OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I am finally getting around to reading the Game of Thrones books. Halfway through the first book and I have to say it is a lot better than the TV show but that should not really be a surprise to any avid readers.

Cannot wait to finish the finish book series and then watch the show again.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am finally getting around to reading the Game of Thrones books. Halfway through the first book and I have to say it is a lot better than the TV show but that should not really be a surprise to any avid readers.

Cannot wait to finish the finish book series and then watch the show again.

I just wish I read them before I watched the show... The first book was a pain in the butt to get through for me..

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I just wish I read them before I watched the show... The first book was a pain in the butt to get through for me..

HBO have been doing a pretty good job adapting the books for TV. I would have appreciated watching the first season before reading the first book.

Given how epic the scale of the A Song of Ice and Fire world is, it would have been a good primer (at least for me)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
HBO have been doing a pretty good job adapting the books for TV. I would have appreciated watching the first season before reading the first book.

Given how epic the scale of the A Song of Ice and Fire world is, it would have been a good primer (at least for me)

Yeah I agree. It's nice to have knowledge of the vision of landscape and I always like having a face to put to the characters while I read. I also like identifying differences and imagine how I would have wrote it into the show.

Maybe I'm weird though.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Yeah I agree. It's nice to have knowledge of the vision of landscape and I always like having a face to put to the characters while I read. I also like identifying differences and imagine how I would have wrote it into the show.

Maybe I'm weird though.

I agree. I started the books midway through season 4 and they really helped me in understanding the relationship between the different houses, and with so many storylines and characters to keep track of, the books acted as sort of a GoT for dummies. Now I'm anxious to seen how Season 5 will turn out.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anybody has some good stand ups recommendations? I watched Jim Carey's The Un-Natural Act yesterday and cracked up. I hadn't watched some stand up in so long, what's good out there outside that's recent?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You could argue that Prometheus doesn't provide any new material over what the history channel provided on the same topic.

Ridley Scott is 77 years old. This may just be an organic decline in his creative aptitude.

As bad as Exodus may be, directing that project at age 76 is impressive.

But again while flawed, Prometheus challenged me as a viewer to imagine this race of aliens that may be our Gods. It captured my imagination. I guess this was more a passion project while Exodus was what his bosses wanted out of him.

Would have been interesting for example to have Moses and this whole story being about a war of multiple Gods. You have a God that has chosen a people to be protected at all cost, they are his chosen ones but they are enslaved and beaten so he ruins the kingdom of the Leader that does this. But when it's all over, you see that Ramses is alone and does not have much of anything. And then you see his own God coming down. And then you learn that this God gave the Egyptians all the knowledge that they possessed and he gave them their abilities. So he appears and is pissed off that it's all destroyed and you could see a war of multiple Gods. You also learn that these Gods have a sort of vampiring nature wheras they choose a race or tribe of people and their worship gives these Gods their powers.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Anybody has some good stand ups recommendations? I watched Jim Carey's The Un-Natural Act yesterday and cracked up. I hadn't watched some stand up in so long, what's good out there outside that's recent?

George Carlin's, not recent, but his stuff never gets old. Simply the best imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad