Lets talk about Auston Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
So what will it take to get Matthews back home to Arizona, how about the Leafs take three players of their choice from the Coyotes and three 1st rd picks going forward. Now name the three players your selecting. o_O

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What is your point? Is this not intuitive? Wouldn't you generally expect bad teams to have worse xgf% and gf%?

Predictive analytics does not determine causation. Also predictive analytics (e.g., simple linear regression, multiple linear regression, random forests) is not correlation.

You know the r-squared you see after you run the linear regression or any regression (non-linear; Logit, probit, LPM, GMM, GLS etc...)what is that called?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So what will it take to get Matthews back home to Arizona, how about the Leafs take three players of their choice from the Coyotes and three 1st rd picks going forward. Now name the three players your selecting. o_O

OEL, Keller and uhhh Domi? Still don't think it's worth it. Quality over quantity.

Reactions: Critical

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Okay, you can play with the wording if you want, he was the most "disappointing" then. Considering his ice time and PP usage, I would have expected more even from an everyday player. He is our #1C though, and will commander $10 million soon. We just lost one of his ELC years playoffs, which hurts.

Good grief...

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Actually fans like you are to blame. Rather then accepting that we ran across a hot team with 1 of the best shut down players in the league we have to create drama and discord in the locker room.

We lost in 7 not on 4 or 5 games after all. Much better teams then us have lost a game 7 after all.

I guess it is impossible for some leaf fans to accept it and build on the best season we have ever had.

Just no pleasing some people unless there is needless and more importantly baseless drama.

Except Boston played really meh. I didn't see a hot team. a hot goalie or an elite shutdown guy. I saw a team shit the bed. Unfortunately, that was our team.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I have. How has Oakland done since that movie came out?

Well to be fair, the rest of the league caught on and applied the same tactic, except they actually had money. Now teams predict player performance based on statistical analysis and it is the norm throughout the MLB. Hockey is starting to trend that way as well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Players have agency and are free to express their opinion if they feel they are under-utilized. Ultimately, they have to respect the coaches decision, but that doesn't mean they can't question it in a respectful way.

I do think the media is blowing it out of proportion though. It is not bad for Babcock to talk to Matthews a week later once cooler heads have prevailed and try to find a middle ground entering the off-season so it isn't dragged into training camp.
If that is all it is then it’s fine. I think it is bigger then that.

Look we are holding all the cards right now so no need to panic but I feel there is a lot more to this then a player who was simply upset at seasons end.

The fact that Babcock flew to Arizona to speak with Mathews tells me that it was serious enough to warrant the trip. Let’s see if Mathews plays with Marner next season that would be a good indication of Babcock having to change.,

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Can't come back to this thread, some posts so stupid, Trading our number 1 center? Either trolling or so stupid it's unbelievable.

Not only does summer show up early here, but it's hot enough that people become delirious from the heat while posting. It's why roughly 95% of what you'll read is absolute insanity.

Reactions: pulfordfan

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I just hope that the back injury from early in the season, which, per Babcock, nagged him for the rest of the season and hindered his skating and therefore his ability to play a 200ft game, is fully fixable and fixed.

If it is, we just need to sit back and watch potentially one of the best players in the league develop and fulfill his potential. If he's fully healthy, gets ample ice time and quality linemates, I think he can get close to 50g, 50a next season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
if he under-performs in next years playoffs do we start worrying?

Alexander Ovechkin was drafted in 2004 and 14 years later he advances to the ECF for the first time. So no, we don't start worrying if Matthews is under performing in the playoffs on year 3 of his ELC.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You're not going to win very many 7 game series when your best player is that horrible.

Matthews wasn't just bad... He was a borderline psychopath.

If you took a random person out of the subway and dressed him in a leaf uniform, he would have a similar series as what Matthew had.

He was abhorrent at a level that neared derangement.

We should all be very worried going forward. Going into the playoffs, I never thought in a billion years that I'd be worried about our young cores future. But the maple leafs have a way of making the borderline impossible a reality. I'm worried. Very very worried. You all should be too.

Reactions: CujosMask

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
71GV79NPpZL._UX679_.jpg

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
You're not going to win very many 7 game series when your best player is that horrible.

Matthews wasn't just bad... He was a borderline psychopath.

If you took a random person out of the subway and dressed him in a leaf uniform, he would have a similar series as what Matthew had.

He was abhorrent at a level that neared derangement.

We should all be very worried going forward. Going into the playoffs, I never thought in a billion years that I'd be worried about our young cores future. But the maple leafs have a way of making the borderline impossible a reality. I'm worried. Very very worried. You all should be too.

Some of those waffles must have been boomerangs and you can't catch for shit:sarcasm:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
WTF did you guys expect a Stanley Cup 2 years after finishing 30th overall?

Now we have fans believing Nick Kypreos nonsense.

Way too much stupidity in here. IM out.
You are acting childish. People are allowed to be disaapointed in Matthews playoffs. It wasn’t good. He needs to be better if we are to take the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad