OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
(Continue here...)

I caught the trailer of a new fox tv series called Lucifer and thought it was 3 minutes of awesome so decided to check out the pilot and was not disappointed. I absolutely loved how campy and cheesy it was. More puns please! I'm definitely going to keep watching.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I binge-watched Season two of "The Fall" last night. Pretty good if you're into UK TV series, the Brits sure know how to build atmospheric and dark experiences. The series is available on Netflix.

vesperal

Mar 8, 2006
I caught the trailer of a new fox tv series called Lucifer and thought it was 3 minutes of awesome so decided to check out the pilot and was not disappointed. I absolutely loved how campy and cheesy it was. More puns please! I'm definitely going to keep watching.

ya, I liked the campy feel too. Don't know if it can sustain a whole season but I'll give it a try.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Gotta say... American Horror Story just isn't doing it for me this season.

This season is the best since the second season, the first season being the best. Having said that this season is terrible, which means the other seasons were brutal. Thing about this season i dont like is vampires. Im done with vampires. Played out.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
IMDB gives a 6.8 to a pure ****fest xenophobic movie like No Escape.

IMDB ratings are so useless. :laugh:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This season is the best since the second season, the first season being the best. Having said that this season is terrible, which means the other seasons were brutal. Thing about this season i dont like is vampires. Im done with vampires. Played out.

Well they're not classic vampires, more like people that drink blood. Like David Bowie in the hunger. But that's the thing, that was cool in 1983, it's cliche right now.

The best part of this season is the ghost of the serial killer played by the Quicksilver guy. The guy that built the Hotel. Other than that...

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Well they're not classic vampires, more like people that drink blood. Like David Bowie in the hunger. But that's the thing, that was cool in 1983, it's cliche right now.

The best part of this season is the ghost of the serial killer played by the Quicksilver guy. The guy that built the Hotel. Other than that...

One thing that haunts my dreams about this season is this guy:

_1442519126.jpg

If you don't watch the show well... I'll try to say it without getting any expletives deleted.

This guy F's you in the butt with a metal spiraled spike *****. This is his metal spiked spiral *****.

ryan-murphy-the-man-with-the-midas-touch-or-marauder-of-morality-american-horror-story-652831.jpg

And he is not gentle.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
(Continue here...)

Just watched the trailer. I will be watching for sure. Now I need to watch the pilot!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Watched Bowling for Columbine. It's a solid documentary that makes a correct analysis: America has a violence problem because it's intrinsic to its culture. I've lived in the USA and the media is all about violence.

Also watched Brave Miss World, about a rape survivor who won the miss world beauty pageant. Very difficult movie to watch, very emotionally difficult. I found myself pacing around in anger. The documentary makes a good argument for retributive justice.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I don't watch American Horror Story but I came across a timeline that fans of the show might find interesting.

http://www.tv.com/shows/american-ho...tory-connected-seasons-timeline-144726925007/

I just empathize with a woman who's never given the same leeway as Noah is in the show. If you remember that episode where she is involved in a DUI. That highlights how important it is for her not to mess things up; it's a bit tragic really.

I do see someone in her who was born with a silver spoon in mouth, but that just the first layer of her character in my opinion, because there are severe parental issues there that formed her personality. Her mother who never gave a flying kite about her, the woman that did everything possible to sabotage her marriage with Noah and was glad when it happened. And her father Bruce, a true world class *******, who is controlling, bitter and toxic to anyone he comes in contact with.

I disagree that money makes everything easy, that's just a simplistic way of looking at things IMO.

The hatchet portion was me referring to her agreeing to end mediation/court so that Noah could have co-custody of their children. That was not an easy decision to make, especially after she was hurt as much as she was by him. She might've said she "settled" on Noah, but it's clear she loved him very much and maybe still does. I don't see how a weak person can make this decision. I feel like what drove her to it was their children and their well-being. Noah isn't the most caring father and his kids are not always his focus, but they are always Helen's. Throwing her mother out was also not something a weak-minded individual would do.

Again, I can see where you get the opinion of Helen being spoiled - it's there and it's one of her sides. I can also see how you find her weak - she's been never supported by or believed in by her parents (beyond money). She's not perfect, no one is in The Affair. But I couldn't disagree with you more when you say that's she's one-dimensional.

As for me projecting my own beliefs - that's something The Affair challenges us to do. We're not always given everything on a silver platter - there are things we should fill in as the viewers. It's what makes dramas like these so entertaining to watch for me and others I'm sure. It is also why we can have these in-depth character analysis discussions.

Agreed, good chat, glad to have found someone else who is seemingly as invested in this show as I am.

I hadn't watch the last episode yet when I made my post. I thought that was a great episode for Helen and good overall compared to the last couple of eps. I felt Helen's character had been underdeveloped until now.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
(Continue here...)

That looks really good actually. I had my doubts when I saw FOX but the trailer was great and the people who saw the pilot loved it. Will definitely give it a shot

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Looking for a good TV series to watch this weekend. Yeah, I've seen a lot of them, I know, but always looking for a good sleeper. I don't like sitcoms or anything Marvel/superhero/sci-fi. Dramas (especially political ones), crime, history are my thing.

Thank you.

I hadn't watch the last episode yet when I made my post. I thought that was a great episode for Helen and good overall compared to the last couple of eps. I felt Helen's character had been underdeveloped until now.

My apologies if I unintentionally spoiled some plot for you.

tdecheno

Aug 18, 2006
Looking for a good TV series to watch this weekend. Yeah, I've seen a lot of them, I know, but always looking for a good sleeper. I don't like sitcoms or anything Marvel/superhero/sci-fi. Dramas (especially political ones), crime, history are my thing.

Thank you.

Quantico and Blindspot are pretty good for "non pay" channels.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Thank you.

Better Call Saul, Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, Vikings, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Rome, The Shield, The Wire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Narcos, Fargo and House of Cards come to mind. I know most of those are pretty mainstream but maybe there's one you haven't seen in there.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E. tonight and didn't like it. Hyper-stylized, but paper thin. I get that it's a Richie movie, but I still expected more substance. Was bored to tears mid-way through it.

Quantico and Blindspot are pretty good for "non pay" channels.

Thanks for your suggestions, but these are not really my type of shows.

Better Call Saul, Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, Vikings, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Rome, The Shield, The Wire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Narcos, Fargo and House of Cards come to mind. I know most of those are pretty mainstream but maybe there's one you haven't seen in there.

I haven't seen two from the list actually - Deadwood & Rome. Will give them a try and see which one I like better. Thanks.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I haven't seen two from the list actually - Deadwood & Rome. Will give them a try and see which one I like better. Thanks.

These two show are really good. Both series have been canceled too soon.

I also just started watching The Knick and i really enjoy it so far.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
These two show are really good. Both series have been canceled too soon.

I also just started watching The Knick and i really enjoy it so far.

Everything I saw from DangerDave's list is good, so I bet these two are as well.

I heard about The Knick but it slipped my mind over time. It looks intriguing.

P.S. My favorite TV show ever "Boss" was cancelled way too early (two seasons in) as well. As far as I'm concerned it's a masterpiece. It's available on Netflix if anyone is interested.

P.P.S. Same story for my second favorite TV series "Rubicon". Only one season. I think it was too intelligent for most to appreciate.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Man, Spectre wasn't a real let down. The plot felt cheap. Lame and generic plot devices. Also, the dialogue was bad and awkward at several instances. I couldn't help but cringe at various parts of the film.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E. tonight and didn't like it. Hyper-stylized, but paper thin. I get that it's a Richie movie, but I still expected more substance. Was bored to tears mid-way through it.

Thanks for your suggestions, but these are not really my type of shows.

Deadwood is much better in my opinion but Rome was certainly pretty good. Deadwood ended way too soon. It does fit your criteria perfectly though. Crime, Drama and History.

Forgot to mention Boardwalk Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad