OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
You should pay sometimes. The hours of entertainment are extracting a service.

I subscribe to premium channels and see new releases in theatre but if I wanna watch the Sopranos again I'll just grab it. Honestly see no problem with that.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Why not pirate? You can use torrent clients or direct dl for free with no malware.

Netflix is actually a very good service.

If production companies were more willing to offer their content in a convenient way, you'd have much less pirating.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Netflix is actually a very good service.

If production companies were more willing to offer their content in a convenient way, you'd have much less pirating.

Netflix is pure gold!

At first it seems like it has no content you're interested in, but once you're hooked - you're hooked. :)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
just finished watching Gone Girl. It was ok. 7/10

First half was great. Second half was too far-fetched and tedious. I really didn't enjoy the second half.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
South park is still just as good as it was when it first started, that shocks the hell out of me. 18 years and still going strong while the Simpsons and Family Guy died a long time ago.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I just watched L.A. Takedown for the first time tonight and it is really a fascinating experience. That movie was a practice, dummy run for Heat. You can see all the mistakes they didn't make in the "remake" 5 years later. But they had to make these mistakes in the first place. So "Heat" wouldn't be such a masterpiece without "L.A. Takedown".

And that leads me to think that a whole bunch of remakes would get better if the original director got to do it from time to time.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Watched snowpiercer, it was pretty dumb, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least find myself mildly entertained, it wasn't the worst movie I seen, but it was far from good.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Anyone watch the season premiere of American Horror Story? Freak show with some pretty odd characters. The double headed Sarah Paulson is especially well done.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
South park is still just as good as it was when it first started, that shocks the hell out of me. 18 years and still going strong while the Simpsons and Family Guy died a long time ago.

That reminds me to catch up on some episodes. South Park is definitely one of the greatest and funniest shows ever made.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
I've run out of movies I actually want to watch.

I said the same thing. I am very picky with my movies: I only watch realistic fiction, or non-fiction movies. I'm into period pieces, biographical films, and war resistance films. Since these movies are few and far between, I decided to do some research on them. I found out that IMDB has lists of several hundred movies for each genre (biopics, futuristic, etc.). Sorry for the autobiography above. The point I am trying to make is that you can find a bunch of movies online just by researching.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Saw the judge last night and it was pretty good. Story wasn't bad but I wanted more courtroom action.

6.7/10 I'd say. Worth a look if you like Robert Downey Jr. cause he's really good in it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Smetto quando voglio (2014)
Director: Sydney Sibilia
Rotten Tomatoes: 1 Fresh review, no score
IMDB: 7.1/10,

http://lorenzovalle.it/smetto-quando-voglio-the-italian-breaking-bad/
smetto-quando-voglio-the-cast.jpg

I caught this movie at an Italian Film Festival this week. It's quite entertaining, it's about an Italian scientist who can't move up in corrupt Italian academia, and due to money problems he starts developing drugs. He does this because designing molecules is the only thing he knows.

As far as Drama/Comedies go, this one was quite good and quite interesting. The jokes were actually funny (the ones I actually got), the characters and their idiosyncrasies rang true (I'm an academic), for example one of the academics only wants to design drugs if they're using the very best ingredients, and there was a lot of thought to it, in how lives changed but really didn't. Each of the main characters had depth, and the story covered a lot of plot in two hours.

I sincerely recommend it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I've watched a few of movies recently

1. The Man Who Wasn't There: 6/10
2. 12 Angry Men: 9/10
3. Full Metal Jacket: 8.5-9/10. The second half wasn't as good as the first half.
4. Dr. Strangelove: 8.5-9/10
5. Get Short: 7.5/10

Don't feel like writing an in depth review of each.

I love all these movies. The man... I find is very underrated. Hilarious at parts. Never understood why it doesn't have a better reputation. McDormand is just so good and so funny in that one.

12 Angry... I didn't watch right from the beginning but yeah old school acting tour de force.

The two Kubrick ones of course.

Get Shorty's fun.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
A Million Ways to Die in the West - the only thing I can say is it wasn't half as bad as the reviews would have you think.

Charlize Theron - she could be in Arizona in 1882 wearing a potato sack and still be hot.

Seth Mcfarlane reminds me of Judd Apatow, their lofty brilliance is often weighted down by their fascination with fart and masturbation humor.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
A bit late (as usual!), but...has anyone here seen Fading Gigolo? (John Turturo, Woody Allen, Sharon Stone...). It's on my movie list.

I love all these movies. ''The man who wasn't there''... I find is very underrated. Hilarious at parts. Never understood why it doesn't have a better reputation. McDormand is just so good and so funny in that one.
12 Angry... I didn't watch right from the beginning but yeah old school acting tour de force.
The two Kubrick ones of course.
Get Shorty's fun.

Yup...I haven't seen ''The Man...'' in a long time, but I remember it being quite stylish and original (in black and white, if I remember it correctly) and being underrated. Maybe a good 7 or 7 1/2 out of 10, imo, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

just finished watching Gone Girl. It was ok. 7/10
First half was great. Second half was too far-fetched and tedious. I really didn't enjoy the second half.

Gone girl: Terrific movie
Tempted to see it (but just a bit), but also tempted to wait!

Thanks man for the list. Midnight Run was pretty cool. I've seen it a while back. You mean Leon: The Professional right? That was a fantastic film.
Midnight Run...underrated action-comedy. Charles Grodin and De Niro are a funny duo!!

Saw the judge last night and it was pretty good. Story wasn't bad but I wanted more courtroom action.
6.7/10 I'd say. Worth a look if you like Robert Downey Jr. cause he's really good in it.
Huge Downey Jr fan...and for other Downey Jr fans out there...you have to see Downey Jr in ''Less Than Zero'' (great performance...very real). Not a ''sunshine'' movie, but quite interesting (James Spader is pretty good in it too as a pimp/drug dealer).

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
The Equalizer

7.3/10

Good action movie if you are able to turn your brain off.

Quite refreshing actually, violent action movie that doesn't take itself seriously. We have been plagued with so much G / PG 13 action flicks in the Hollywood scene recently that I forgot 16+ movies still existed.

Also for people who "ran out" of flicks to watch, get Blast of Silence 1961, you won't regret.

Hard Eight 1996 - early flick by Paul Thomas Anderson

The Long Goodbye 1973

Dersu Uzala 1975 - Russian funded akira Kurosawa flick

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Fincher's a polarizing director for me though. Some of his movies rank among my favorites (Fight Club, Se7en, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and some of them I thought were lousy (Panic Room, Benjamin Button, Gone Girl). I still haven't seen a movie from him that I thought was just OK.

I think he made one great flick and it's Se7en. And I enjoyed the Game.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I caught this movie at an Italian Film Festival this week. It's quite entertaining, it's about an Italian scientist who can't move up in corrupt Italian academia, and due to money problems he starts developing drugs. He does this because designing molecules is the only thing he knows.

Sounds like an italian version of Formula 51.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks man for the list. Midnight Run was pretty cool. I've seen it a while back. You mean Leon: The Professional right? That was a fantastic film.
Yup.

Gangster Number One was another good one. Paul Bettany was awesome. He was considered for the Joker in the Batman movies and this movie shows you why. Plays an absolute freakshow in this one. What a demented film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad