Pre-Game Talk: Let's Pageau For It

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Weird. Well hopefully he starts more from here on out.

Tippett stated at the start of the season that he was going to go Smith 2 game, Koskinen 2 games and has only veered off that course for back-to-back games thus far. The concern is the belief that Koskinen struggled in the second half last year because we played him too much, which he hasn’t been used to yet. Way I see it, if we have to endure a streaky/inconsistent Smith who usually gives you one decent-to-good game and one dicey-to-bad game, in order to keep Koskinen from getting exhausted, I’m ok with that, since he seems to give us good-to great games consistently. Once Kosko, goalie coach, and Tipp are comfortable with him taking on more of the load, then hopefully they move to a Kosko 3 games, Smith 1 game (with exceptions for back-to-back games, or a slide from Kosko).

I do worry about Smith being backup and not playing consistently, since I think he tends to play better in his second of two games, and I attribute that to his personality of wanting to be involved as much as possible (which is how he plays). Even a 3-2 split could see benefits of having more Kosko, but not limiting Smith to only the odd cold start.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Tippett stated at the start of the season that he was going to go Smith 2 game, Koskinen 2 games and has only veered off that course for back-to-back games thus far. The concern is the belief that Koskinen struggled in the second half last year because we played him too much, which he hasn’t been used to yet. Way I see it, if we have to endure a streaky/inconsistent Smith who usually gives you one decent-to-good game and one dicey-to-bad game, in order to keep Koskinen from getting exhausted, I’m ok with that, since he seems to give us good-to great games consistently. Once Kosko, goalie coach, and Tipp are comfortable with him taking on more of the load, then hopefully they move to a Kosko 3 games, Smith 1 game (with exceptions for back-to-back games, or a slide from Kosko).

I do worry about Smith being backup and not playing consistently, since I think he tends to play better in his second of two games, and I attribute that to his personality of wanting to be involved as much as possible (which is how he plays). Even a 3-2 split could see benefits of having more Kosko, but not limiting Smith to only the odd cold start.
Well said. It’s also hard not to give smith time after his playoff run last year. Was only 5 games but he was extremely solid. In fact he was the only reason flames had chance in most of those games. He is capable of having fantastic games but as you mentioned he is inconsistent. Maybe he would do better as a backup ? Some goalies shine in that role. Look at Halak in Boston. He looks like an all star right now. But when he is the lone starter it’s a different story.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
giphy.gif

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Koskinen has started less games but played more as he has came in relief of Smith twice. Koski should be starting more but tippet knows best...

Tippets seems like a likeable guy! But every coach favorites some players in the their team. Tippet has a old relation to Smith since his Arizona years and has in my view given Smith way to many chances to get his down spiral career on track.

Dont buy that talk , that Koski doesnt is fit to play more, thats only a coach way to defend his decisions to let Smith starts 50-50 or even more then Koski.

Every one saw it and the stats confirms it, that Koski is way better and need 70-30 starts atleast.

I dont want to give away points early on when we all know its get way harder after deadline to win games,when teams gearing up and many teams fighting for a playoff spot.

Tippet let friendship come in the way, luckily he doesnt take this experiment any further, it seems!

Need to win against a btb playing bottom feeder, shouldnt even be a close one!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Tippets seems like a likeable guy! But every coach favorites some players in the their team. Tippet has a old relation to Smith since his Arizona years and has in my view given Smith way to many chances to get his down spiral career on track.

Dont buy that talk , that Koski doesnt is fit to play more, thats only a coach way to defend his decisions to let Smith starts 50-50 or even more then Koski.

Every one saw it and the stats confirms it, that Koski is way better and need 70-30 starts atleast.

I dont want to give away points early on when we all know its get way harder after deadline to win games,when teams gearing up and many teams fighting for a playoff spot.

Tippet let friendship come in the way, luckily he doesnt take this experiment any further, it seems!

Need to win against a btb playing bottom feeder, shouldnt even be a close one!

"I treat all my players with respect.....but players play hockey....and right now you're not a player.....you're a piece of shit"

-me as Dave Tippett

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Tippet has a old relation to Smith since his Arizona years and has in my view given Smith way to many chances to get his down spiral career on track.
They actually go all the way back to Dallas. Tippett had Smith his rookie season.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm going to Tweet about this in 12 years you sonofabitch!

douchey internet personas are only 2-3 years from being persecuted. tops.

at which point i will just admit.

yes. i enjoy being a douche sometimes. i try to make it pretty ambiguous so as not to end up punching people in the face.

caveat that im a thirty something nobody that doesnt get paid to deal with the fallback from this celebrity-social media incestuous f***fest.

caveat #2....i generally agree with normal principles aka human rights. (caveat #3 the word generally does not imply inherit racism or homophobia but may disregard the rights of Toronto media, douchebag celebrities and douchebag internet personas)

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Farming likes with some pregame vids boys!

Made me laugh while watching these back to back, in both videos there's an injury question and Tippett goes over the injuries and then says, "Who else?..."

"Benning."

LOL, I’ll consult with you after, Jimmy! (Followed by a shit eating grin).
Gold, Jerry, Gold I say :)
Love the whole Tip!

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
*****ey internet personas are only 2-3 years from being persecuted. tops.

at which point i will just admit.

yes. i enjoy being a *****e sometimes. i try to make it pretty ambiguous so as not to end up punching people in the face.

caveat that im a thirty something nobody that doesnt get paid to deal with the fallback from this celebrity-social media incestuous ****fest.

caveat #2....i generally agree with normal principles aka human rights. (caveat #3 the word generally does not imply inherit racism or homophobia but may disregard the rights of Toronto media, *****ebag celebrities and *****ebag internet personas)

The only word you capitalized was Toronto.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
They actually go all the way back to Dallas. Tippett had Smith his rookie season.

Wasnt aware of that! Even more understandable that he wanted to give Smith every chance to get his career on track!

We cant know exactly how many points we wasted playing Smith way to much, he also stole us 1 or 2 games!

Seems Tippet arent dragging this 50-50 split any further and gives unofficially the first spade to Koski.

How much Koski should play is entire up how much he feels he can play without getting worn out, a dialog between him and the coaches. He perhaps arent Talbot and wants to play 82 games, but 7 of 10 games depending on the schedule is the minimum for me!

I think the whole team will be relieved having Koski as a clear no 1 , they play alot more confident with Koski in the net, its not like day and night but even people with little experience of icehockey can see it!

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
After tonight's game, the next 9 Oilers games start at 7pm or earlier. Thank f***ing God.

Edit: Also, Between Christmas and the All-Star break they only have 1 game that starts after 7pm - An 8pm Saturday start against the Phlegms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mav3rick07

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
7:30 PM start because the Leafs game doesn’t end until 7:30 and as we all know the entire world revolves around Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad