OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
i dont think should win it either, but we all know he will.

finished Moon and Snowpiercer.

moon is good, but i don't know, it leaves me wanting more or feeling like something is missing...

Snowpiercer? holy ****. awesome. if only to see tilda swinton, who is unrecognizably great

I feel that the recent sci-fi movies like Moon, Snowpiercer and Ex Machida are massively overrated. I just don't even get what's actually great about them and it's my favorite kind of movie. Even Gravity and The Martian both got excellent reviews were absolutely horrendous imo. BTW, I'm not even a harsh critic, I just like to sit down and watch movies and I'm very easy to please. Maybe those movies take themselves too seriously for their own good, I dunno.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
19-2 is great TV. I was reticent to try it at first because of the amount of "matantes shows" in Québec TV nowadays, but once I jumped in, I got hooked. I think I watched the first season in the same night.

Another Franco suggestion, Série Noire. It's not a major smash ratings wise, but it's a really original series with lots of weird/funny stuff happening. It's a special setting too, because very few Québec series are filmed during the Winter and they use it the weather so well in Série Noire. Barely anyone watches it live, most of the views come from PVRs or VOD. I have yet to watch season 2 (which is currently airing or Radio-Canada), but from the bribes I caught in ads, it looks as great as S1.

Thanks I will check out Serie Noire.

I enjoyed the first two seasons. I stopped in the middle of season 3.

IMO the season 3 is not on the same level as the two others. Never tried the fourth.

Thanks for heads up Knackys. I know The Killing got cancelled after the 3rd season before being picked up again by netflix for a 4th and final season which would explain a lot. I like Billy Campbell. I thought he was awesome in The Rocketeer almost 25 years ago. Not sure why he seems to mostly have done TV stuff since then. He's a good looking charismatic dude. He even dated Jennifer Connelly for a long time.

I liked Joel Kinnaman as the tweeker cop however I hated him RoboCop. One of the few movies I was actually not able to finish.

I found Godzilla 2014 to be an average movie.

Having watched it, I concur with this statement. I'd put it on par with Pacific Rim and Bryan Cranston's over-acting was not needed for this movie.

Indeed.

I watched Steve Jobs tonight. Good movie, but then again I always like stuff written by Aaron Sorkin. The acting by Fassbender, Kate Winslet, Jeff Daniels and Michale Stuhlbarg (Hertzfeld) is very good. I'm kind of getting to the point where I'll be pissed if Leo wins the oscar for best actor. I think both Fassbender's and Cranston's performances were better to be honest.

Damn that was Kate Winslet? I didn't even notice it was her. I must be losing my touch. What did Fassbender do that was so special? I hated Steve Jobs. I found the movie difficult to watch. I found Steve Jobs to be a grade A a-hole. Perhaps that's the point.

The biggest stiff job is the lack of nominations for Jake Gyllenhaal and Southpaw. Does Hollywood have a short term memory or what? What did Matt Damon do that was so great other than be Matt Damon? They even used the fakest body double I ever saw in my life because they couldn't get fatso to slim down.

As for the "Black Controversy" either one of the movies or actors from Concussion, Beast of No Nation or Straight out of Compton could have been nominated. I could understand why the black community are up in arms even if I didn't care much for Will Smith's performance.

A little surprised to see Deadpool getting very positive reviews. I like the character a lot but the trailers made it seem as if the jokes were forced and I was sure it would be a huge failure of a movie. I'm a little sick of superhero movies but I don't think this is your standard fare.

Glad Deadpool is doing well. Ryan Reynolds has not had much luck at the box office lately, and by lately I mean ever. Here's a roadmap for all you Marvel Superhero fanatics. All two of you. :sarcasm:

Superhero Movie Chart Shows Film Line-Up For The Next 4 Years

superhero-movie-chart-shows-film-line-up-for-the-next-4-years

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I feel that the recent sci-fi movies like Moon, Snowpiercer and Ex Machida are massively overrated. I just don't even get what's actually great about them and it's my favorite kind of movie. Even Gravity and The Martian both got excellent reviews were absolutely horrendous imo. BTW, I'm not even a harsh critic, I just like to sit down and watch movies and I'm very easy to please. Maybe those movies take themselves too seriously for their own good, I dunno.

You didn't like Moon, Snowpiercer, Ex Machina, Gravity or The Martian and yet you're easy to please? Ok Then...

I loved The Martian btw. Thought it was great.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks I will check out Serie Noire.

Thanks for heads up Knackys. I know The Killing got cancelled after the 3rd season before being picked up again by netflix for a 4th and final season which would explain a lot. I like Billy Campbell. I thought he was awesome in The Rocketeer almost 25 years ago. Not sure why he seems to mostly have done TV stuff since then. He's a good looking charismatic dude. He even dated Jennifer Connelly for a long time.

I liked Joel Kinnaman as the tweeker cop however I hated him RoboCop. One of the few movies I was actually not able to finish.

Having watched it, I concur with this statement. I'd put it on par with Pacific Rim and Bryan Cranston's over-acting was not needed for this movie.

Damn that was Kate Winslet? I didn't even notice it was her. I must be losing my touch. What did Fassbender do that was so special? I hated Steve Jobs. I found the movie difficult to watch. I found Steve Jobs to be a grade A a-hole. Perhaps that's the point.

The biggest stiff job is the lack of nominations for Jake Gyllenhaal and Southpaw. Does Hollywood have a short term memory or what? What did Matt Damon do that was so great other than be Matt Damon? They even used the fakest body double I ever saw in my life because they couldn't get fatso to slim down.

As for the "Black Controversy" either one of the movies or actors from Concussion, Beast of No Nation or Straight out of Compton could have been nominated. I could understand why the black community are up in arms even if I didn't care much for Will Smith's performance.

Glad Deadpool is doing well. Ryan Reynolds has not had much luck at the box office lately, and by lately I mean ever. Here's a roadmap for all you Marvel Superhero fanatics. All two of you. :sarcasm:

Superhero Movie Chart Shows Film Line-Up For The Next 4 Years

superhero-movie-chart-shows-film-line-up-for-the-next-4-years

Ryan Reynolds is an awful actor. He's in the same category as Nicholas Cage and John Travolta.

All those Marvel's movies will.make some of my friends very happy.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Ryan Reynolds is an awful actor. He's in the same category as Nicholas Cage and John Travolta.

It's tough. I think Ryan Reynolds has just made some really bad movies. He was good in some of his earlier stuff like Van Wilder, Smokin Aces and Blade Trinity. He's typically better suited for a supporting role rather than a leading role however I found him completely engaging in Buried. If you haven't seen it, it may change your mind.

Travolta is a stud and he's always had great on screen presence. Cage I agree is a hack.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Saw Steve Jobs tonight. Absolutely loved it. And yes he was a true grade A *****. We knew that. Twisted relationships he had. But a genius nonetheless. Not a lot of them out there right now.

Last edited:

matt77

Feb 27, 2013

I don't know, maybe not the best examples. Nicolas Cage won an Oscar and John Travolta was nominated for 2 Oscars in his career. Maybe their career is going down, but these guys are good actors. Cage was very good in Joe (2013), Bad Lieutenant (2009), Lord Of War (2005), etc. He also got some classic in the 90s (Leaving Las Vegas, The Rock, Raising Arizona, etc.). But I understand that he is polarizing.

And I saw 'The Voices' with Ryan Reynolds, he was very funny in this movie. He's a good actor, the problem is that he usually plays in bad movies.

Deadpool was a step in the right direction for him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

All five of those movies, as well as Europa Report and Interstellar, make for good-to-excellent cinematic scifi.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I expect a serious collapse of the superhero movie somewhere in the early 20s.

I mean, people will get tired at some point, right? Right?

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014

If you watch the season 4, please come back here to give your opinion on it. I may watch the season 4 if you recommend it. And i also like Billy Campbell, maybe that's why i didn't like the season 3 haha.

Never saw the "new" robocop and i don't intend to watch it.

I just think that he doesn't choose his roles well enough.. Personally I enjoyed him a lot in the movie Buried.

July 2018 and April 2019 ... I don't know what those symbols represent.

Looked it up, Probably Ant-Man 2 and Shazaam.

April 2019 is The Flash i think (well it look like The Flash logo). I don't know for the other.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

1) The analogy is often made to westerns, which dominated Hollywood for many decades, and were produced at a far higher rate than 6/year.

A better analogy imo might be the Disney Princess brand, which has dominated the culture of white girls in the United States for several decades now. The reason Disney bought Marvel and Star Wars is that they want to dominate the lives of little boys as they have with little girls. It might be the best 2x4 = 8 billion dollars any company has ever spent.

2) Comic book movie fans often respond that as long as movies are made that are totally different from one another there is less risk of fatigue. For example, the claim is made that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a political thriller and not a comic book movie, or that Guardians of the Galaxy is a space opera and not a comic book movie.

In terms of market saturation, there will also be competition from other franchises like Transformers, Star Wars, Avatar, etc. I'm not sure how many 300 million dollar scifi/fantasy blockbusters can be released in a year. Relative to a few years ago, we're now going to get an extra 1.0 star wars movies per year, and extra 0.5 transformers movie per year (from once every 2 years to once a year), an extra avatar movie a year, and so on. It's a lot.

3) Mass audiences are capable of watching 17 different seasons of The Bachelor and Survivor without getting tired of them.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Just re-watched the Grand Budapest Hotel. What a beautiful and charming film. One of my all time favorites.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Just re-watched the Grand Budapest Hotel. What a beautiful and charming film. One of my all time favorites.
The only bad thing about this movie is that it is so good it takes forever for another movie of the same style and quality to come around.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014

Looks like Ryan Reynolds is caught in the role of the handsome guy who plays in romantic comedies, like Matthew McConaughey was there a few years ago.

IMO, if he start to better choose his roles we might be able to see the extent of his talent, if any.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Haha one can hope, but no. Disney/marvel got the recipe down to an art, suckers will keep buying tickets to see those abortions

I mentally checked out the superhero business at iron man 1.

And the new robocop is a joke, if you haven't seen it, do yourself the favor and just re watch the original

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Is there any better dystopian science fiction television than the GOP debates?
Absolutely insane. It's hard to find words to describe that whole process from the candidates, the debates to the media covering that circus.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Well I strongly disagree with that. Travolta I've always liked especially in Pulp Fiction. Cage, though wildly inconsistent, can be incredible when he's given a psychopath type role. I look at movies like FaceOff, Raising Arizona, Lord of War and Bad Lieutenant and I just cannot say he's a bad actor even with travesties like WickerMan. Reynolds has show signs of greatness in movies like Buried and he's got amazing comedic delivery.

Either way, I haven't heard of anyone who disliked Deadpool so I'm extremely excited to see it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad