OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The key word here is want. You want something, and now I'm supposed to do something extra to accommodate you. How is that fair?

Kind of an odd comment. It's equally as time consuming to a do a multi quote than it is to just click the spoiler tag.

You've probably used the multi quote today so...

Are we gonna have to use spoil tags in PGT's now because some people haven't seen the game? :sarcasm:

If you see the word Endgame, or GoT, is it so hard to stop reading? :laugh:

I can count on one hand the number of posts that say "This is about GOT" at start of their post. Usually it jumps in and its too late.

It's actually nearly identical in time to write "GOT" at start and to click a button and maybe/maybe not write GOT in type of spoilers.

Anyway, I don't particularly care about the GOT side of it since I am 90% sure I know the ending to episode 6 anyway. There's very little you can ruin for me. As for end game, whatever. I haven't watched it but I am unsure when I will and enough time has passed I guess. Just figure people should give GOT viewers a week. The episode played Sunday and people were bitching about spoiler tags monday or tuesday...

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
The key word here is want. You want something, and now I'm supposed to do something extra to accommodate you. How is that fair?
It’s not fair, it’s censorship/communism and this is just a very small example of it. But adopting this kind of mentality is very dangerous moving forward as a human race. This is China’s mentality, block the internet of things they don’t want their people to see/discover/find out.

Again, this is a tiny example of it, but this mentality of baby proofing and censoring the world will be the downfall of freedom.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It’s not fair, it’s censorship/communism and this is just a very small example of it. But adopting this kind of mentality is very dangerous moving forward as a human race. This is China’s mentality, block the internet of things they don’t want their people to see/discover/find out.

Again, this is a tiny example of it, but this mentality of baby proofing and censoring the world will be the downfall of freedom.

The Mad Chapelle.

Reactions: peate

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Literally takes 2 seconds to put the spoiler tag.

It's not just for GoT either. What if someone wants to talk about let's say GoT and hasn't seen end game but plans to see it when it comes out on YouTube or whatever?

By the logic I'm seeing here, everyone has to have seen every movie to even read this thread? Makes no sense... Just put the spoiler tag...

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Well, not sure a death from two weeks ago needs a spoiler tag but I’ll add it since I am referencing a character shift this past episode.

It’s too bad they killed Jorah off, albeit as a hero and for a woman he loved.

However, I think it would have been such a great story for his arc to see the woman he loved and believed in completely go apesh*t. This would be worse than getting friend-zoned. It would make more sense for him to do something about Dany than Jon or anyone else. The amount of inner conflict it would cause him and the journey to his ultimate decision would had made some great TV, especially as Iain Glen is such a great actor.

would it be worse than getting friend-zoned because she's your aunt? :sarcasm:

one cool thing about your scenario is that it would give a little taste of revenge (indirectly) to Sam, considering he saved Jorah.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I’m more worried about you than a spoiler tag to be honest.

While I don't think he's necessarily expressing himself the way I would, I don't think he's entirely wrong. Safe space culture grows like a cancer. There was a thread regarding women joining the NHL on the mainboards that needed to be shut down because it is somehow something of a controversial opinion these days that men=/= women. While it's not exactly what we're discussing here, putting the onus on those sharing opinions to 'self' censor to a certain degree is far more dangerous than expecting those wandering into a discussion to understand that things may be said they don't want to hear.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I’ve been watching Justified on Prime. I remember watching the first two seasons but not certain if I had started S3 when it was on Netflix way back when.

Good show imo. Olyphant and Goggins are great. Margo Martindale was excellent as Maggs Bennett.

When I am done Justified I’ll peruse the selection to see what else they got.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I get that argument, but it would have considerably more merit IMO, if it wasn't such a simple thing to do - literally 2 mouse clicks.

There's not a poster here who isn't worth 2 clicks of my time.

As mentioned before, the more annoying part is reading the thread where every post is tagged as spoiler. But yes it's easy to put the spoiler tag, but guess what it's also easy to not go in the thread until you watch the latest episode.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Well that's where pro-social tendencies should kick in. That something extra costs nothing but 5 seconds of your time. If it seems such a huge sacrifice to you, maybe you should remove yourself from civilization as it is based on a massive set of pro-social compromises such as this one.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As mentioned before, the more annoying part is reading the thread where every post is tagged as spoiler. But yes it's easy to put the spoiler tag, but guess what it's also easy to not go in the thread until you watch the latest episode.
I suggest posting in the Fresh Fish thread, where the spoiler alert only lasts two days.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I hope you see the irony here. If I want to discuss something, I should go some place else to do it. If you want to discuss something, instead of going some place else everybody has to accommodate you.
If I really expected people to accommodate me, I'd have insisted you laugh at what was clearly a lousy joke. Fresh fish, two days, spoiling... get it?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well most people say the spoiler tag only needs to last a week, so you still won't be able to avoid spoilers if you plan on binging the whole season. So how long do we have to use the spoiler tags? A month, 6 months, a year? What about people who are a couple seasons behind, should we make it 2 years?

That's a fair question. I'm not sure what the acceptable limit is here. I'd hazard that the week you mentioned after the broadcast would be a more than reasonable length of time.

To be clear, I will take my chances with or without spoiler tags. I just think it's reasonable for me to provide them for others who want them.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well most people say the spoiler tag only needs to last a week, so you still won't be able to avoid spoilers if you plan on binging the whole season. So how long do we have to use the spoiler tags? A month, 6 months, a year? What about people who are a couple seasons behind, should we make it 2 years?

I'm pretty sure people are asking you to avoid spoilers of the last episode for a week. It means today it wouldn't be weird for you talk about season 8, episode 4 openly. Season 8, episode 5 with a tag.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
"It's too much effort" to put a tag consisting of 3 characters 'GOT' for likely one of the biggest shows of all time for a week after an episode in its final season ONLY.

It's not too much effort to complain about it and write thousands of characters instead.

Such a pointless discussion, it's temporary. To invest this much time arguing will not change much.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Well that's where pro-social tendencies should kick in. That something extra costs nothing but 5 seconds of your time. If it seems such a huge sacrifice to you, maybe you should remove yourself from civilization as it is based on a massive set of pro-social compromises such as this one.

I wonder whether you can consider something a 'pro social tendency' if it needs to be mandated and enforced to have any chance of sticking. :dunno:

I'm not against the spoiler tag, I think people should use it as long as they care to for other people's benefit. I don't think people should be considered ass holes for forgetting it, though. You're probably a bit of an ass hole if you're spoiling things for people on purpose, but you're also a bit of a moron for going into a tv/movie discussion thread when you know 4/5 posts are about marvel/GOT discussion. I hire ass holes over morons any day of the week, FWIW.

Still curious on how the spoiler tags should work for those of us who just wanted their experience to remain pure with the books. Does this principle of pro social tendency extend past the need to protect the wants of the most vocal minority?

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The difference is the sharing is allowed but with a tag and even that’s temporary. What you’re describing is permanent ban.

With regards to the main board thread, I agree. I was only trying to illustrate how quick the 'consideration for others' angle can be used towards selfish/stupid/arbitrary means.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
That's a fair question. I'm not sure what the acceptable limit is here. I'd hazard that the week you mentioned after the broadcast would be a more than reasonable length of time.

To be clear, I will take my chances with or without spoiler tags. I just think it's reasonable for me to provide them for others who want them.

IMO, a week is too long. I think 3 days is more than enough for a TV show. I mean, really, what is the line going to be? Say a less popular show, such as The Orville. Does that get a week also? How about John Wick 3? Because it’s a movie, does it get 2 weeks? How about stuff that came out years ago but has a massive twist that changes a whole show/movie? Can I say who Keyser Soze is right off the bat?

Anyhow, I think 3 days is reasonable for GoT and say a week for a tent pole film. I mean, end of the day we want to encourage discussion, but at the same time we don’t want to spoil things 5 minutes after the show ends. I said it before, I avoid threads if I want to be sure I don’t get spoiled, I came here Monday night since I couldn’t watch GoT Sunday. I still posted with spoiler tags up until yesterday evening, but we’re Wednesday now and I don’t think the tags are needed at this point. However, since the rule established is 5 days, I’ll respect it.

On the flip side though, I do believe using spoiler tags is just plain courtesy for something still fresh in a non-primary topic forum. This is a hockey site, so it’d be kind of a surprise to see somebody spoil how the Avengers won on opening night. However, it’s still proceed at your own risk as this isn’t like Reddit where entire discussion threads are tagged with Spoiler Alert.

Anyhow, I’m rambling, but because I am a nice guy, I’ll say this with spoiler tags:

The Habs won’t win the cup this season.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I wonder whether you can consider something a 'pro social tendency' if it needs to be mandated and enforced to have any chance of sticking. :dunno:

I'm not against the spoiler tag, I think people should use it as long as they care to for other people's benefit. I don't think people should be considered ass holes for forgetting it, though. You're probably a bit of an ass hole if you're spoiling things for people on purpose, but you're also a bit of a moron for going into a tv/movie discussion thread when you know 4/5 posts are about marvel/GOT discussion. I hire ass holes over morons any day of the week, FWIW.

Still curious on how the spoiler tags should work for those of us who just wanted their experience to remain pure with the books. Does this principle of pro social tendency extend past the need to protect the wants of the most vocal minority?
I don't think anyone is calling people assholes here. If you forget, you forget. It happens. I just think that seeing as this is the general movie thread and that we are all part of a community, that we should offer a little courtesy and respect towards one another. I don't think it's too much to ask. Having more people come in this thread without being worried of having movies and shows spoiled can only be good for discussion.

As for the show spoiling the books.... Lol is all I can say. GRRM saw the reaction and theirs no way he concludes his brain child in this manner. If he ever concludes it. At this point the books are very different from the show anyways

Reactions: ArtPeur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->