’s take on the hero, I am sad they couldn’t make a final Hellboy with Perlman and crew to wrap up that story. Apparently Del Toro had it all planned out for 3 movies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeh, physically, excellent choice. I like Harbour as an actor as well, but it’s gonna be tough topping Perlman in the role. Still, I have high hopes.

I have a friend much like you (and sorry if I am mixing you up with another poster(s)... I know some here dislike superheroes) where he refuses to watch superhero movies except for the occasional X-Men flick.

I get why people dislike them but to me, provided it’s well done, that is fine. Many superhero movies cross genres. From what I hear, Hellboy reboot is supposed to be darker in tone. It hasn’t come out yet, but New Mutants is supposed to be a horror movie. The Punisher show on Netflicks has zero super powers.

Yeah, I get MCU and DCEU movies can be messy spectacles, but both have had gems. Ok, DC had one in WW, but for MCU, the last two Captain America’s were great, as was the last Thor.

While I am looking forward to the reboot and Harbour’s take on the hero, I am sad they couldn’t make a final Hellboy with Perlman and crew to wrap up that story. Apparently Del Toro had it all planned out for 3 movies.

I hadn't thought about which actor would be best to replace Perlman, but when I read it was Harbour, I was like "hell, that's probably the best choice ever to replace Perlman. He has the body type, the voice, the face and the acting. Although, admittedly, I'm not as big a fan of Perlman as some are. He was great in the late 80's/early 90's TV show adaptation of Beauty & the Beast and I liked most of his roles, it's just that Perlman is like Pacino is like Cage is like a lot of actors who act as themselves. Perlman acts as Perlman in most movies. Don't get me wrong, the Del Toro movies were great, but I'm expecting better.

Thing is, as good as the first Hellboys were, if you've read the comic, you know there's room to make them better, darker. And from what I've read, the plan is to go the DP route with a R rated movie with a bleak tone and dark humor. Granted Marshall doesn't have GdT's pedigree, but he's directed a lot of good episodes from shows that I love/d like Hannibal, Black Sails, GoT, Westworld and Lost in Space.

Hope it turns out well

Reactions: Bryson and Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'd be hard pressed to call it the same as Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul is much slower paced, to the point where I feel like nothing has actually happened throughout an entire season.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of either series, but BCS feels like a victory lap for Gilligan. I've stated this repeatedly in these threads over time. There's slow and then there's BCS. Most of the "still" moments serve absolutely no purpose, they do not add anything to character development or give the viewer any more insight. They're there only so that we could marvel at the awesomeness of the Gilligan island. Yawn. It's upsetting because Saul was by far the most interesting character of BB and Gilligan took too long to show us what he is and/or stands for in BCS.

I quit on the series early into its second season and am not planning on re-visiting it any time soon.

Reactions: groovejuice

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I agree. I'm not a big fan of either series, but BCS feels like a victory lap for Gilligan. I've stated this repeatedly in these threads over time. There's slow and then there's BCS. Most of the "still" moments serve absolutely no purpose, they do not add anything to character development or give the viewer any more insight. Yawn. It's upsetting because Saul was by far the most interesting character of BB and Gilligan took too long to show us what he is and/or stands for in BCS.

I quit on the series early into its second season and am not planning on re-visiting it any time soon.

It is very slow, but I got used to it. There's enough good content in it for me.

There are a lot of shows that are as slow as BCS, even slower, which I just can't follow, I fall asleep. BCS keeps me interested. Wanna see what Saul is gonna do next.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It is very slow, but I got used to it. There's enough good content in it for me.

There are a lot of shows that are as slow as BCS, even slower, which I just can't follow, I fall asleep. BCS keeps me interested. Wanna see what Saul is gonna do next.

To each his own.

To me, the only "good content" of the show is Bob Odenkirk. Amazing talent. Seehorn doesn't keep up with him, she's the weak link, at least from what I've seen over 12-13 episodes.

And, BCS does have "Five-O". Amazing really. If not for that episode I would have quit on the show much earlier. I kept expecting something as good to follow but it didn't.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh, I definitely knew it would be dark and a much more modest budget. I joke with my wife whenever a warning comes on for TV reminding viewers the following may be intense and disturbing, I always first pump and shout yes.

Within the context of fiction (I’m not a sicko), the more violent and messed up, I love it.

As for Ex Machina, thanks for reminding me. I’ve always wanted to see it but never got around to it and forgotten about it until I saw your post.

You're welcome. Please let us know how you like Ex Machina.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
To each his own.

To me, the only "good content" of the show is Bob Odenkirk. Amazing talent. Seehorn doesn't keep up with him, she's the weak link, at least from what I've seen over 12-13 episodes.

And, BCS does have "Five-O". Amazing really. If not for that episode I would have quit on the show much earlier. I kept expecting something as good to follow but it didn't.

You should definitely watch the other seasons. Seehorn is quite good in seasons 2-3-4 and McKeen is also quite a talent.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
If there's one reality TV show I hold an admiration for it's "Masterchef Australia". No, not really.

But the damn thing does span for more than 60 episodes over each one of its 10 seasons to date with each episode being nearly 90 minutes long. :laugh:

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad