Prospect Info: Let's talk about Mason Marchment as much as possible ASAP

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Before the AHL playoffs he was most known for crosschecking Marner in the face and ending (?) his playoffs

I remember B. Marchment as a leaf. He destroyed Mike Ribeiro (MTL) one night after he scored goal. He couldn't even celebrate the goal and his team mates had to peel him off the ice surface.

Reactions: teddygmr

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Josh Leivo? They guy they passed over twice last season in favour of Marlies?
Not sure why you think he's got any shot. Babs does not seem to care for him. I'd be shocked if he could secure a regular spot.
Whomever of the 2 I suggested would have to beat out Ennis and/or Grundstrom. The latter may be ticketed for the Marlies for the start of the season, regardless.

The other thing is, Engvall is 100% a Babs guy. Works his tail off, strong on the puck and in the corners.

Time will tell.

Leivo needs to clear waivers and the Leafs have shown they don’t want to lose him for nothing.

Engvall’s a fine player but additional seasoning in the AHL wouldn’t hurt him. Same goes for Grundstrom, who is also a Mike Babcock player. Give them the Andreas Johnsson treatment. In fact, Babcock has called out Grundstrom’s name in media scrums on a few occasions.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Leivo needs to clear waivers and the Leafs have shown they don’t want to lose him for nothing.

Engvall’s a fine player but additional seasoning in the AHL wouldn’t hurt him. Same goes for Grundstrom, who is also a Mike Babcock player. Give them the Andreas Johnsson treatment. In fact, Babcock has called out Grundstrom’s name in media scrums on a few occasions.
Ya. I know.

All I said was “don’t be surprised.”
Not a prediction.
But I’d be stunned if Leivo is a regular.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Fans always seem to love their hard working, overachieving minor leaguers. It's not like Marchand (or Moore or Holl) are young prospects. Fringe NHLers at best. But good luck to them in their dream of being NHLers.

Reactions: hotpaws

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Fans always seem to love their hard working, overachieving minor leaguers. It's not like Marchand (or Moore or Holl) are young prospects. Fringe NHLers at best. But good luck to them in their dream of being NHLers.

I'm sure you meant Marchment. Lol.
Thing with Marchment is although he will drop the gloves, that's not necessarily his strength. If this was the 90's he wouldn't do to well in a fight. But as it is he is a hard worker and will chip in with the odd goal. He is a momentum builder, with energetic shifts. If he could build his skating, balance (not slow, but awkward and not efficient) and defensive game to NHL levels, I could see a 4th line role for him. But it's a ways away.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Tom Wilson and David Backes proved to Leaf fans what intimidation can do in the playoffs. Backes killed us this year and Wilson killed us last year.

This guy, might just be a Dubas favourite, and if he is, he might become meathead's(Babcock) next favourite creature.

He is raw, not overly skilled, but he seems to really be competitive and careful not to get caught by the zebras. I see Tom Wilson lite here.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Tom Wilson and David Backes proved to Leaf fans what intimidation can do in the playoffs. Backes killed us this year and Wilson killed us last year.

This guy, might just be a Dubas favourite, and if he is, he might become meathead's(Babcock) next favourite creature.

He is raw, not overly skilled, but he seems to really be competitive and careful not to get caught by the zebras. I see Tom Wilson lite here.
Backes and Wilson killed the Leafs? :laugh:
If he's careful to not get caught by the zebras than he's nothing like Wilson or Backes who seem to actively look for that.

I'm glad Marchment is nothing like Backes and Wilson.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sorry guys, this one came after a long time. I got really sick for a few days and had university so I didnt get much time.

17) Mason Marchment

Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great

Stats

2016-17
Toronto Marlies
AHL91016-2|
Orlando Solar Bears
ECHL3514620271|Playoffs714511-6
2017-18
Toronto Marlies
AHL441115263612|Playoffs20639183
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mason Marchment - Prospect-Stats

2017/2018
eTOI/GP- 4rd line ice time
G/GP- above average 2nd liner
A1/GP- below average 3rd liner
A2/GP- above average 1st liner
P1/GP- poor 2nd liner
P/GP- above average 2nd liner
Sh/GP- below average 2nd liner
eG/60- great 1st liner
eA1/60- average 4th liner

Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 1.5/2.5
Shot: 2.5/3
Puck Skills: 3/3
Compete: 5/5
Defence: 3/3.5

Note: puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creativity

Wasn’t well known when he first came into the organization, played 9 games with the Marlies but was sent to the ECHL to work harder to become a better player. He played alright but it would have been better to go down and develop his game a little. Now after a solid full season with the Marlies, he is looking like a legitimate prospect that has a chance to make the NHL in the next year or so.

His skating simply isn’t good enough. His feet look like they are stuck in cement, and its an aspect that is seriously lacking. Their has been some improvement, but a lot of work is still needed even if he wants to take the next step in his game.

Offensively, his tools are average maybe even slightly above average. You wouldn’t think he would do much with the puck, but he can put up some points. His best asset is just offensive hockey IQ and knowing where to be in the zone. He can create a little, and can control the puck, but no one will mistake him for a playmaker. His skating is something that limits from doing a lot with the puck. Its an aspect that he seriously needs to keep improving, because right now it is a stumbling block. Pretty decent hands but again he won’t really make too many plays, and his skating is a good reason for that. His shot isn’t bad. He doesn’t have a lot of power but its accurate and has proven he can score with it.

He is fine defensively. He probably won’t hurt the team and is reliable. One thing that helps is that his work ethic is always strong. No matter the situation, he doesn’t take a shift off and was one of the hardest workers for the Marlies this season. A continued emphasis on Improving his skating could help him on defence, which will aid in trying to cut off players on the ice, an will help in the forechecking aspect too especially since his effort level is already very good.

Stock
?
Up
He produced good top 6 numbers receiving 4thline minutes, He shown signs if being a decent player in those 9 games, but he took a great step this season, and established himself as a good AHL player that the coach can trust.

Will he make the NHL?
Yes. His progression and useful skillset indicates someone that could play in the NHL. Even though the upside isn’t high, he could fill in on the 4th line providing energy, and chipping in some offense as well.

Credit to Morgs for helping me with these grades and analysis.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'm all for him surprising and making the 4th line. It would be nice to have some physicality in there.

But I doubt he comes close this year. His time is still ways away.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm all for him surprising and making the 4th line. It would be nice to have some physicality in there.

But I doubt he comes close this year. His time is still ways away.
Not sure if this was towards me, but I didnt mean he would make the 4th line this year. It was he will play in the NHL in general, it doesnt have to be this season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Not sure if this was towards me, but I didnt mean he would make the 4th line this year. It was he will play in the NHL in general, it doesnt have to be this season.

Nah, I was just speaking in general.

I personally want him to make the 4th line. I'm one of the few posters who really values Physicality and think the projected leafs lineup for next season is just too damn soft

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nah, I was just speaking in general.

I personally want him to make the 4th line. I'm one of the few posters who really values Physicality and think the projected leafs lineup for next season is just too damn soft
Oh okay.
Yeah he would bring a different element to the team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Chances are the kid never makes, the NHL even if he does he's a bottom 6 guy, he's not the guy we should be talking about, Liljegren, Sandin (even though I wanted Veleno but we got Tavares so f*** it) Grunstrom, Maybe Bracco these are the prospects worth discussing

Reactions: francis246

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Slow news day?

Best thing about Marchment is his interviews after winning Cups.......

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
'He has good size at 6 foot 4 inches and 200 pounds. Marchment does throw his weight around and is prepared to drop the gloves if needed.'

To me that sounds like a kind of guy I'd like to have on the Leafs side in the playoffs.

He seems like down the line he can be someone who sets the tone on a grind line. Does he play the PK? Babs would probably love that he's 6'4 all day.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Sorry guys, this one came after a long time. I got really sick for a few days and had university so I didnt get much time.

17) Mason Marchment

Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great

Stats

2016-17
Toronto Marlies
AHL91016-2|
Orlando Solar Bears
ECHL3514620271|Playoffs714511-6
2017-18
Toronto Marlies
AHL441115263612|Playoffs20639183
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mason Marchment - Prospect-Stats

2017/2018
eTOI/GP- 4rd line ice time
G/GP- above average 2nd liner
A1/GP- below average 3rd liner
A2/GP- above average 1st liner
P1/GP- poor 2nd liner
P/GP- above average 2nd liner
Sh/GP- below average 2nd liner
eG/60- great 1st liner
eA1/60- average 4th liner

Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 1.5/2.5
Shot: 2.5/3
Puck Skills: 3/3
Compete: 5/5
Defence: 3/3.5

Note: puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creativity

Wasn’t well known when he first came into the organization, played 9 games with the Marlies but was sent to the ECHL to work harder to become a better player. He played alright but it would have been better to go down and develop his game a little. Now after a solid full season with the Marlies, he is looking like a legitimate prospect that has a chance to make the NHL in the next year or so.

His skating simply isn’t good enough. His feet look like they are stuck in cement, and its an aspect that is seriously lacking. Their has been some improvement, but a lot of work is still needed even if he wants to take the next step in his game.

Offensively, his tools are average maybe even slightly above average. You wouldn’t think he would do much with the puck, but he can put up some points. His best asset is just offensive hockey IQ and knowing where to be in the zone. He can create a little, and can control the puck, but no one will mistake him for a playmaker. His skating is something that limits from doing a lot with the puck. Its an aspect that he seriously needs to keep improving, because right now it is a stumbling block. Pretty decent hands but again he won’t really make too many plays, and his skating is a good reason for that. His shot isn’t bad. He doesn’t have a lot of power but its accurate and has proven he can score with it.

He is fine defensively. He probably won’t hurt the team and is reliable. One thing that helps is that his work ethic is always strong. No matter the situation, he doesn’t take a shift off and was one of the hardest workers for the Marlies this season. A continued emphasis on Improving his skating could help him on defence, which will aid in trying to cut off players on the ice, an will help in the forechecking aspect too especially since his effort level is already very good.

Stock
?
Up
He produced good top 6 numbers receiving 4thline minutes, He shown signs if being a decent player in those 9 games, but he took a great step this season, and established himself as a good AHL player that the coach can trust.

Will he make the NHL?
Yes. His progression and useful skillset indicates someone that could play in the NHL. Even though the upside isn’t high, he could fill in on the 4th line providing energy, and chipping in some offense as well.

Credit to Morgs for helping me with these grades and analysis.

I got down to see one of the games in the Calder Cup finals and he was one of the players that stood out most. It was definitely his work ethic, as you pointed out. He was always working and playing hard. Of the three of us that went, we all agreed that Marchment looked great and was an exciting prospect for the team down the line. He possesses alot of attributes that this team will be looking for. Not sure he'll get the best look this year but I think he will have a serious shot next year.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Chances are the kid never makes, the NHL even if he does he's a bottom 6 guy, he's not the guy we should be talking about, Liljegren, Sandin (even though I wanted Veleno but we got Tavares so **** it) Grunstrom, Maybe Bracco these are the prospects worth discussing

I wanted Veleno too! You can never have too many offensive weapons and Veleno could play wing! Imagine Veleno on Tavares wing with Marner :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad