OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A hadron is an agglomeration of three quarks, such as a proton and neutron. In contrast, a meson is made of two quarks, such as a pion. Electrons are neither.

I believe the LHC is now smashing protons together at energies of 7 TeV each, so the nucleus of a selingle hydrogen atom has approximately 1% as much energy as an ant (a macroscopic object) moving around.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
With pickup lines like that, it's a wonder science geeks don't get all the hot women.

Eh.... not sure you'll pick up a lot of women with that one. We're talking about smashing hard-ons together here.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just finished watching the documentary Particle Fever about the large hard-on collider. That kind of nerdy science stuff makes me giddy like a child.

From what I read, they just discovered a new particle which (very briefly) held five quarks stuck together, which they named a "Pentaquark". By contrast, a proton is made up of three quarks.

I have no idea what application these Hadrons (various bundles of quarks) have. Makes you wonder about the nature of our 'typical' atom, and how it settled into its current state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad