GDT: Let's Rock: Devils @ Capitals, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It completely slipped my mind that not only is this a no goal, we should have gone on the Power Play here.

This absolutely changed the course of the game no matter how it was going before.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How do they have the power to reverse that call from a couple years ago where we scored on the delayed penalty against the BJ's, but the linesman told the referee that we touched and it got out, but they don't have the power to reverse this one?

That's even just assuming that one of these 4 officials in either of two games tonight, saw what the viewers, coaches and benches saw, that the other 3 did not see?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It completely slipped my mind that not only is this a no goal, we should have gone on the Power Play here.

This absolutely changed the course of the game no matter how it was going before.
Wasn't there another too many men call that was missed earlier in the game at another point? I swear there was, like earlier in the game. They missed another too many men call on the Caps.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe just have Toronto review every goal for like 30 seconds. If they seem something amiss it goes under review. If not we keep playing.

Make sure the calls are right, but stop trying to gameify it by letting coaches have a say.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Maybe just have Toronto review every goal for like 30 seconds. If they seem something amiss it goes under review. If not we keep playing.

Make sure the calls are right, but stop trying to gameify it by letting coaches have a say.

Because it would take too much time. Or some other asinine reasoning. It's incredible how often the league just ignores a simple solution and instead focuses on something else that has nothing to do with anything.

We blew an offsides horribly once, so we better make offsides challengeable so it never happens again! What's that, a team scored a goal with an extra man on the ice? Sorry, that's not important enough to allow a review. Better luck next time.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Not sure if this is the goal that happens in the GDT at that point, but are people really blaming Severson for the second goal? It was a perfect scissor play, he really couldn't do anything. Butcher, on the other hand is puckwatching and loses Backstrom which makes that whole sequence possible. Kind of a typical example why you can't leave Butcher (yet) to play against top lines.

Reactions: Aethon

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Mine too. You're right it's a HUGE difference to not only take a goal off the board but to add a two-minute power play on top of it.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I’m not all Rob Lehner conspiracy on it but I don’t think the team gets calls because they “haven’t been here before.”

If it’s LA, Boston, Pittsburgh or Chicago they get the calls we didn’t yesterday and the day before.

The too many men one is egregious though, I mean more of the interference and holds and trips and whatever that they’re so ****ing giddy to call against us.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Fans need to start calling for Stephen Walkom's job. While he was a good ref himself, the refereeing around the league is just so bad and he seems he can't get it together.

Aren't the linesman allowed to stop play for too many men?

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fans need to start calling for Stephen Walkom's job. While he was a good ref himself, the refereeing around the league is just so bad and he seems he can't get it together.

Aren't the linesman allowed to stop play for too many men?
This sport easily has the worst officiating of any major professional sport.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I may have missed this occuring, but did any of our staff say anything to the refs about this after the fact?

I understand that there may be different things that a coach or his staff is focused on throughout a game such as going over something quick with a player or two, looking at other areas of the ice to see how things are playing out, where players are positioning themselves in certain situations, or seeing what guys you want to put up next to counter who the opposing team is icing currently/what line is being transitioned on the ice, but for not a single coach on the staff to notice or speak with the refs about this? Don't we even have an extra coach on the bench this year?

Just a bit surprised, again from what I saw, that nobody seemed to pick up on this.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Hynes said on the post game "there were 6 guys on the ice the whole play, can't do anything about it, it's the refs call"

I would assume Shero or him and the staff definitely let the league/refs know about it.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Hynes knew but nothing could be done because the refs didn’t see it.

Goes without saying and this happens very often in sports with a missed call where something can't be done - give the official a little chat or in some coaches cases an ear full or little kick in the ass to get their shit together and let them know they missed a bad call. That's why you see coaches arguing at times when there is nothing that can be done.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m not all Rob Lehner conspiracy on it but I don’t think the team gets calls because they “haven’t been here before.”

If it’s LA, Boston, Pittsburgh or Chicago they get the calls we didn’t yesterday and the day before.

The too many men one is egregious though, I mean more of the interference and holds and trips and whatever that they’re so ****ing giddy to call against us.
Ya, that is just a miss, not a bias.

Though it is tough to stop the conspiracy wheels from turning when we get burnt 2 games in a row.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Well at least coaches have the abilty to scrutinize plays that were literally millimeters offsides, you know, a distance the human eye can’t pick up in real time. That’s what’s important. I mean who really cares if there is an extra 200 pound behemoth skating around for one team (sometimes even two for that matter). Not like that actually has any bearing on the game.

I mean we love the sport but the NHL is f***ing amateur hour at its finest. Constantly tweaking the game. Piss poor officiating. Clockwork lockouts. Bogus standings. Gimmicks being used to decide games. Bull shit disciplinary system. No consistency with the review system. The list goes on. I won’t be that guy and say everything was better 30 years ago, but I absolutely despise some of the things they’ve done to the game through the years.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm just not so sure our guys knew until the video guys noticed it after the ensuing faceoff. I understand Hynes taking he high road but you have to hold these guys accountable and at least have a huddle with the ref at the bench and voice your displeasure over their f***ing incompetence.

Just to aggravate everyone further that one PP goal was the result of Gibbons going four corners and the puck hitting the linesman right onto a Cap's stick instead of our D man. We never cleared the zone and they scored after we lost a faceoff.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I think the NFL is worse but the NHL is right there behind them.
I don't get it, how are commercial breaks that hard to officiate? ;)

Well at least coaches have the abilty to scrutinize plays that were literally millimeters offsides, you know, a distance the human eye can’t pick up in real time. That’s what’s important. I mean who really cares if there is an extra 200 pound behemoth skating around for one team (sometimes even two for that matter). Not like that actually has any bearing on the game.

I mean we love the sport but the NHL is ****ing amateur hour at its finest. Constantly tweaking the game. Piss poor officiating. Clockwork lockouts. Bogus standings. Gimmicks being used to decide games. Bull **** disciplinary system. No consistency with the review system. The list goes on. I won’t be that guy and say everything was better 30 years ago, but I absolutely despise some of the things they’ve done to the game through the years.
I usually try to find a neutral way to look at things but I have to agree with you. So many things done wrong and especially the constant tweaking and gimmicks are annoying. In the next 5-10 years the OT system will be renewed yet again. Another lockout will be in place. The officiating is inconsistent, but I think that has a lot to do with the fast nature of the sport. And lets not forget the Olympics debacle going on, although that is not solely on the NHL.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I'm just hoping for the makeup calls to come on Tuesday. When was the last time the Devils beat the Blues in St Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad