Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
6'4" 204 pounds shoots left

9 points in 20 playoff games
on the winning Marlies team

26 points in 44 AHL games +12

Mason Marchment

"Observations

March 2018 – Marchment is one of those players that has managed to carve out a role for himself despite never being drafted. He has good size at 6 foot 4 inches and 200 pounds. Marchment does throw his weight around and is prepared to drop the gloves if needed. While not seen as a goal scorer his had work has been paying off as he has now 10 goals and 13 assists in 40 games with the Marlies. The Leafs just rewarded Marchment for his solid play signing him to a two-year entry level contract starting in the 2018-19 season. Marchment is still a bit away from the NHL but could find himself playing an energy role for the Leafs on the 4th Line. He plays a game very similar to the style of play to a Leo Komarov. Brian Harling
March 2018 – Mason Marchment is the son of Bryan Marchment. He was not drafted and has worked his way up the pecking order wih his solid play. He started in the ECHL with the Orlando Solar Bears after graduating from OHL after stints with the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Missassaga Steelheads . He continues to work very hard and did get to play in a few preseason games. He has played a solid role wit the Marlies where he uses his size very effectively. Has modest offense skills but is solid in corners and in front of the net. Brian Harling"

FAMOUS GOAL:

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
6'4" 204 pounds shoots left

9 points in 20 playoff games
on the winning Marlies team

26 points in 44 AHL games +12

Mason Marchment

"Observations

March 2018 – Marchment is one of those players that has managed to carve out a role for himself despite never being drafted. He has good size at 6 foot 4 inches and 200 pounds. Marchment does throw his weight around and is prepared to drop the gloves if needed. While not seen as a goal scorer his had work has been paying off as he has now 10 goals and 13 assists in 40 games with the Marlies. The Leafs just rewarded Marchment for his solid play signing him to a two-year entry level contract starting in the 2018-19 season. Marchment is still a bit away from the NHL but could find himself playing an energy role for the Leafs on the 4th Line. He plays a game very similar to the style of play to a Leo Komarov. Brian Harling
March 2018 – Mason Marchment is the son of Bryan Marchment. He was not drafted and has worked his way up the pecking order wih his solid play. He started in the ECHL with the Orlando Solar Bears after graduating from OHL after stints with the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Missassaga Steelheads . He continues to work very hard and did get to play in a few preseason games. He has played a solid role wit the Marlies where he uses his size very effectively. Has modest offense skills but is solid in corners and in front of the net. Brian Harling"

FAMOUS GOAL:

'He has good size at 6 foot 4 inches and 200 pounds. Marchment does throw his weight around and is prepared to drop the gloves if needed.'

To me that sounds like a kind of guy I'd like to have on the Leafs side in the playoffs.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If our fourth line doesn't play as much anymore, due to our top-heavy 9, I think it improves the chances of a guy like Marchment quite a bit.

He plays hard, but doesn't usually get into anything dumb. Skates really well and is responsible defensively. Babcock might like him, seeing as that sounds a bit like Hyman.

The fourth line, outside of Brown/Kapanen on the right side, is pretty up in the air.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
At present, his services are not required on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He may have a chance next year, but I think right now he's going to need to take more strides on the Marlies.

Same goes for the likes of Trevor Moore, Dmytro Timashov and Adam Brooks. They have some upside, but need a few more strides before they could make the Leafs. The nice thing is that there could be some spots opening up for them relatively soon, especially if guys like Brown, Leivo and Gauthier are traded.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hyman, Marleau, Johnsson for sure.

And then he'd have to battle with Grundstrom, Jooris, Ennis, Leivo (who are likely ahead of him) and then Moore and Engvall as well.

Lots of competition,

I don't count Leivo as "competition" because he's never shown enough fight or care to play for this team.

Ennis is an incredible long shot based on his poor season with MIN. I wish things were different, but I am not sure how his "clean slate" with TOR is going to improve things.

Jooris is likely, and some feel that Grundstrom might need a bit more time in the AHL.

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I loved the way Marchment played in the AHL playoffs, but that being said he is in real tough to make the buds. love his work ethic, strong on the puck, just no quit in his game love this.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Hyman, Marleau, Johnsson for sure.

And then he'd have to battle with Grundstrom, Jooris, Ennis, Leivo (who are likely ahead of him) and then Moore and Engvall as well.

Lots of competition,

Not to mention Bracco and Ferguson. It really depends on whether Marchment can keep up his Hyman style development arc that will set him apart from the competition, what kind of injuries happen over the course of the year not to mention trades, and most importantly, what Babcock thinks the team needs. I think he does stand a good chance of a coffee cup though at some point during the year if he keep up what he accomplished last year.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
If this is the same marchment I remember he was quite dirty. Took out Neiwendyks knee out during the playoffs when he was on dallas

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
LW Patrick Marleau
LW Zach Hyman
LW Andreas Johnsson
LW Tyler Ennis
LW Josh Leivo
LW Carl Grundstrom
LW Pierre Engvall
LW Jeremy Bracco
LW Mason Marchment
LW Dmytro Timashov

In my books, Marchment has moved up to as high as ninth on the Leafs' left-wing depth chart.

Not much else to say.

I can't really imagine him beating out Leivo, Ennis, Grundstrom, Engvall and Bracco for a fourth-line left-wing roster spot, and I think his chances of making the Leafs any time soon, if ever, are a bit remote.

So, yeah, by all means: talk it up!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
LW Patrick Marleau
LW Zach Hyman
LW Andreas Johnsson
LW Tyler Ennis
LW Josh Leivo
LW Carl Grundstrom
LW Pierre Engvall
LW Jeremy Bracco
LW Mason Marchment
LW Dmytro Timashov

In my books, Marchment has moved up to as high as ninth on the Leafs' left-wing depth chart.

Not much else to say.

I can't really imagine him beating out Leivo, Ennis, Grundstrom, Engvall and Bracco for a fourth-line left-wing roster spot, and I think his chances of making the Leafs any time soon, if ever, are a bit remote.

So, yeah, by all means: talk it up!

With all due respect, I really like his chances if that is his competition.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't count Leivo as "competition" because he's never shown enough fight or care to play for this team.

Ennis is an incredible long shot based on his poor season with MIN. I wish things were different, but I am not sure how his "clean slate" with TOR is going to improve things.

Jooris is likely, and some feel that Grundstrom might need a bit more time in the AHL.

Well the point is that there is a ton of depth and Marchment falls right into the middle of it. I don't think he's done enough to put him clearly ahead in that area. He'd have to have an amazing training camp to get a spot (not that I don't think he's capable).

He's an option for a 4th line winger spot and would provide some needed size in the line up. That being said I don't know how his skating would hold up in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->