Let's talk 2015 offseason

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm ambivalent on this point. I have no qualms about allowing either or both to go back to well-run programs like Michigan and Minnesota for their junior years. It'll be interesting to see if they push to get either signed after this season.

How does that work in terms of length of contract? Are they still able to sign them to 3 year deals? Or because they are older does it have to be 2 years?

Paging dotcommunism

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The bigger concern could be one of them staying in college and pulling a Schultz on the sabres. That would be terrible to lose them in free agency.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
How does that work in terms of length of contract? Are they still able to sign them to 3 year deals? Or because they are older does it have to be 2 years?

Paging dotcommunism

18-21 year old players (as of September 15 of the year they sign their ELC) sign 3 year ELCs. Compher and Fasching both turn 22 in 2017 (before September 15 for each), meaning any contract they sign through 2016 is 3 years. So they can both remain in college for their junior years and still sign 3 year ELCs.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
18-21 year old players (as of September 15 of the year they sign their ELC) sign 3 year ELCs. Compher and Fasching both turn 22 in 2017 (before September 15 for each), meaning any contract they sign through 2016 is 3 years. So they can both remain in college for their junior years and still sign 3 year ELCs.

Thank you sir.

That really brings home a benefit a team can have when drafting a college bound player. They can play in the NHL as early as a team wants since no CHL rules. And if they need to develop teams can wait up to 3 years after drafting them to sign them.

Is it similar when drafting European based players?

Last edited:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I'm thinking... Once we secure McEichel, we're going to have an amazing supply of centers. Even if we move a couple to the wing, we've got so many prospects that we can't fit them all in. So I'm wondering who will be the odd man out?

Looking at the future, not just next season but a couple of years down the road, I can see McEichel centering a scoring first line, Girgensons on a hard fought second line and possibly Larsson centering a fourth checking-type line. That leaves a third line that I hope will be a scoring line that get's easier minutes. But who's centering it? Reinhart, or Grigorenko?

And that still leaves Hodgson, Ennis, Compher and more moving to the wing or not making the team. Add that Murray has stated that he doesn't want a long rebuild and I think it's obvious there's going to be trades. Perhaps big ones. I honestly believe that once we've evaluated what we've got, who we want to build on for the future, this team could be competative within two years. We've got the ammo to pull the trigger on some big deals, and Murray doesn't seem afraid to use it.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm thinking... Once we secure McEichel, we're going to have an amazing supply of centers. Even if we move a couple to the wing, we've got so many prospects that we can't fit them all in. So I'm wondering who will be the odd man out?

Looking at the future, not just next season but a couple of years down the road, I can see McEichel centering a scoring first line, Girgensons on a hard fought second line and possibly Larsson centering a fourth checking-type line. That leaves a third line that I hope will be a scoring line that get's easier minutes. But who's centering it? Reinhart, or Grigorenko?

And that still leaves Hodgson, Ennis, Compher and more moving to the wing or not making the team. Add that Murray has stated that he doesn't want a long rebuild and I think it's obvious there's going to be trades. Perhaps big ones. I honestly believe that once we've evaluated what we've got, who we want to build on for the future, this team could be competative within two years. We've got the ammo to pull the trigger on some big deals, and Murray doesn't seem afraid to use it.

Moulson-McEichel-Grigorenko
Girgensons-Reinhart-Larsson/Compher/Insert Prospect Here
Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thank you sir.

That really brings home a benefit a team can have when drafting a college bound player. They can play in the NHL as early as a team wants since no CHL rules. And if they need to develop teams can wait up to 3 years after drafting them to sign them.

I believe the window for European-drafted players was increased from 2 to 4 years of rights-holding with the latest CBA.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

I would think that your top 3 centers are McEichel, Grigorenko and Reinhart in that order. Girgensons moves to wing and Hodgson and Ennis eventually get traded but play wing until then.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I would think that your top 3 centers are McEichel, Grigorenko and Reinhart in that order. Girgensons moves to wing and Hodgson and Ennis eventually get traded but play wing until then.

Not necessarily in/for 2015/16....but I agree with this line of thinking.

Depending on how Girgensons' offense develops, he'd make a great winger for either Grigo or Reinhart.

IF everyone develops as planned, I'd love to see a "middle 6" of:

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia
Compher-Reinhart-Fasching

Granted, that probably wouldn't happen until 16/17 at the earliest, but still

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Come on, once we secure McEichel, Myers will already be dealt for Yakapov....so we either deal for Orielly, or get him in UFA......

Grigerenko - McEichel - Yakapov
O'Reilly - Reinhart - Girgeson
Moulson - ?????? - Armia

Still leaves us with Compher, Fashing, Possler, Ennis, Gionta, Hodgson....etc

I'll take that top 9

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thank you sir.

Under the new CBA a eam has their rights for 4 years. under the ol one it was only 2 yrs which is why they had to sign Ullmark before June 1. Possler, Olafsson, and Johanssen can wait 3 yrs post draft and then sign. I xpectPossler to join the team in 16/17 and the other two in 17/18.

olleges are a little more complicated. Insimplistic terms its until they are due to graduate. But if the player opts t leave college before they graduate then it reverts to 4 yrs of rights just like for european players. If they eclare around or near that 1 June draft year +4 then the team has 30 da exclusivity to nehotiate.

McCabe---since he was drafted after hs freshaman yar they had his rights thru 15 August 2015, when he opted to lave early , Buffalo then had his rihts till 1 June 2016.

On the flip sideis Hurley. ince he stayed a year in the USHL efore college, Buffalo has his rights thru 15 August 2018 (when due to graduate), but he can pull Justin Schultz and declare pro after his junior year in 2017 then the 1 June/30 day clock kicks in (the later of the two dates). This will also apply to G Peterson als at ND/

Another quirk to py attention t with Petron--since he is older--he can run into the early UFA status that happened with San Jose goalie Stahlock (probably misspelling hisname) who didnt start enough games thus instad of RFA he was a UFA at 25 this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad