A) We have 3 x 1st rounders, 2x 2nd rounders
B) The following are UFAs:

Drew Stafford
Chris Stewart
Torrey Mitchell
Andrej Mezaros
Jhonas Enroth
Micheal Neuvirth

I think it stands to reason that a bottom 5 finish is while not guaranteed, a reasonably safe bet.

I also think while we may enter the season with 5x picks in the first two rounds, we will likely end the season with more. Given the UFAs, I'd say we are going to have at least 7 if not 8-9, depending on the season

Now, I'm assuming we don't finish in that top 3 and get a NHL ready player. It obviously can happen.

Assuming all UFAs and leave and no players come back via the deadline, our EARLY 2015 roster looks like:

Moulson-Ennis-Grigerenko
Hodgson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgensons-Armia
Delauriers-McCormick-Flynn

Gorges-Myers
McCabe-Ristoleinin
Zadorov-Pysyk

No NHL level goalies under contract

Obviously, alot will change. I imagine we will end 2014-15 will end with at least one NHL goalie under contract (extended enroth or someone brought in around the deadline)

Buffalo will have ALOT of things going into 2015: Draft picks, prospects, and cap space.

So, looking at the 2015 lineups

http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls?charts_year=2015

The obvious targets are still the same:

Chicago, Boston, and Philly.

There are a few decent names to look at. Sharp, Voracek, Eriksson. However, given the prospect pool and draft pick pool, the Sabres will have to set their sights on a few bigger fish and their availability will really be subject to how the season goes.

Curious to see what peoples thoughts are on potential "big fish" potential or other general thoughts/speculation on the 2015 offseason.

ZeroPT*

Go for Loui or Sharp

Offer something similar to the Kelser deal. So middle 6 forward, young D and a pick.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think the UFA options were already satisfied with the Moulson and Gionta signings. If both Stafford and Stewart are traded there might be a need for a RW signing. Otherwise I don't think Murray needs to do anything but evaluate how ready prospects are.

I think one of Stafford/Stewart and one of Enroth/Neuvirth gets re-signed. Then if Buffalo gets to draft McEichel, one of Ennis/Hodgson/Grigorenko gets traded at some point. Even if most/all of the pending UFAs get traded and Buffalo collects another couple 1sts/2nds, I don't think (unfortunately) that Murray will be able to move up in the 2015 draft to a point that we'll be very happy with. I just don't think other GMs will be willing to move much. Still, Buffalo should have a pretty good line-up for the start of 2015 if our current crop progress the way we reasonably hope.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I hope stewart has the kind of season that gets us all talking about re-signing him

He's got a very rare combination of skills... If he finally figured it out, he could be a big piece of the future

KennyFnPowers*

Agreed on Stewie, and yeah they will need to acquire some gunslinger snipers at some point to turn the yooths into killers. Gio, Moulsy and Georgy are solid Vets (not snipers like Hossa, Sharp, etc).

Also on Stewart. I bet LA or CHI would love to put him on one of those heady bottom 2 lines (that can also crank in big goals).

Deleted member 27798

I hope stewart has the kind of season that gets us all talking about re-signing him

He's got a very rare combination of skills... If he finally figured it out, he could be a big piece of the future
Buyer Beware...Inconsistent player throughout his career, has very good year...in a contract year. Where have we seen that before <cough>Stafford><cough>.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If Larsson doesn't make the roster by next season is he done as a prospect? He'll be 23.
How about Armia? He'll be 22.
Is the 1st, 1st we pick 1st good enough to be on the roster?
Does Ennis really push a Grigorenko to the wing?
Does Hodgson blossom as a winger?
Does Stewart find his stride?
How about Foligno?

Some of many questions to be pondered before I start thinking about the offseason.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Buyer Beware...Inconsistent player throughout his career, has very good year...in a contract year. Where have we seen that before <cough>Stafford><cough>.

Yeah if Stewart really blows it up this season I'm not sure if that's better for Murray as a re-signing or as a deadline deal. Hopefully he'll impress both with stats and with his character, and he'll be an easy decision for a long-term contract. If both Stafford and Stewart get traded, and Grigorenko forces himself in the roster at C, then Ennis, Hodgson, or maybe Reinhart have to move to the wing. None of those players fit the mold of a heavy, tough, forechecker that can impose himself during a playoff. I don't like that line-up as much.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
This will be the off season that TM puts together a package for a top line winger, Evander Kane for example. Assuming we draft first or 2nd and get that number #1 center we need a goal scoring winger to go with him. I am not convinced that Armia is the answer. A goal scoring winger either comes from our 2nd pick in the first round or a trade or both.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Agreed. Hopefully Nolan can have a positive influence on him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This will be the off season that TM puts together a package for a top line winger, Evander Kane for example. Assuming we draft first or 2nd and get that number #1 center we need a goal scoring winger to go with him. I am not convinced that Armia is the answer. A goal scoring winger either comes from our 2nd pick in the first round or a trade or both.

While we'll have the ammo to do so....something tells me we're one year off from the "big trade" that "completes" the rebuild. (that is, I think a trade like that would occur between 15/16 and 16/17)

I think TM will take next year to see what we really have in guys like Risto, Zadorov, Reinhart, Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, etc. Throw in the first pick from 2015 and there's still going to be a LOT of uncertainty as far as trajectory for a number of these guys heading into next year. Not to mention guys like Compher, Ullmark and Fasching will likely be turning pro (and in the cases of Compher and Fasching...likely straight to Buffalo).

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
We're going to wait a year and then sign Kyle Okposo

Or heck, if we really want to go Boston, we swallow our vomit and sign Lucic that year.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
While we'll have the ammo to do so....something tells me we're one year off from the "big trade" that "completes" the rebuild. (that is, I think a trade like that would occur between 15/16 and 16/17)

I think TM will take next year to see what we really have in guys like Risto, Zadorov, Reinhart, Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, etc. Throw in the first pick from 2015 and there's still going to be a LOT of uncertainty as far as trajectory for a number of these guys heading into next year. Not to mention guys like Compher, Ullmark and Fasching will likely be turning pro (and in the cases of Compher and Fasching...likely straight to Buffalo).

Re: Big offseason package move (assume for scoring winger on 2nd/3rd contract, or similar deal).

Right now, with what we know, I think:
A. zman's view = 2016 offseason big move has 50% probability.
B. dunkster's view = 2015 offseason big move has 25% probability.
C. moves both offseasons = 25% probability.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have said this befor fo 15/16team....

They will have to get to the cap foor.

Grigorenko and Larsson will have to clear waivers.

15/16 looks like

Moulson-Enns-Hodgson
Grigorenko-spot 1-Armia
Foligno-Reinhart-spot 2
deslaurier-Girgensons-Larsson
McCormick Gionta

Gorges-Myers
Zds-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber/spot 4

spot 3
Mkarov/Ullmarl/Lieuwen/Hackett

ISSUE---they need to get t the cap floor.

3-4 spotslikely will cost $10M to get to the cap floor

spot 1---thy drat Mceichel Ifthey cant get Mceichel then omesifting of lines would occur and they likely will look at signing a vet to a 2 yr contract

spot 2--wiger---resign Stafford or Stewart to a 2-3 yr contract making $5M per. Other option is acquirng Sharp who has bout $6M and 2 more years left.

spot 3 --a starting goaie. Neuvirth/Enroth could earn a cntract mid season. likly getting $4M on a short 2-3 yr contract. Other optiona are Niemi on a 2 or 3 yr contract making $4M-$5 or reauiring Miller who would have 2 yrs left at $6M per

spot 4--If Meszaros does well hecould be resigned on a short contract(102 yrs) forabout $4M per. in 2016 Risto, McCabe and Girgs get 2nd contracts.This would mean probably trading Weber for an AHl prospectat D since in 15/16 Buffalo will needsome ELC Dmen for Rochester. Hpow Meszaros does and him earning an extension will then play into what Buffalo does with Myers in terms of tradng him.

Any trade deal involving the UFAs his ear if it isnt for picks needs to be or either expensive players nder contract next year(making $4M or more) or for players still on anELC in 15/16 and thus can go to Rochester in 15/16.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

This. Chicago added Campbell in Kane's 2nd year. And then Hossa in his 3rd. That combination put them over the top. Along with about 30 prospects fulfilling their potential, but we're counting on that anyway.

ZeroPT*

I think next summer for us will be similar to the Isles summer this year. Trading off our multitude of picks and prospects for depth pieces and then I think after next year we'll make a legit move for a top player.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I'm thinking Murray wants playoffs next year, and I think starting at the trade deadline (and with a top pick firmly in hand by then), he's gonna go big. Myers for a future bigtime scoring winger, one of Hodgson/Ennis for his kind of top four d-man, trading a future 1st for his preferred "bigger" goalie (because I really don't think Enroth or Neuvirth do the trick for him). Big moves a-comin'.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I think next summer for us will be similar to the Isles summer this year. Trading off our multitude of picks and prospects for depth pieces and then I think after next year we'll make a legit move for a top player.

Sure it depends are we able to draft McEichel, but I don't think we have too much space in our bottom-lines.

Grigo and Larsson lose their waiver exemption and I hope that Gionta won't be in our top-6. It's also not likely that Girgensons will be either.

Moulson - "McEichel" - Hodgson
Ennis - Grigo - Girg
Foligno - Reinhart - Gionta
Larsson - McCormick - Deslauriers

Without McEichel:

Moulson - Ennis - Hodgson
Girgs - Grigo - Reinhart
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
DesLauriers - McCormick - "vet"

We have enough propable third and fourth liners in our pipeline so I rather upgrade our top-6 as soon as possible than use assets to upgrade our bottom-6. After a couple of seasons there will be guys like Compher, Baptiste, Fasching etc. who are able to play in bottom-6, but we have only guys like Carrier, Armia and Bailey being able to play in top-6, and I see them more unlikely players to ever get themselves there than the before mentioned to get bottom-6.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Interesting thread. Let's put another spin on it.

I recall Murray going on record saying that this is not going to be a long rebuild. Add to that the fact that we are close to the cap floor, have a lot of prospects and picks and actually don't need more of those. Now...

What if we use this season to evaluate what we've got, and start being buyers going into 2015? I'm not suggesting this is the plan, but it is another way to go. We are stacked with prospects and picks and at some point those are going to have to become currency in trades because they can't all be Sabres.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
I think theres still another building season after this one. Not in a tank sense, but I don't think there will be active win now moves made. I don't expect the organization to think that a sub 22yr old core will carry this team from the first game on. I do expect to see the bottom 6 filled out and a serious attempt at hitting the UFA pool but not a major trade just yet. Maybe at the deadline next year grabbing a 'rental' who is likely to resign with us.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I think theres still another building season after this one. Not in a tank sense, but I don't think there will be active win now moves made. I don't expect the organization to think that a sub 22yr old core will carry this team from the first game on. I do expect to see the bottom 6 filled out and a serious attempt at hitting the UFA pool but not a major trade just yet. Maybe at the deadline next year grabbing a 'rental' who is likely to resign with us.

IMO it might be more of a "change of scenery" type trade, but totally agree.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
"worst case" draft scenario... we finish 29th and the team below us loses the lotto and pushes us to third. Do we draft a Hanifin or do we look to move the #3 in a deal? Does it depend on where the Islanders pick falls? I'm assuming they are bubble team at best and that the Blues are in the playoffs.

Agree after this next draft there will be tweaking but also time to move assets to pick up bigger pieces for the rebuild.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Before you guys immediately reject it, there is UFA next summer that might be of interest.

Marc-Andre Fleury

He'd have to be signed to a reasonable contract unlike the one he has now. But we don't have any NHL goalies under contract and Ullmark is still a few years away from taking the reins...

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Before you guys immediately reject it, there is UFA next summer that might be of interest.

Marc-Andre Fleury

He'd have to be signed to a reasonable contract unlike the one he has now. But we don't have any NHL goalies under contract and Ullmark is still a few years away from taking the reins...

pretty much immediately rejected it

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Marc-Andre Fleury

Any starting-caliber goalie should deserve consideration depending on what happens with Enroth and Neuvirth, but only on a 1-3 year deal imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00