OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#LookMomICanFly

It never disappoint. True performer. Crazy revolutionary. Freakin OG. Too far from this musical industry. Rare product. Bringing a lotta of vibes. Believes and believed on his dreams. Make and made that real. This documentary provides lit scoops.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ya...Hancock was fun...until they had to turn him into a good guy and make it into a good guy superhero flick.

Yea everybody turn on the movie around that point. It's fun when it's light and Hancock is just drunk and screwing up. But they failed at the conception failing to strike the right balance between the funny stuff and the darker stuff. It feels like the second half they wanted to do something like Unbreakable, doing something more raw like Hanock losing his powers and the villain suddenly gaining ground but it was little too late for that. I liked the idea though that he and Charlize Theron used to be a race of immortal Gods.

Reactions: sandviper

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I have been working my way through Justified. Good watch, more of a fun show than a great one. A few dumb plot lines but easy viewing.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
There is a bit about Habs fans exaggerated reactions after a 7-2 loss in the 2017 playoffs in the Martin Matte Netflix special (around the 15min mark). Matte sang the national anthem as a joke on facebook before the game. Some fans blamed him for the loss and sent him death wishes.

Sad and funny at the same time.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
#LookMomICanFly

It never disappoint. True performer. Crazy revolutionary. Freakin OG. Too far from this musical industry. Rare product. Bringing a lotta of vibes. Believes and believed on his dreams. Make and made that real. This documentary provides lit scoops.

"Rollin', rollin', rollin', got me stargazin' (yeah)
Sippin' on purp, feelin' like the Barre Baby (it's lit)
Whenever I’m down, it got me goin' crazy (yah)
Psychedelics got me goin' crazy (alright)

I was always high up on the lean (yeah, yeah)
Then this girl came here to save my life
Look up to the sky, down on my knees (straight up)
Out of nowhere, you came here to stay the night
In the night-time (woo, yah)"

Yeah, lupe fiasco he ain't. :laugh:

inb4 you start praising dj khaled or some shit.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
"Rollin', rollin', rollin', got me stargazin' (yeah)
Sippin' on purp, feelin' like the Barre Baby (it's lit)
Whenever I’m down, it got me goin' crazy (yah)
Psychedelics got me goin' crazy (alright)

I was always high up on the lean (yeah, yeah)
Then this girl came here to save my life
Look up to the sky, down on my knees (straight up)
Out of nowhere, you came here to stay the night
In the night-time (woo, yah)"

Yeah, lupe fiasco he ain't. :laugh:

inb4 you start praising dj khaled or some ****.
La Flame. Straight up. Poppin. It’s lit. Yeah. Woo. Tutututu.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just came back from seeing Joker.

It's a great perfomance by Phoenix into an average movie. But you are gonna have a blast for the last 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Watched season 1 of Pennyworth. What a great show. The Brits sure know how to create drama from the most mundane situations.

They've introduced this wonderfully creepy undertone which makes it even better. Really a great watch.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Walton Goggins is my favorite part of that series. Timothy Olyphant is good but Walton is excellent.

Goggins is a scene stealer in anything. Have you seen Vice Principals?

Raylon gets a little tiresome with his cool schtick. He also needs to shave that schoolboy calibre scruff on his face.

Incidentally Goggins says his current show where he plays a mild mannered dad working in tech is his most true to life character.

Reactions: Redux91

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Raylon gets a little tiresome with his cool schtick. He also needs to shave that schoolboy calibre scruff on his face.

Incidentally Goggins says his current show where he plays a mild mannered dad working in tech is his most true to life character.
Goggins was also great in Sons of Anarchy as the trans.
Olyphant was at his best in Deadwood. He's a pretty good strait guy in the comedy, Santa Clarita diet.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

Yeah, he and Danny McBride are good together. They linked up again in Righteous Gemstones which ended up being amusing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last thread: OT: - Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Just finished watching this year's edition of the Rock'n Roll HOF ceremonies, a 3-hour production on HBO.

Several acts of note got inducted but luckily, some of them did not interest me and I just fast-forwarded through.

They had an In Memoriam segment, as most major award shows feature. It's like a compendium of a bunch of musicians you heard about but never knew they had passed way, sometimes you only knew the band for one hit but never knew the name of the individuals in the band. Bass player of the Hollies, the drummer for Elvis, the drummer for James Brown and the drummer who played for both The Cure and Iggy Pop, Peter Tork the singer and bassist of the Monkeys (the only real musician in that made for TV contraption), Danny Kirwan singer and guitarist of Fleetwood MAC, Vinnie Paul drummer with PANTERA, Ed King one of the gazillion guitarists with Lynrd Skynyrd, Mike Grose bassist for Queen, Marty Balin singer and guitarist for Jefferson Airplane (what a voice this guy had) and of course Aretha Franklin (the HOF's first female inductee).

Some entertaining moments as there always are in this type of set up, when a designated icon comes to the mic and tells stories about inductees. One of them was Suzanna Hoffs who shared her love of the band The Zombies, how much they influenced her when she was a kid in the 60s in the back seat of her mom's station wagon. Holy molly, Suzanna Hoffs of The Bangles fame -- you'd be hard-pressed to find a hotter 60-year old, she looks absolutely gorgeous.

I never paid too much attention to the Zombies. I knew of their main songs but never took the time to look them up. Interesting background, they came from St Albans, near London and were originally a rhythm and blues band in their teens. They weren't a guitar band but more a keyboard band. They eventually entered a battle of the bands event which they won and as part of the prize, a recording session. Talking to their then producer, he said how they could always write something for the session. Rod Argent, their keyboard player, picked up on the suggestion and wrote the smash hit, She's Not There (no. 1 hit in the US, by the time they were 18). Then came Tell Her No. Dave Grohl and Tom Petty were influenced by them. And of course, they eventually wrote Time of the Season.

When Rod Argent took the mic, he talked about what went through his mind when he received the phone call about making it to the HOF. He said he couldn't help his mind racing back to one magical day in 1956 that always remained vivid in his memory -- when his cousin, 4 years older than him, played him 2 and a half minutes of music which changed his life. That music was Elvis Presley singing Hound Dog.

He says "Elvis himself was a god and in some of the first footage that we saw in England, seemed to us like an alien superbeing from a distant universe. I was 11 years old and I couldn't in any way imagine being part of the same world."

And then he added: "Even more unbelievably, something we didn't find out until many years later, Elvis actually had our records on his jukebox." He doesn't say if Elvis eventually shot it as he did with his TVs.

Love the storytelling and anecdotes from the annual HOF show. It's unparalleled if you're a music fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One more segment of note from the Rock'n Roll HOF ceremony.

The next act being inducted after The Zombies was Def Leppard. They hailed from Sheffield, an industrial town in England and were destined to start working in a factory and were willing to do anything to get out of that mundane lifestyle. Then they saw Marc Bolan on Top of the Pops, he was sporting big curly hair and a feather boa, they decided they wanted to be him and started writing songs.

Their credo: "Knowing that this factory life what was you were supposed to do. you won't get many more than one chance -- don't mess it up! Work your ass off."

They spoke of their challenges, including the accident that claimed the left arm of their drummer. "We took the opportunity that we were given and we didn't waste it."

After the highlight film clip played out, Queen's Brian May who opened with a familiar quip: "I'm going to quote first from the Joe Elliott book of philosophy which says, 'you get one chance to do the good shit -- don't f*** it up!'"

Brian May and the band became great friends over the years. He mentions how the band released 50 singles, most of them hits and many number ones.

And then May goes on with this: early on, Joe Elliott (lead singer) asked May, "what's the secret of a successful rock group?" May answered "don't split up."

May then said that a few years later, Elliott came back to May and said: "I have a couple of other secrets to being a successful rock group. You have to not get fat and keep your hair."

They did not get fat, they didn't lose their hair, they didn't split up. And they sure didn't mess up their chance to make it.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The Righteous Gemstones on HBO is pretty funny. Only 2 episodes in but we're enjoying it

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Euphoria

The world of adolescence. Can't call that a series... What a waste of visioning. Botching after botch and botches. Akward scenarios.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I got sucked in to watching "Why women kill". Just saw the finale, funny stuff. Ginnifer Goodwin plays a 60's wife perfectly. Lucy Liu also good.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Just finished watching this year's edition of the Rock'n Roll HOF ceremonies, a 3-hour production on HBO.

Several acts of note got inducted but luckily, some of them did not interest me and I just fast-forwarded through.

They had an In Memoriam segment, as most major award shows feature. It's like a compendium of a bunch of musicians you heard about but never knew they had passed way, sometimes you only knew the band for one hit but never knew the name of the individuals in the band. Bass player of the Hollies, the drummer for Elvis, the drummer for James Brown and the drummer who played for both The Cure and Iggy Pop, Peter Tork the singer and bassist of the Monkeys (the only real musician in that made for TV contraption), Danny Kirwan singer and guitarist of Fleetwood MAC, Vinnie Paul drummer with PANTERA, Ed King one of the gazillion guitarists with Lynrd Skynyrd, Mike Grose bassist for Queen, Marty Balin singer and guitarist for Jefferson Airplane (what a voice this guy had) and of course Aretha Franklin (the HOF's first female inductee).

Some entertaining moments as there always are in this type of set up, when a designated icon comes to the mic and tells stories about inductees. One of them was Suzanna Hoffs who shared her love of the band The Zombies, how much they influenced her when she was a kid in the 60s in the back seat of her mom's station wagon. Holy molly, Suzanna Hoffs of The Bangles fame -- you'd be hard-pressed to find a hotter 60-year old, she looks absolutely gorgeous.

I never paid too much attention to the Zombies. I knew of their main songs but never took the time to look them up. Interesting background, they came from St Albans, near London and were originally a rhythm and blues band in their teens. They weren't a guitar band but more a keyboard band. They eventually entered a battle of the bands event which they won and as part of the prize, a recording session. Talking to their then producer, he said how they could always write something for the session. Rod Argent, their keyboard player, picked up on the suggestion and wrote the smash hit, She's Not There (no. 1 hit in the US, by the time they were 18). Then came Tell Her No. Dave Grohl and Tom Petty were influenced by them. And of course, they eventually wrote Time of the Season.

When Rod Argent took the mic, he talked about what went through his mind when he received the phone call about making it to the HOF. He said he couldn't help his mind racing back to one magical day in 1956 that always remained vivid in his memory -- when his cousin, 4 years older than him, played him 2 and a half minutes of music which changed his life. That music was Elvis Presley singing Hound Dog.

He says "Elvis himself was a god and in some of the first footage that we saw in England, seemed to us like an alien superbeing from a distant universe. I was 11 years old and I couldn't in any way imagine being part of the same world."

And then he added: "Even more unbelievably, something we didn't find out until many years later, Elvis actually had our records on his jukebox." He doesn't say if Elvis eventually shot it as he did with his TVs.

Love the storytelling and anecdotes from the annual HOF show. It's unparalleled if you're a music fan.

Zombies is one of my favorite bands, Colin Blunstone had/has a unique voice. Danny Kirwan lived on the streets of London as a homeless for many years and he passed away last year. He was only 18 when he started with the band in 1968, they had some really good guitarists although all 3 of the early ones had mental problems. Peter Green lost it after using a lot of LSD and wanted the band to give away all the money they earned and he became a schizophrenic and left the band. Finally Jeremy Spencer walked out on the band on a tour of the US after walking into a book store in SF where he met "the Children of God" and he joined them!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone highly recommended the Animal Kingdom series on Netflix and no, it has nothing to do with animals or a zoo.

Anyone in on it? Some pretty good reviews, especially for S2.

Just started it a few minutes ago.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I once searched the best psychedelic song from the Zombies because I once read about it and downloaded about 65 of their songs on an usb key. Man I did listened that usb so many times in my car. The Zombies are a very good band and I never knew them. I realized they were more a keyboard band and a very good one. There is one song it's exactly like the Doors for a lap of 5 seconds, done 4 years before. The singers are good and the drum and bass too. The guitar is so and so but the keyboard is great. If Ray Manzarek hasn't been inspired by the Zombies then I am Queen Elizabeth.

On another note talking about rock and roll, how about the curse of Harry Neilsson, his song 'Can't live without you' from Badfinger (Peter Ham and Tom Evans both hanged themselves after he took the song to make a number one hit 4 weeks in a row), also his appartment in London had two celebrities died ; Mama Cass Elliot in 1974 and Keith Moon in 1978 and many others who died like Marc Bolan, John Lennon, etc, all his friends died, Linda McCartney too.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

you'd be hard pressed to find many albums better than the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle. Up there with Pet Sounds.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I got sucked in to watching "Why women kill". Just saw the finale, funny stuff. Ginnifer Goodwin plays a 60's wife perfectly. Lucy Liu also good.

Wife is 7 episodes in. She’s been trying to get me to watch it, but I dunno, not really inspired to check it out.

Someone highly recommended the Animal Kingdom series on Netflix and no, it has nothing to do with animals or a zoo.

Anyone in on it? Some pretty good reviews, especially for S2.

Just started it a few minutes ago.

I like the show. First season was great. Second season was good to, but I liked S1 more.

Season 3 does feel like it’s losing its legs a bit, kinda like the Habs on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia