OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
River is the best TV series I've ever seen and everyone should see it IMO. That's how good it is.

FYI, most, if not all, of the series I linked to above are available on Netflix.
After reading your posts about this series I decided to watch episode one last night and I am hooked, it is brilliant, I could not look away. I look forward to watching the other 5 episodes.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Watched the movie Unbroken (life of Louis Zamperini), starting the book now.

From olympic athlete to being stranded for several weeks on a raft in the Pacific to life as a p.o.w., quite the tale. The movie is dark but that was the story.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I found Infinity War to be pretty good. A lot of the characters got moments, which is no small feat.

I think the lazy dialogue and storylines are getting to me. It lacks so much creativity.
Kinda feels like the Habs of movies. They know it's a cash cow and it'll always remain popular, so who cares, they can half ass their jobs it doesn't matter.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think the lazy dialogue and storylines are getting to me. It lacks so much creativity.
Kinda feels like the Habs of movies. They know it's a cash cow and it'll always remain popular, so who cares, they can half ass their jobs it doesn't matter.

Actually, I feel the opposite, at least in regards to IW. This movie if anything is the opposite of lazy and half ass. I felt that for Antman and the Wasp for example, but I commend the Russo Brothers for taking on IW, introducing basically a new character (I know he’s been in the background since 2012) and making the audience emphasize with him. Also, to weave multiple characters and backgrounds, most of which they’ve had no hand in development, and make a fairly cohesive movie I thought was well done.

We have to remember phase 1 and 2 were originally Joss Whedon’s vision, so the Russo’s were somewhat bound by that.

I do agree about creativity for the MCU as a whole. However, they got some gems where directors had a lot of creative freedom where they didn’t have to focus on building to IW; CA 2 and 3, Ragnarok and GOTG were great.

I think once Avengers 4 comes out and we’re done with the stones, the MCU will have more creative freedoms.

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Season five of "Parts Unknown" isn't great IMO. It has no standouts, but it does feature a series of solid, if not overly memorable, episodes. The Korea episode would've been certainly my favorite had they not butchered its editing. To this day I do not understand what the appeal was of running the episode backwards was. Ruined its flow to me and didn't bring any more of intended intensity.

So, for my favorites I'd name Budapest and New Jersey.

The ones I liked the least were Miami and Scotland.

P.S. I do have to add that the ending sequence of the Hawaii episode was breath-taking.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Uncle Ross. Pretty sure that guy actually helped me up on my first wave, just an amazing dude, if thats him.

This just made me realize how much I loved my experience there, I need to move there, like now, 12:30 am in MTL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ill say this to anyone who likes Parts Unknown or the Layover you might want to give Somebody feed phil a go, I loved it. Phil Rosenthal is annoying at times but he seems like a damn good guy.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The quebec episode though.... huh.... McMillan and Fred Morin... huh.... Foie Gras... Caviar... Truffle... ffs. Thats a terrible episode and Im going to bes grumpuly because of it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watched River once again overnight.

I guess what eluded me before was how chopped up and broken up the scenes are. Even knowing each and every upcoming sequence I realize that it is impossible to get a sense of a progression unless you're intricately familiar with the plot going forward.

It's incredible how early it drops its hints as to where it'll take you. To be honest I never heard those background snippets up until now. Yet they're there, only 20-30 minutes into it. Did anyone else hear those?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Watched River once again overnight.

I guess what eluded me before was how chopped up and broken up the scenes are. Even knowing each and every upcoming sequence I realize that it is impossible to get a sense of a progression unless you're intricately familiar with the plot going forward.

It's incredible how early it drops its hints as to where it'll take you. To be honest I never heard those background snippets up until now. Yet they're there, only 20-30 minutes into it. Did anyone else hear those?
I have missed it as well, I finished episode 4 last night(I can't binge watch anything, not enough attention span) and I am loving the performance by Skarsgård, a great actor, such a compelling story line and a character that does not fit the prototypical detective stereotype. I also loved mindhunter as well so I guess these types of crime dramas are appealing to me, an inner look at the struggles of law enforcement types and their flaws.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have missed it as well, I finished episode 4 last night(I can't binge watch anything, not enough attention span) and I am loving the performance by Skarsgård, a great actor, such a compelling story line and a character that does not fit the prototypical detective stereotype.

Care to try and explain the role of Thomas Neill Cream in the show as you understand it? This is by far the most complex "character" here and his presence is highly debated.

P.S. This is not an investigative series. This is a love story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Care to try and explain the role of Thomas Neill Cream in the show as you understand it? This is by far the most complex "character" here and his presence is highly debated.

P.S. This is not an investigative series. This is a love story.
Such a great post by you, I often get lost in stories like this one and you are so right.
I am by no means a skilled critic of movie or tv but here goes.
Stevie represents hope for river, the love he felt he never deserved, she completed him, she was his wings if you will, she was everything he wanted, she finished his sentences, she knew his thoughts, she completed him and gave him the validation as a human being that he felt he deserved but because of his condition felt he could never convey to another human being. ( Love. I've been trying to remember what that feels like - to be in love. It's been a while. For whatever reason, it has passed me by. The closet I got felt like food poisoning.) A man trying to break free, imprisoned by his condition and wanting to be free and in a way it contributes to his brilliance.

Thomas Cream for me at least represents the inner voice of river, the self defeating voice, the devil on his shoulder if you will, the somewhat comforting voice that tries to hold River back from breaking free of the prison that holds him and I think that ironically a somewhat comforting voice, a plea of his inner self trying to help him resist change.

This is a love story( I like how you wrote that). It is unique to see and feel such emotion for me at least in a format such as a police story and I honestly think that there is a part of River that we can all relate to, such a great tv series, I have 2 more episodes to go. This is what I see in my own words.

Thomas Cream---"You are a good liar, Inspector. I shouldn't be surprised, as your entire profession is formalized curiosity. Poking and prying into other's deception has prepared you well for your own. "10,000 pounds," That's some "Chinese." But beware, Inspector. Your greatest deception is to the self."

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Such a great post by you, I often get lost in stories like this one and you are so right.
I am by no means a skilled critic of movie or tv but here goes.
Stevie represents hope for river, the love he felt he never deserved, she completed him, she was his wings if you will, she was everything he wanted, she finished his sentences, she knew his thoughts, she completed him and gave him the validation as a human being that he felt he deserved but because of his condition felt he could never convey to another human being. ( Love. I've been trying to remember what that feels like - to be in love. It's been a while. For whatever reason, it has passed me by. The closet I got felt like food poisoning.) A man trying to break free, imprisoned by his condition and wanting to be free and in a way it contributes to his brilliance.

Thomas Cream for me at least represents the inner voice of river, the self defeating voice, the devil on his shoulder if you will, the somewhat comforting voice that tries to hold River back from breaking free of the prison that holds him and I think that ironically a somewhat comforting voice, a plea of his inner self trying to help him resist change.

This is a love story( I like how you wrote that). It is unique to see and feel such emotion for me at least in a format such as a police story and I honestly think that there is a part of River that we can all relate to, such a great tv series, I have 2 more episodes to go. This is what I see in my own words.

Thomas Cream---"You are a good liar, Inspector. I shouldn't be surprised, as your entire profession is formalized curiosity. Poking and prying into other's deception has prepared you well for your own. "10,000 pounds," That's some "Chinese." But beware, Inspector. Your greatest deception is to the self."

This is pretty good take, thanks for sharing!

On Cream's significance... I first thought he was a compass of River's sanity and, just like you, I saw him representing River's ever evolving mental state. Turns out, we, the hard-code fans of the show overthought the whole thing. I won't link to the article but you can Google for director's take if you like. It's not difficult to find.

Notice how the River/Stevie dynamic is drastically different from any other scenes in the movie. Whereas River is constantly bogged down by "every-day", his interactions and surroundings; it all goes away when he's talking to Stevie. She is the only one who can talk to him playfully, unafraid of passing judgement, but she does so in an almost charming way. "Dance, you nutter!" is probably the most powerful piece of dialogue, at least to me in that regard.

Another character that is much important IMO is Ira King. He's serving as a tether to River's madness. I'm not sure the show would've worked without this person. His remarks are often out of place, and are meant to provide slight comic relief. I find it works amazingly well.

Enjoy the ending, it's a thing all of its own. As great as the series already is what they do to untangle the murder mystery is almost cruel. The ending overtakes the entire story for a while, at least when watching for the first time. I can almost say I dislike it because of how well of a job it does taking away from the rest of the show and dimming the River/Stevie storyline. It flips the series on its head in one swift motion and reminds you that there's a murder here to be solved. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything else from a show of this caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad