Prospect Info: Let's talk about Mason Marchment as much as possible ASAP

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If this is the same marchment I remember he was quite dirty. Took out Neiwendyks knee out during the playoffs when he was on dallas

He's only 50% that Marchment. Not sure how much of a dirty player the other 50% of his DNA came from.

HC7

May 2, 2018
'He has good size at 6 foot 4 inches and 200 pounds. Marchment does throw his weight around and is prepared to drop the gloves if needed.'

To me that sounds like a kind of guy I'd like to have on the Leafs side in the playoffs.

I'd rather someone that could score a goal, and play good D but that's just me...

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
If Mason continues along his recent trajectory, he will become an NHL player. Having said that, I am skeptical he will.

Whether or not Mason makes the leafs, he is an asset to the organization. Maintaining strong competition for not only a spot on the leads, but ice time on the Marlies, creates an environment that fosters success. Challenge & adrevsity brings out the best in people.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Grundstrom and Marchment could prove to be the type of players our bottom 6 need... once we move some things around

To me;
Johnsson // Kapanen // Brown
(Most won't be here for the long haul)

They are the top6er type players that become casualties on top teams.
And it's not that we don't want them...we just can't afford a forward group filled with top6 players from top to bottom.
It's happened with all good teams... you let lower teams pay your middle of the road players hefty in their 2nd/3rd contracts

That's when your prospect pool/development is put to the test

Reactions: Duke16

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
At this point in time is he any better than Matt Martin? If not then I don't think he'll be making the big club this year.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He definitely was impressive last year with the Marlies, and was rewarded with an ELC.

Still at least another year out, and that's assuming he continues this massive upward trajectory.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It would to me. Methinks Ennis/Leivo have a leg up on that 4th-line LW spot, and Grundstrom is probably first in line for a call-up at LW.
Josh Leivo? They guy they passed over twice last season in favour of Marlies?
Not sure why you think he's got any shot. Babs does not seem to care for him. I'd be shocked if he could secure a regular spot.
Whomever of the 2 I suggested would have to beat out Ennis and/or Grundstrom. The latter may be ticketed for the Marlies for the start of the season, regardless.

The other thing is, Engvall is 100% a Babs guy. Works his tail off, strong on the puck and in the corners.

Time will tell.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It would to me. Methinks Ennis/Leivo have a leg up on that 4th-line LW spot, and Grundstrom is probably first in line for a call-up at LW.

LOL at Ennis having a "leg up". He is small and might need more than a foot stool or a leg up. Perhaps a 6 foot step ladder?

;)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He may have a chance next year, but I think right now he's going to need to take more strides on the Marlies.

Same goes for the likes of Trevor Moore, Dmytro Timashov and Adam Brooks. They have some upside, but need a few more strides before they could make the Leafs. The nice thing is that there could be some spots opening up for them relatively soon, especially if guys like Brown, Leivo and Gauthier are traded.
This

Marchements' skating still needs some work particularly his edges, he has what looks like average speed and has a solid base and so quite strong along the boards and in corners, funny enough almost the exact same things can be said for Adam Brooks. I don't think either of them see NHL ice this coming season, but you never know. Both however will be relied on heavily in the upcoming Marlie season

Marchement works hard at both ends of the ice and from what I've seen is fairly disciplined in performing his defensive responsibilities, he is almost always where he should be which shows good on ice awareness and when on offense started finding the holes that lead to scoring chances with regularity, although not blessed with the niftiest of mittens he has better then average hand/eye co-ordination, his scoring improved as the season wore on and he started getting regular starts. I don't think he has the overall talent to ever become a top 6 NHL guy, but with his tenacity and fearlessness in the tough areas, he could end up being a tougher and harder working version of JvR as a 3rd or 4th line LW in the NHL

Reactions: teddygmr

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he can skate and is willing to hit and can play strong D he’ll get a chance in camp. Otherwise give us the next ‘he’ to talk about.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
LW Patrick Marleau
LW Zach Hyman
LW Andreas Johnsson
LW Tyler Ennis
LW Josh Leivo
LW Carl Grundstrom
LW Pierre Engvall
LW Jeremy Bracco
LW Mason Marchment
LW Dmytro Timashov

In my books, Marchment has moved up to as high as ninth on the Leafs' left-wing depth chart.

Not much else to say.

I can't really imagine him beating out Leivo, Ennis, Grundstrom, Engvall and Bracco for a fourth-line left-wing roster spot, and I think his chances of making the Leafs any time soon, if ever, are a bit remote.

So, yeah, by all means: talk it up!

different guys way different skill sets

as a 1 to 9 list sure, it's how the hockey news has it

but it should look more like this, skills mated to line expectations

1st line
Zach Hyman
Patrick Marleau
Andreas Johnsson
Leivo
Engvall
Grundstrom
Ennis
Bracco

2nd line
Marleau
Hyman
Johnsson
Moore
Ennis
Engvall
Grundstrom
Leivo
Bracco

3rd line
Johnsson
Leivo
Moore
Grundstrom
Engvall
Marchement
Ennis
Bracco

4th line
Leivo
Ennis
Marchement
Grundstrom
Moore
Engvall
Kara
Bracco

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I really like his game and the trajectory he is on. He needs to hit another gear in order to compete with someone like Grundstrom imo.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
different guys way different skill sets

as a 1 to 9 list sure, it's how the hockey news has it

but it should look more like this, skills mated to line expectations

1st line
Zach Hyman
Patrick Marleau
Andreas Johnsson
Leivo
Engvall
Grundstrom
Ennis
Bracco

2nd line
Marleau
Hyman
Johnsson
Moore
Ennis
Engvall
Grundstrom
Leivo
Bracco

3rd line
Johnsson
Leivo
Moore
Grundstrom
Engvall
Marchement
Ennis
Bracco

4th line
Leivo
Ennis
Marchement
Grundstrom
Moore
Engvall
Kara
Bracco

Love this because I don't expect Leivo or Ennis to make this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad