OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
All part of the intrigue. I'm assuming we'll be getting more clues in ensuing episodes, which will keep us watching. An age-old TV trick that still works.

Another golden rule in television is that someone is not dead until you see him/her actually dying. Though I expect in this case that we haven't seen the death yet only because of the show's structure, and we might see it next episode.

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Another golden rule in television is that someone is not dead until you see him/her actually dying. Though I expect in this case that we haven't seen the death yet only because of the show's structure, and we might see it next episode.

jon_snow_dead-1024x683.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: ArtPeur and Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Well, in TWD, Glen apparently died in a sea of zombies, but unshockingly came back like 3 episodes later.His second "death" was a lot more permanent... that was made clear.

In Fear TWD, a major character was killed off at the mid-season finale, but since you didn't see the death itself, I'm not convinced that will stick either.
Well fantasy and science-fiction shows ave their own set of rules. :popcorn:

There was an old John Woo movie, A Better Tomorrow, where one of the main characters had basically his whole forehead blown off and died. When the second movie came out and he was on the poster, I was wondering howTF did he walk that one off? Well, it was that character's twin brother :rolleyes:

However, I would tend to agree that outside fantasy, sci-fi and just plain absurd movies/TV, generally if there is no body, there is no death.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

True that the viewer never gets to see the face for herself or himself. We are relying on the character who is viewing the body -- allegedly. Adds yet another layer of unknown.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Finished Season 2 of Casual. Thirteen episodes of 30 minutes, perfectly digestible. The pace is laid back but there are enough quirky situations to keep you watching. All of these people need to grow up -- but then again, if they did, there'd be no show.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I watched Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure last night and was disappointed as I remembered it to be a good movie (Keanu was still gorgeous though). I want to watch Trainspotting with my son as I remember it as a great movie but a little bit nervous. I got son to watch Pulp Fiction which is still great, love the bit when Uma is Od’ing. Should I proceed with Trainspotting? I think I should

Holy crap man, what age is he?

Trainspotting's a bit too hardcore for a kid.

Want him to ponder long and hard about hard drugs, making him watch The Basketball Diaries.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
River is the best TV series I've ever seen and everyone should see it IMO. That's how good it is.

FYI, most, if not all, of the series I linked to above are available on Netflix.

It's an absolutely brilliant series. Stellan Skarsgård delivers a riveting performance - one of the finest I've ever seen.
Challenge accepted. Work's getting slow, so I foresee a binge-watch in my immediate future.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can someone please recommend me a good crime movie of the last few years?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Not sure what you’ve watched but I’ll throw some out I liked in no particular order:

Gone Girl
Drive
Baby Driver
The Town (one of my favorites)
End of Watch
Nightcrawler
Sicario
Wolf of Wall Street

Reactions: GoodKiwi

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Finished "The Night Of" with a friend and thanks to those who recommended this show. I haven't been this tensed up in a long time watching a TV series.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Got the dog on my lap kind of hard to type lol.

I recently watched Hell or High Water and Windriver and really enjoyed both. Along with Sicario they make part of a trilogy known as the American Frontier Trilogy. Give those a go if you haven't watched those yet.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! There were a few movies I hadn't seen in there.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Holy crap man, what age is he?

Trainspotting's a bit too hardcore for a kid.

Want him to ponder long and hard about hard drugs, making him watch The Basketball Diaries.

Or you could just have him visit my place this or any other weekend when you need a babysitter.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Honestly I loved Intersellar and come to think of it there are very few "space" movies that I didn't enjoy...

Sunrise
Interstellar
Gravity
The Martian
Even Horizon
Apollo 13
Armageddon

If you liked the movie, you'll love the book.

Reactions: Bryson

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
A few off the beaten path options, for those who've already watched the more popular shows.
(in order of preference)

Line of Duty (UK, crime)
Trapped (Nordic, mystery)
Lilyhammer (Nordic, comedy)

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
My twin sons are the exact same age. It amazes me how they have no trouble with hardcore subject matter but can't handle putting a dish in the dishwasher.

My son seems to have no idea where the bin or the laundry room is. He puts his dishes on the island rather than above the dishwasher and leaves his laundry basket on the stairs ‘to make sure i see it’ despite having me telling him to bring the laundry up so I know it will be there. I’m a bad mother as I doubt he even knows how the washer and dryer work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad