Let's talk 2015 offseason

GerbeSonOfGloin

May 27, 2011
"worst case" draft scenario... we finish 29th and the team below us loses the lotto and pushes us to third. Do we draft a Hanifin or do we look to move the #3 in a deal? Does it depend on where the Islanders pick falls? I'm assuming they are bubble team at best and that the Blues are in the playoffs.

Agree after this next draft there will be tweaking but also time to move assets to pick up bigger pieces for the rebuild.

Draft Hanifin. As the draft stands right now, after the top three, it sounds like the #4 is, if anyone, Kylington. If 2015 is anything like 2003, a 1C could still be available later in the first round (and 2015 seems to be more center-heavy than 2003 was). Take BPA, no questions asked, with our first pick; with our subsequent picks, we can take centers over marginally more touted dman or winger, and the concept of BPA becomes looser and more subjective at that point anyway.

What we do in the 2015 offseason depends so much on what happens in the draft. If we get McEichel, I'd want that big trade to happen next year. In fact, one of our later 1st round picks could be the centerpiece for it. If we don't, I'd want us to keep all our picks and hold off on the big trade for at least another year.

I disagree with those who are talking about the big trade being for a scoring winger. I'd rather get a top pairing dman. I just don't see that elite scoring winger as being all that necessary to build a contender nowadays. As many cup finalists as not in recent years have not had a single winger who would qualify as an elite talent, while the same cannot be said for top dmen. If Risto and Zadorov end up fulfilling every bit of their potential and we end up with an embarrassment of top-pairing riches, then we can trade one of our excess dmen for a stud winger. But until then, I know which position I'd rather not take chances with.

I understand how it may seem like all our top forward prospects are/will be more on the playmaking side of the puck, but this aspect of scouting reports often turn out to be wrong. Stamkos was supposed to good at everything including goal-scoring, but I don't remember anyone predicting perennial Rocket Richard winning caliber goal scoring upside. Conversely, Tavares was the purest of pure goal scorers at the junior level, that's what everyone knew him as, who ended up more of a generic 30-50-80 1C. I think the odds of one of our top forward prospects, touted to be an elite puck distributor, leveraging their general offensive talent for a surprising goal-scoring upside, are better than our odds of moving major assets for a known question mark like Evander Kane and our ending up winning the trade.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC
Biggest question mark for me is most definitely goaltender. From a length of development standpoint they just take so long to impact the team that if we really are going to have a short rebuild we're going to need to search for one outside the organization bc i don't have confidence in either of the current duo and our prospects still seem years away.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Biggest question mark for me is most definitely goaltender. From a length of development standpoint they just take so long to impact the team that if we really are going to have a short rebuild we're going to need to search for one outside the organization bc i don't have confidence in either of the current duo and our prospects still seem years away.

Should be the number two priority behind McD/Eichel this offseason.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
One of the most interesting spots for next season's roster will be the second pairing LHD.

It's absolutely clear that it just can't be any of Mesz, Benoit or Weber. So, do you place McCabe or Zadorov there? I think McCabe might become good enough but it's far from certain. And I don't want to place neither of them in that place if they aren't absolutely ready.

One solution might be if we end up drafting Hanifin. I think he might be straight away ready for that spot.

So an UFA is a likely option. But it seems it might be difficult to have a legitimate top-4 d-man for a one or two years. So I might consider signing one for a longer term and that being Sekera. We might actually have real chance acquiring him because he's a former Sabre and knows the city and organization. Sure it might create a logjam sooner than later, but I don't think we "need" to keep Gorges til the end of his contract (eventhough I like the guy already a lot) and he most likely would fetch the same 2nd rounder if traded. It would also mean that there were absolutely no need to rush McCabe or Zadorov, which I consider a huge plus.

I think this defense would be a playoff contender caliber next year:

Gorges - Myers
Sekera - Risto/Pysyk
McCabe/Zad - Risto/Pysyk
Weber

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
One of the most interesting spots for next season's roster will be the second pairing LHD.

It's absolutely clear that it just can't be any of Mesz, Benoit or Weber. So, do you place McCabe or Zadorov there? I think McCabe might become good enough but it's far from certain. And I don't want to place neither of them in that place if they aren't absolutely ready.

One solution might be if we end up drafting Hanifin. I think he might be straight away ready for that spot.

So an UFA is a likely option. But it seems it might be difficult to have a legitimate top-4 d-man for a one or two years. So I might consider signing one for a longer term and that being Sekera. We might actually have real chance acquiring him because he's a former Sabre and knows the city and organization. Sure it might create a logjam sooner than later, but I don't think we "need" to keep Gorges til the end of his contract (eventhough I like the guy already a lot) and he most likely would fetch the same 2nd rounder if traded. It would also mean that there were absolutely no need to rush McCabe or Zadorov, which I consider a huge plus.

I think this defense would be a playoff contender caliber next year:

Gorges - Myers
Sekera - Risto/Pysyk
McCabe/Zad - Risto/Pysyk
Weber

What side does Johnny Oduya play? Depending on the how Chicago's cap plays out and whether they want to hold on to guys like Leddy, he might be available. Marc Methot is another guy out there but I think there's a better chance he re-signs with Ottawa.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What side does Johnny Oduya play? Depending on the how Chicago's cap plays out and whether they want to hold on to guys like Leddy, he might be available. Marc Methot is another guy out there but I think there's a better chance he re-signs with Ottawa.

:huh: Chicago traded Leddy to the Islanders over a week ago

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

That's like 7 or 8 for me.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Curious what you guys think about signing some of our current college and Euro prospects to their ELCs this year(after the season like McCabe) or in the 2015 offseason. I would say we need to make sure Fasching and Compher commit to this organization as soon as possible and even burn a year of their entry level like we did with McCabe if we have to. That's my only concrete thought but I think Possler will be signed as well in the summer of 2015 but be loaned back to MODO like Ullmark was.

Still that means Rochester will have the following forwards in 2015:

Fashing
Compher
Baptiste
Bailey

Three of those guys play RW

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Curious what you guys think about signing some of our current college and Euro prospects to their ELCs this year(after the season like McCabe) or in the 2015 offseason. I would say we need to make sure Fasching and Compher commit to this organization as soon as possible and even burn a year of their entry level like we did with McCabe if we have to. That's my only concrete thought but I think Possler will be signed as well in the summer of 2015 but be loaned back to MODO like Ullmark was.

Still that means Rochester will have the following forwards in 2015:

Fashing
Compher
Baptiste
Bailey

Three of those guys play RW

I'm ambivalent on this point. I have no qualms about allowing either or both to go back to well-run programs like Michigan and Minnesota for their junior years. It'll be interesting to see if they push to get either signed after this season.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm ambivalent on this point. I have no qualms about allowing either or both to go back to well-run programs like Michigan and Minnesota for their junior years. It'll be interesting to see if they push to get either signed after this season.

Agreed.

Though, if the rumors held any weight at all, Fasching was debating going pro this offseason.....if they're true, I doubt he's going to hold off another year.

My GUESS is that Fasching goes pro after this year, Compher after his Junior year.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure if I would want to do this even if the price wasn't too extreme, but considering our likely needs next year and TM's comments regarding this not being a 5 year rebuild, what do people think about taking a run at Taylor Hall if Edmonton continues to be a tire fire? Lots of things would need to happen including possibly a management change for them, but considering their needs could you tempt them with something like, Hodgson, Gorges, Isle 1st? I doubt that would be enough, maybe we add a prospect like Compher or Carrier?

Hall for Hodgson, Gorges, Isle 1st and Compher

Moulson Girgs Hall
Ennis Grigorenko McEichel
Stewart Reinhart Gionta/Larsson
Foligno McCormick Larsson/Gionta

Free agent Myers
McCabe Risto
Zadorov Psysk

Ooo baby, probably too early send assets for a top winger, but it would jump start the offense and take pressure off McEichel in his first year.

That doesn't hurt enough, add the St. Louis 1st as well

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Hall for Hodgson, Gorges, Isle 1st and Compher
Add Myers to that deal and it's maybe realistic. Hodgson doesn't have that much value. It's almost impossible to make good deal and have young superstar. Tank is the only way. I would of course love to get rid off Hodgson and couple of more players.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The more I see this team not be able to get the puck out of its end the more I think Staal or Sekera (or some other defensive LHD that can move the puck out of the zone) will be the target.

Gorges-Myers
Staal/Sekera-Risto
McCabe/Zadorov-Pysyk

Unless we want to take a short term flyer on a player like Jagr, there isn't really a first line caliber winger in next year's class anymore, and with Larsson and Grigorenko and McEichel coming up I'd rather not sign a second/third liner that's just going to box a young kid out. Let all the kids play for a year of evaluation, then pouch Okposo from the Islanders in 2016. Yes? Yes.

Moulson-McEichel-Okposo
Girgensons-Reinhart-Grigorenko
Foligno-Ennis-Hodgson
Larsson-Flynn-Gionta

Profit.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Love to get sekera back on a short term deal

Or longterm. Hell, he's only 28. He's better than McCabe and Zaradov now and for the foreseeable future. If BOTH of them get so good they push someone out, we'll trade away an aging Gorges. Sekera, McCabe, and Zads on the left and Myers, Risto, and Pysyk on the right in the future is something I can get excited about.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
The more I see this team not be able to get the puck out of its end the more I think Staal or Sekera (or some other defensive LHD that can move the puck out of the zone) will be the target.

Gorges-Myers
Staal/Sekera-Risto
McCabe/Zadorov-Pysyk

Unless we want to take a short term flyer on a player like Jagr, there isn't really a first line caliber winger in next year's class anymore, and with Larsson and Grigorenko and McEichel coming up I'd rather not sign a second/third liner that's just going to box a young kid out. Let all the kids play for a year of evaluation, then pouch Okposo from the Islanders in 2016. Yes? Yes.

Moulson-McEichel-Okposo
Foligno-Ennis-Hodgson
Larsson-Flynn-Gionta

Profit.

One thing to keep in mind. The problem of not being able to get the puck out of our end rests as much with the forwards as it does our D. We need help up front since we can't keep the puck in the O zone either.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Gorges-Myers
Staal/Sekera-Risto
McCabe/Zadorov-Pysyk

Moulson-McEichel-Okposo
Foligno-Ennis-Hodgson
Larsson-Flynn-Gionta

Profit.

I don't disagree that they would be good targets. Sekera for me more so than Staal because of injuries. But lets not forget how much better the defense will likely be by simply removing Benoit and The Mess. Even if they are only replaced with Pysyk and one of McCabe or Zads.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Or longterm. Hell, he's only 28. He's better than McCabe and Zaradov now and for the foreseeable future. If BOTH of them get so good they push someone out, we'll trade away an aging Gorges. Sekera, McCabe, and Zads on the left and Myers, Risto, and Pysyk on the right in the future is something I can get excited about.

Ya your probably right. What would be reasonable long term for him? 5 years? and for how much? Something like 5 x 4.5 or 5$ enough to get him if he has a another strong year like last?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't disagree that they would be good targets. Sekera for me more so than Staal because of injuries. But lets not forget how much better the defense will likely be by simply removing Benoit and The Mess. Even if they are only replaced with Pysyk and one of McCabe or Zads.

I completely agree. That said, for many people Benoit and Mez were supposed to be huge upgrades over McBain and Sulzer, remember? McCabe and Zads and to some extent Pysyk are still huge question marks. I fully expect all three to be better than the dynamic duo, but it's no sure thing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Ya your probably right. What would be reasonable long term for him? 5 years? and for how much? Something like 5 x 4.5 or 5$ enough to get him if he has a another strong year like last?

I think a good benchmark is Staal. Rumors are Rangers want him to sign 5.5X6, but he wants it to be more like 6-6.5 My money is on signing 6X6.

So fair value for Sekera would probably be 5 per. I'd go 5X5 for him easy. He probably gets more though. If Staal re-signs in NY and Sekera is the top Dman on the market, hello 7X7

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
One thing to keep in mind. The problem of not being able to get the puck out of our end rests as much with the forwards as it does our D. We need help up front since we can't keep the puck in the O zone either.

Oh I agree. The problem there is there's no obvious place to upgrade. If we want to give the likes of Larsson, Grigorenko, Reinhart, and McEichel a chance to succeed, we can't keep burying them with new forwards.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry but why did anyone think that Benoit or Mez were big upgrades except for the fact that McBain and Sulzer were terrible and we got to see them every game, and most people didn't watch the other two on a regular basis. Benoit was hidden behind a super offensive team and was still a consistent liability, and only got a one year contract for barely over the vet minimum. Mez was openly talked about as a possible reclamation project who was scratched regularly last year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I completely agree. That said, for many people Benoit and Mez were supposed to be huge upgrades over McBain and Sulzer, remember? McCabe and Zads and to some extent Pysyk are still huge question marks. I fully expect all three to be better than the dynamic duo, but it's no sure thing.

Not really or at least not myself. I expected Pysyk to be a huge upgrade over McBain. I was expecting Benoit to play on the 3rd pairing. My thinking was Myers would take over Hoff's minutes and do well (And he has so far) with Pysyk backfilling Myers minutes from last year. Obviously that hasn't happened yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: