OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I just finished watching 'War & Peace' and 'Wolf Hall' both above average to good, if you like historical drama.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's hard to continue watching a show when you want hate every single character. I want them to all die. The show itself is not believable. I am supposed to believe a "normal" High School Chemistry teacher becomes a psychopath and the next Scarface/Al Capone/Pablo Escobar overnight.

I gave up on 'Breaking Bad' midway through Season Two for the same reason. I disliked every single character and had no emotional investment in what happened to them. I found everyone so unlikeable that it gave the show no sense of drama and no stakes because I literally couldn't care less what happened to them.

It also didn't help, at all, that a huge part of what intrigued me about the show - the lead character is dying so he makes this radical choice to secure his family's future - is essentially a cheat. I was curious how they were into multiple seasons and the character hadn't died. When I learned that his fatal prognosis was essentially ret-conned, I lost a ton of interest in the basic premise too.

Eventually, I realized that I found watching each episode a chore. I had so many people insisting I was going to love the show and to "give it a chance" but ultimately I found that I got no enjoyment out of watching the show at all and finally stopped watching.

I get that people love it. Good for them, I'm glad they found something they enjoy so much, but I found it to be a dreary, joyless exercise in bleakness. Not for me.

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
This is why I come here. Der aer sum smrt peeple in dis place like Habsawce.

The Killing = I'm hooked hooked hooked.

Will watch Godzilla tonight. If it sucks I am coming after you!

Well Juves likes shows like Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones and True Blood. I guess Dragons and Vampires are more believable than a chemistry teacher being a genius and is where she draws the line. Given our school system I don't blame her. :sarcasm:

Just kidding. <3 Juve

EarnestCandidBeagle.gif

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Was looking to buy Lance et Compte DVDs, the original series. There's some on Ebay but it's weird to me that a series that was so important in Quebec is not easily available at places like Best Buy and Archambeault. The first three seasons should always be available everywhere. The people who are owners of the series are pretty slacking.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Was looking to buy Lance et Compte DVDs, the original series. There's some on Ebay but it's weird to me that a series that was so important in Quebec is not easily available at places like Best Buy and Archambeault. The first three seasons should always be available everywhere. The people who are owners of the series are pretty slacking.

I think there's legal issues with the distribution rights.

I don't think the L&C straight-to-tv movies were ever released on DVD or VHS, ever.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I've been binge watching stuff from a Japanese comedy show called Gaki No Tsukai Ya Arahende. There's people online subtitling them in English.

Now I want to visit Japan. Those people are nuts.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
The Deer Hunter is playing on the Movie Network Encore. Such a good movie.

Indeed.

I watched Steve Jobs tonight. Good movie, but then again I always like stuff written by Aaron Sorkin. The acting by Fassbender, Kate Winslet, Jeff Daniels and Michale Stuhlbarg (Hertzfeld) is very good. I'm kind of getting to the point where I'll be pissed if Leo wins the oscar for best actor. I think both Fassbender's and Cranston's performances were better to be honest.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
A little surprised to see Deadpool getting very positive reviews. I like the character a lot but the trailers made it seem as if the jokes were forced and I was sure it would be a huge failure of a movie. I'm a little sick of superhero movies but I don't think this is your standard fare.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Indeed.

I watched Steve Jobs tonight. Good movie, but then again I always like stuff written by Aaron Sorkin. The acting by Fassbender, Kate Winslet, Jeff Daniels and Michale Stuhlbarg (Hertzfeld) is very good. I'm kind of getting to the point where I'll be pissed if Leo wins the oscar for best actor. I think both Fassbender's and Cranston's performances were better to be honest.

i dont think should win it either, but we all know he will.

finished Moon and Snowpiercer.

moon is good, but i don't know, it leaves me wanting more or feeling like something is missing...

Snowpiercer? holy ****. awesome. if only to see tilda swinton, who is unrecognizably great

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
i dont think should win it either, but we all know he will.

finished Moon and Snowpiercer.

moon is good, but i don't know, it leaves me wanting more or feeling like something is missing...

Snowpiercer? holy ****. awesome. if only to see tilda swinton, who is unrecognizably great

Moon's second act was a bit weaker which is probably why you felt that way. I enjoyed it more the second time though. Great performance by Sam Rockwell too who I think may be one of the most underrated actors out there.

matt77

Feb 27, 2013
A little surprised to see Deadpool getting very positive reviews. I like the character a lot but the trailers made it seem as if the jokes were forced and I was sure it would be a huge failure of a movie. I'm a little sick of superhero movies but I don't think this is your standard fare.

I'm just coming back from Deadpool and I thought it was very entertaining. If you're tired of superhero movies I think you will like this one, it doesn't take itself seriously and they also make fun of superhero clichés.

Of course, not all the jokes are working, but it looked like everyone in the (fully-packed) theater had a great time.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Well Juves likes shows like Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones and True Blood. I guess Dragons and Vampires are more believable than a chemistry teacher being a genius and is where she draws the line. Given our school system I don't blame her. :sarcasm:

Just kidding. <3 Juve

I could not stop laughing when I read this.

I gave up on 'Breaking Bad' midway through Season Two for the same reason. I disliked every single character and had no emotional investment in what happened to them. I found everyone so unlikeable that it gave the show no sense of drama and no stakes because I literally couldn't care less what happened to them.

It also didn't help, at all, that a huge part of what intrigued me about the show - the lead character is dying so he makes this radical choice to secure his family's future - is essentially a cheat. I was curious how they were into multiple seasons and the character hadn't died. When I learned that his fatal prognosis was essentially ret-conned, I lost a ton of interest in the basic premise too.

Eventually, I realized that I found watching each episode a chore. I had so many people insisting I was going to love the show and to "give it a chance" but ultimately I found that I got no enjoyment out of watching the show at all and finally stopped watching.

I get that people love it. Good for them, I'm glad they found something they enjoy so much, but I found it to be a dreary, joyless exercise in bleakness. Not for me.

I feel the exact same way. I also thought the show was the cure for insomnia.

I am halfway done the first season of S.H.I.E.L.D. Unfortunately it's not doing anything for me. It's a "meh" tv show.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I can accept Spotlight winning the best picture. Having now seen all eight nominees I think it pulls away from the rest along with The Revenant. It's hard-hitting, and I have never looked at that aspect of a movie alone to be deserving of consideration. I'm still not sure if it is if you want to view a production as artistic expression. I guess it's up to personal interpretation. By no means do I want to diminish the difficult subject matter and the horrific realization of it all. Had it dug deeper and showed more layers to it all, I would probably be more sold right now. But it did not. Perhaps it was done so that historic accuracy remained, I'm not sure, but the film would surely benefit from it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad