OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Dc has now their stream service too.. that's where Titans was shown first, If i'm not wrong... Now I'm not saying it will be a major player... but maybe it will eventually stop to be on Netflix.

I don't worry... There is a lot of material out there if Netflix want to keep playing on the known universe Card... Lots of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Drama, Thriller novels that could make great shows... I think that Netflix should have their own " universes"... I believe that's what they are trying with Altered Carbon, Nightflyer and The Witcher...

I would suggest them to try and go after the right of some of the wizard of the coast properties... A magic the gathering series could really become very popular.

Reactions: Astormynight

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Disney may fail at some point. They're already failing on the Star Wars front and they might have trouble with their next Marvel movies (aside from Avengers)

On another note, I had seen an Umbrella trailer on netflix a week or two ago, I would watch the first episode tonight but I'm so tired right now

They almost lost the plot with Marvel, too... Good thing they gave Feige the reigns, because that was going down quickly.

Marvel studios is kind of the Montreal Canadiens of film making... Theyre so satisfied with being just mediocre when they could rule the f***ing world.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
They almost lost the plot with Marvel, too... Good thing they gave Feige the reigns, because that was going down quickly.

Marvel studios is kind of the Montreal Canadiens of film making... Theyre so satisfied with being just mediocre when they could rule the ****ing world.

Isn't that Disney's schtik?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think you're mistaking what is just difficult balancing out of a fast and ever increasing expansion.

It looks unsustainable because you've never seen anything like it.

Im a pirate and netflix actually managed to make a customer out of me again. That's a power you both do not seem to understand, or at the very least, highly underrate in your outlook of their future.

I understand business enough to know that a one-trick pony never lasts. Amazon, Disney, Google and Apple understood this.

I love Netflix. Don't get me wrong. But it is a prime of example of unsustainable growth. I mean, you can't expect a continuous growth of membership here. Not at the actual rate. All I see is a big giant either buying it to use on one of its platforms or a fusion. I'm not the one who started this Apple/Disney discussion. Many observers see it coming.

Buuuut this is not the thread for it. I apologize for the trouble !

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have you seen Manifest? I've got the pilot but haven't watched it yet. Time travel is always fun.

Manifest (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb

Myself and sandviper have both reviewed it in the prior edition of this thread. I know I bailed pretty early. I think sandviper did too but he grew increasingly frustrated with it, as I recall.

Not all time travel is rendered in a palatable fashion. I would recommend the three-season series, Travelers on Netflix, if that's the genre you enjoy. Best time travel show I've experienced.

Reactions: sandviper and peate

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
I would suggest them to try and go after the right of some of the wizard of the coast properties... A magic the gathering series could really become very popular.
Not sure I'll watch that but I agree with you... it could be a really interesting choice.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I understand business enough to know that a one-trick pony never lasts. Amazon, Disney, Google and Apple understood this.

I love Netflix. Don't get me wrong. But it is a prime of example of unsustainable growth. I mean, you can't expect a continuous growth of membership here. Not at the actual rate. All I see is a big giant either buying it to use on one of its platforms or a fusion. I'm not the one who started this Apple/Disney discussion. Many observers see it coming.

There's still room to grow and tgey haven't overextended themselves yet. How far will it reach? It's very likely that they can still double their subscriptions before their growth slows down.

I'd suggest you look at their subscription charts. They seem to be still growing just as much as we speak.

Anyway, time will tell.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's still room to grow and tgey haven't overextended themselves yet. How far will it reach? It's very likely that they can still double their subscriptions before their growth slows down.

I'd suggest you look at their subscription charts. They seem to be still growing just as much as we speak.

Anyway, time will tell.
Plus, theyre very much only touching tv shows and movies, there's a lot of things they could do other than that. Going for music, sports, Esports, etc.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Myself and sandviper have both reviewed it in the prior edition of this thread. I know I bailed pretty early. I think sandviper did too but he grew increasingly frustrated with it, as I recall.

Not all time travel is rendered in a palatable fashion. I would recommend the three-season series, Travelers on Netflix, if that's the genre you enjoy. Best time travel show I've experienced.

Pretty much spot on.

No time travel in this show really. Missing time perhaps, though maybe they will spin time travel in their finale.

That said, it wasnt the sci-fi aspects that bothered me, but rather the unrelatable and unlikable characters.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I'd love to have a one trick pony that generates close to 16 Billions in revenue...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I guess the pilot will remain unseen. :laugh:

Oh I dunno. If you wanted to find something more frustrating than figuring out which version of the Habs we'll get each game, Manifest is it.

In all seriousness, the premise has/had promise. I stopped watching mid-season, so maybe it got better (I heard the season finale had some big reveal) but there is NOBODY I liked in the show and it's hard for me to become engaged if I don't feel attached to the characters. Plus, as I get kids need to start somewhere, TV shows need to be more selective when casting kids in shows. That is, make sure they can act. Daytime soaps I get, but prime time TV with wooden and poor acting is unacceptable.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Oh I dunno. If you wanted to find something more frustrating than figuring out which version of the Habs we'll get each game, Manifest is it.

In all seriousness, the premise has/had promise. I stopped watching mid-season, so maybe it got better (I head the season finale had some big reveal) but there is NOBODY I liked in the show and it's hard for me to become engaged if I don't feel attached to the characters. Plus, as I get kids need to start somewhere, TV shows need to be more selective when casting kids in shows. That is, make sure they can act. Daytime soaps I get, but prime time TV with wooden and poor acting is unacceptable.
I'll probably watch a bit just to satisfy my curiosity, besides, I decide pretty quick if I like a show or not, 15-20 minutes usually does it.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I've seen my brother watching an episode or two of Knightfall but I was surprised, while I was watching something on History, that Mark Hamill joined season 2. Actually, if they didn't show us that he was starring, I would never know that it was him

Knightfall (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

I know that my brother was mostly pi**** that the show was depicting the French speaking English

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You mean the one where #1 puts "I think we're alone now"?

I liked the montage of each of them dancing in a room and seeing them and the house as a miniature. Reminded me of the doll house in Hereditary.

Yeah, that scene. Their dance moves feel awkward but, as you said, the house montage was really great. Most songs have been on point (or so) so far.

Phantom of the Opera medley (though I'm a bit sold to this musical/opera), Run Boy Run, I Think We're Alone Now, Don't Stop Me Now, ...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I’m an old timer here. If you, my friends, want to take a look at some older series let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad