OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Eh, if you're looking at end results (i.e., not at the time), the 05 Cardinals had 32 Gold Gloves, 54 All Star appearances, 9 CY Young finalists, 14 Silver Sluggers, 2 Rookies of the Year (didn't look at finalists), and 4 MVPs (again, didn't look at finalists). I didn't count the number of rings but it's more than 7.

Admittedly I'm cheating a little because Waino was hurt much of the year, but even still.

Of course, I imagine that this team has a handful of people (O'Neill, Bader, Carlson, Arenado, Edman, Goldschmidt, Flaherty) who will continue to win awards
That 05 team had three (soon to be) HOFs on the roster including LaRussa.

I see about the same amount for the 2021 team.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Maybe Molina. Who else on 21 team?
Well Arenado for one. He’s well on his way to a HOF bid.

I doubt it, but Goldschmidt has an impressive resume. I don’t think it’s HOF impressive, but he might get in if he has a few more seasons like the latest one.

Waino firmly belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I doubt it, but Goldschmidt has an impressive resume. I don’t think it’s HOF impressive, but he might get in if he has a few more seasons like the latest one.

Maybe I'm not correlated anymore, but they all 3 seem like Hall of Very Good.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Waino should have a cy young or two that would make him a better candidate but I agree.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Arenado just has to age decently to get into the HOF, but it's no guarantee that it happens. If he has a few more seasons like this past one, and then starts a further decline, I don't think he'd be a clear cut HOF member.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Especially when you consider folks will discounted his Colorado numbers.
This "Coors Effect" has been called into question recently due to people realizing that Coors Field is a double edged sword. Sure, while in Coors, the lack of air resistance will cause balls to travel longer and less air resistance will decrease the amount of movement (whether horizontal or vertical) on a baseball once pitched. The latter is a theoretical reason why breaking ball pitchers typically have less success than fast ball pitchers while playing in Colorado.

The issue is that Coors Field is a complete outlier in terms of altitude. The next closest stadium in terms of altitude is Arizona at a full 4000 ft lower than Coors. For all other teams, the difference between a home stadium and away stadium is fairly consistent. For the Rockies, it's drastic, and is the prevailing theory as to why home-and-away splits are so sever. I'm not discounting the benefit playing in Coors has on a player's stat line, but the effect of Coors isn't a complete benefit. This could be a reason DJ LeMahiue absolutely took off in New York, as he was given more consistent conditions game-to-game. In fact, looking at wRC for players that leave Colorado, it isn't uncommon for players to perform better than while they were in a Rockies uniform.

Does this guarantee Nolan Arenado will be a HoF player? No, of course not. But with baseball voters becoming more reliant on analytics and metrics to determine award winners, I wouldn't be surprised to see many more Rockies players get looked at for the HoF.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This "Coors Effect" has been called into question recently due to people realizing that Coors Field is a double edged sword. Sure, while in Coors, the lack of air resistance will cause balls to travel longer and less air resistance will decrease the amount of movement (whether horizontal or vertical) on a baseball once pitched. The latter is a theoretical reason why breaking ball pitchers typically have less success than fast ball pitchers while playing in Colorado.

The issue is that Coors Field is a complete outlier in terms of altitude. The next closest stadium in terms of altitude is Arizona at a full 4000 ft lower than Coors. For all other teams, the difference between a home stadium and away stadium is fairly consistent. For the Rockies, it's drastic, and is the prevailing theory as to why home-and-away splits are so sever. I'm not discounting the benefit playing in Coors has on a player's stat line, but the effect of Coors isn't a complete benefit. This could be a reason DJ LeMahiue absolutely took off in New York, as he was given more consistent conditions game-to-game. In fact, looking at wRC for players that leave Colorado, it isn't uncommon for players to perform better than while they were in a Rockies uniform.

Does this guarantee Nolan Arenado will be a HoF player? No, of course not. But with baseball voters becoming more reliant on analytics and metrics to determine award winners, I wouldn't be surprised to see many more Rockies players get looked at for the HoF.
Shouldn’t helton get in then?

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
If Rosen didn’t get any traction, I’m dubious that Nolan will.
Nolan’s career is already significantly better and he’s still playing. Odd comp imo. He’s widely regarded as the best third baseman in baseball and has been for a while

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Matz is a very Cardinals signing. Should be fine with his sinker and his ability to throw strikes. Would’ve preferred Stroman or Scherzer, but if this allows us to address the bullpen and SS positions more effectively then it’s great. If they sit on this as their only significant move then it’s pretty bad.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Matz is a very Cardinals signing. Should be fine with his sinker and his ability to throw strikes. Would’ve preferred Stroman or Scherzer, but if this allows us to address the bullpen and SS positions more effectively then it’s great. If they sit on this as their only significant move then it’s pretty bad.
I'm willing to bet money they don't di anything with SS after their comments about DeJong and Sosa this offseason.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
guy has never come close to pitching 200 innings, so another classic dumpster dive move for the redbirds.

the move is the classic meh move. you need people like this on your team for sure but this better not be the peak signing for them. 2022 is the year to go full out and win it for Yadi and Waino.

for the record, i dont think a move at SS is the play either. I'd like to see DeJong get a full spring in and rebound as I think he can. but there is zero reason we should be dumpster diving on pitching when they finally got carpenter and martinez off the salary books.

Reactions: Fez Whatley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad