OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don’t think people hated the GOT final just because they didn’t get want they wanted to see, I think it was just bad all around and the endding just multiplied the reaction. GOT finale season just wasn’t up to par with the rest of the series.

The breaking bad endding might of been too perfect but it was just better crafted and the finale season was closer to the standard set by the rest of the serie.

Endgame endding is very cheesy but people enjoyed the reste of the movie and it work with that kind of movie. I think any endding can work if the storytelling and everything is done properly but it hard to imagine that most people would of like a endding with a twist like The Mist at the end of a marvel movie than again if they had done it they probably would still have done a better job than GOT.

For sure the ending of GoT sucked but I think they could have countered the blow if the big hero Jon Snow would have been on Top at the end. The last episode was Dany doing a speech and then Jon going to her, stabbing her and then being imprisoned and then going to the wall. It was some sort of slow boring lifeless thing. If they would have taken the BB/Endgame root, go epic instead, last episode, Dany is not killed right away and Jon go rogue and mount a rebellion in KL and the Northerners go into a guerilla battle in the streets of KL against the Unsullied/Dotrakis and Dany/Drogon. Then somehow a leftover of the wildfire connects with Drogon killing him. But somehow the Northerners forces are getting defeated then you see forces from all over the 7 Kingdoms coming to help Jon Snow and the good guys win. They all declare Aegon Targaryen their ruler and Jon ends up on the Throne. And say to give a peace offering to Dany's fans, she could be pregnant and die in childbirth instead of him stabbing her and the child is a daughter. This would be the kind of thing that hits all the bases to make people happy.

The thing is, I'm not even saying this would be a great ending or even good ending. But this is one I have the feeling that would have satisfied a lot of people.

If it would have been my kind of ending, it would have been far messier. And not a "kill the Evil bad guy" type.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I thought that breaking bad and six feet under had perfect endings.

BB's ending was due to completion of Walter's journey.

"I did it for me."

My main problem is that the ending of BB is too much of a super-hero ending. He buys this device that basically beat all the bad guys, defeats everybody and dies on his own term. And I say this as someone that never hated Walt. I mean not even a little.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My main problem is that the ending of BB is too much of a super-hero ending. He buys this device that basically beat all the bad guys, defeats everybody and dies on his own term. And I say this as someone that never hated Walt. I mean not even a little.

The device isn't really that important in BB. It's just there, what really matters is the character journey not the plot.

You're also looking at the ending in isolation and ignoring everything else that happened. A lot of bad shit happened. For example, Hank dies, the woman that Jesse liked died, etc.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#HighMaintenance1

A weedou deliverer. Comical adventures and deliveries. Embarked himself on an endless life road.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
For sure the ending of GoT sucked but I think they could have countered the blow if the big hero Jon Snow would have been on Top at the end. The last episode was Dany doing a speech and then Jon going to her, stabbing her and then being imprisoned and then going to the wall. It was some sort of slow boring lifeless thing. If they would have taken the BB/Endgame root, go epic instead, last episode, Dany is not killed right away and Jon go rogue and mount a rebellion in KL and the Northerners go into a guerilla battle in the streets of KL against the Unsullied/Dotrakis and Dany/Drogon. Then somehow a leftover of the wildfire connects with Drogon killing him. But somehow the Northerners forces are getting defeated then you see forces from all over the 7 Kingdoms coming to help Jon Snow and the good guys win. They all declare Aegon Targaryen their ruler and Jon ends up on the Throne. And say to give a peace offering to Dany's fans, she could be pregnant and die in childbirth instead of him stabbing her and the child is a daughter. This would be the kind of thing that hits all the bases to make people happy.

The thing is, I'm not even saying this would be a great ending or even good ending. But this is one I have the feeling that would have satisfied a lot of people.

If it would have been my kind of ending, it would have been far messier. And not a "kill the Evil bad guy" type.

There a lot off thing that could have work, even the versions that was ultimately pick by them but there was just too many inconsistencies, badly paced and it was just poorly executed... The issue isn’t the actual endding who end up on the trone the issues is how they got there and the storytelling especially considering the ressources at their disposal.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

;)

My issue wasn't so much with how things ended, it was more about how they got there. The last season felt rushed.

Reactions: calder candidate

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

;)

My issue wasn't so much with how things ended, it was more about how they got there. The last season felt rushed.

Oh yea for sure, it's hard to find any redeeming things about the last season, really. But I was mainly talking about the larger public. Personally I feel like the show took a dive quality-wise by Season 5. But there's a lot of people that loved Season 8 but were displeased by how it ended. And that is because it didn't have a classic genre movie big ending where the hero win like it usually is. Most people are not very complex and were cheering when Sansa was named Queen in the North and when Arya killed the NK. Was talking about those people, mainly. ;)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ladies in Black, a 2018 Aussie film set in 1959 about employees in a dept. store and how their lives evolve. I don't know why I decided to watch it -- I suspect it's cause I enjoy seeing the simplicity of the 50s and 60s society -- however, it was rather bland and slow paced. Pleasant for the most part but highly predictable. Would not recommend.

The Green Book -- amazing movie. Was showing on HBO this past weekend. Loved the acting, how the social and political environment was rendered. A powerful movie yet simple on so many levels -- but effective, funny and keeps you riveted. I'm sure several of you have seen it when it was in theaters. Really worth your while.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm also curious what everyone else thought of it. Without spoiling anything, I found it boring and slow, but BB is one of my top favorite shows so I still enjoyed it for the nostalgia factor alone.
From what I was told by people who watched it...major disappointment, felt completely pointless...complete waste of time.
I will skip on watching it. I had big doubts before and did not want to watch anything that will ruin my liking of the show.
It's like Entourage...never watched the movie. Not really interested in movies made from shows.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not really interested in movies made from shows.

Interesting take. I normally don't go watch movies made from shows but can imagine where the shortfalls might be. The slower pace of a series, the details not spared, greater time for character development, better opportunity to develop more complex storylines ... how do you jump from that to the innate constraints of a film?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I just watched El Camino. Really enjoyed it, I am a big BCS fan so I like the BB universe.

I felt it had the right touch of sentiment and humour, and it didn't go deep into fan service like some delayed epilogues have done.

I thought it was way better than the Deadwood movie which was fun but not particularly well done in my opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Going back to The Green Book, the more I read about Viggo's prep for the movie, the more I'm intrigued.

Viggo gained 20 lbs. prior to the movie in order to go method for the part. And gained another 25 lbs during the shooting, lol. And he wasn't just spitting out the food he was eating. For instance during the hotdog eating sequence, Viggo scoffed 16 hotdogs from all the takes they did.

And then there is the matter of his mannerisms and delivery in acting like an Italian living in NY in 1962. He was very convincing. He also has an ease with languages, he's so versatile.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just finished "The Boys". The end of season is so damn satisfying you wouldn't believe it if I told you.

Homelander, baby. :laugh:
Can't believe it took so long for someone to have a different take on a superhero show/flick.
I enjoyed it.

Reactions: Edgy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Can't believe it took so long for someone to have a different take on a superhero show/flick.
I enjoyed it.

It sort of reminds me of Hancock with Will Smith as far super-heroes in the real World behaving badly. But Hancock didn't have the best script and in a series you have all the time and space to develop that Universe and its characters. Also they cannot mess it up, it comes from a comic-book and the creator Garth Ennis is pretty great. (although I have not read The Boys comics).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Going back to The Green Book, the more I read about Viggo's prep for the movie, the more I'm intrigued.

Viggo gained 20 lbs. prior to the movie in order to go method for the part. And gained another 25 lbs during the shooting, lol. And he wasn't just spitting out the food he was eating. For instance during the hotdog eating sequence, Viggo scoffed 16 hotdogs from all the takes they did.

And then there is the matter of his mannerisms and delivery in acting like an Italian living in NY in 1962. He was very convincing. He also has an ease with languages, he's so versatile.
I loved The Green Book. It had everything a film needs to be considered "Great". Acting, screenplay, directing, camera, and emotional tone. Worthy Best-Picture Oscar winner.

Reactions: Megaforce

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I just watched El Camino. Really enjoyed it, I am a big BCS fan so I like the BB universe.

I felt it had the right touch of sentiment and humour, and it didn't go deep into fan service like some delayed epilogues have done.

I thought it was way better than the Deadwood movie which was fun but not particularly well done in my opinion.
I thought El Camino was satisfying, nothing more. As much as I love Jesse's character and wanted to see his story arc resolved, he's not enough to carry the BB mantle. The film made for a good subplot, but never reached the orbit of my lofty expectations.

Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I thought El Camino was satisfying, nothing more. As much as I love Jesse's character and wanted to see his story arc resolved, he's not enough to carry the BB mantle. The film made for a good subplot, but never reached the orbit of my lofty expectations.

Like many things, it's all about expectations. I wasn't expecting much and enjoyed it. Good not great. I didn't read anything about it prior to viewing which always helps. I expected it to be a let down so I was pleased.

Funny, I though BCS was a bad idea and it is sublime.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ive been watching The good place

Pretty funny, good background noise to knock me out.
The Good Place has some of the sharpest writing I've ever heard. It's as witty and sublimely clever as The Simpsons used to be, with a healthy dose of philosophy musings. It doesn't dive as deep as a real drama, but it's consistently weird enough to keep me interested.

Reactions: Fenris and Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It sort of reminds me of Hancock with Will Smith as far super-heroes in the real World behaving badly. But Hancock didn't have the best script and in a series you have all the time and space to develop that Universe and its characters. Also they cannot mess it up, it comes from a comic-book and the creator Garth Ennis is pretty great. (although I have not read The Boys comics).
Ya...Hancock was fun...until they had to turn him into a good guy and make it into a good guy superhero flick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Good Place has some of the sharpest writing I've ever heard. It's as witty and sublimely clever as The Simpsons used to be, with a healthy dose of philosophy musings. It doesn't dive as deep as a real drama, but it's consistently weird enough to keep me interested.
I feel that the last few episodes have been really heavy because there's no narrative, theyre at like phase 303030 and Jayson fighured it out now... I hope it moves along because Im losing interest, sadly.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad