HF Habs: Let's Get Kraken: Seattle Expansion Draft Roster Thread

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
My reaction to the KRAKEN’s official draft lineup:

tenor.gif

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Okay, quick draft. Too lazy to pinpoint the players being flipped and the contract signings (maybe I'll come back later), but here are the choices. Seattle is probably going to pick a couple more minor leaguers to reduce cap hit and sign free agents instead but I went with more NHLers for this simulation.

Total cap hit: 74.6 million

F (15)
Tarasenko (STL)
Van Riemsdyk (PHI)
Domi (CLB)
Gourde (TB)
Donskoi (COL)

Tierney (OTT)
Kerfoot (TOR)
Jarnkrok (NAS)
Wagner (LA)
Fischer (ARI)
Nietto (SJ)
Blackwell (NYR)
Aston-Reese (PIT)
Benson (EDM)
Bellows (NYI)

D (12)
Giordano (CAL)
DeMelo (WPG)
Soucy (MIN)
Kulak (MTL)
Stetcher (DET)
Fleury (ANA)
Lauzon (BOS)
Borgen (BUF)

Sissons (NJ)
Bean (CAR)
Gleason (DAL)
Zadorov (CHI)

G (3)
Holtby (VAN)
Driedger (FLO)
Vanecek (WSH)

11 picks right. Huh.

I knew he would pick more border liner NHLers than I did to keep cap hit low, but really didn't think they'd do it as much. Their D corps is decent and their goalies have talent although inexperienced. It's the forwards I find a bit strange. We'll see what they do next - still have time.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
G: Holtby, Driedger, Kahkonen, Vanecek
D: Giodarno, Miller, Oleksiak, Hagg, Dermott, Larsson, Lauzon, Djoos, Dunn, DeMelo
C: Johansen, Domi, Tierney, Blackwell, Gambrell, Gaudette
W: Niederreiter, Bailey, Voracek, Donskoi, Johnson, Fischer, Joseph, Aston-Reese, Kahun, Athanasiou

8 out of 30 :laugh:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I agree.

But i see the reason why he was asking to be over paid because it went against his plans so he wanted teams to make it worthwhile.

Seeing how he drafted i get it. No short cut.
Plus with opening of FA as the season nears closer teams are going to get desperate. He os sitting pretty with 30m in cap space.

Habs are too once Price and Weber go on LTIR
My point is in some cases it didn't go against his plans. I'm fairly certain he could have extracted something from Carolina to avoid Jake Bean which he did anyway. He could have extracted something from us to avoid Allen but instead forced the issue and did not get Allen anyway. Probably could have extracted a few mid round picks and still got the players he wanted for the most part.

Yeah he will be able to use that cap space. It just seems that with the type of team he picked accumulating draft picks will be key. That said he will get some for trading some of the guys he picked especially on D

Reactions: abo9

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
My point is in some cases it didn't go against his plans. I'm fairly certain he could have extracted something from Carolina to avoid Jake Bean which he did anyway. He could have extracted something from us to avoid Allen but instead forced the issue and did not get Allen anyway. Probably could have extracted a few mid round picks and still got the players he wanted for the most part.

Yeah he will be able to use that cap space. It just seems that with the type of team he picked accumulating draft picks will be key. That said he will get some for trading some of the guys he picked especially on D
He was dealing with Bergevin though.
Imagine spending hours of mock draft time and thinking you will get one of (Evans, Chiarot, Allen)
Francis says how important the cap is. Bergevin exposes Price and Weber and protects all the players they had their eyes on.

Bergy didn't call any bluffs, he simply did his homework he knew what they wanted and what they wouldn't want. He gave them nothing. Mark of a great GM in a world where our GMs are required to speak french we are so lucky to have the best GM that happens to fit that criteria.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Dadonov - Gourde - Voracek
Zucker - Domi - Bailey
McCann - Appleton - Jarnkrok
Ricthie - Compher - Bastin

Giordano - Dunn

Bean- Schultz
H. Fleury - C. Fleury

Driedger

Khakohonen
Kinkaid

extras: Gambrel', Fischer, Gaudette, Benson, Mascherin, Lind, Borgen, Cholowski, Clague

So 13/30, not pretty proud to have hotten most of the D except UFA signatures.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Dadonov - Gourde - Voracek
Zucker - Domi - Bailey
McCann - Appleton - Jarnkrok
Ricthie - Compher - Bastin

Giordano - Dunn

Bean- Schultz
H. Fleury - C. Fleury

Driedger

Khakohonen
Kinkaid

extras: Gambrel', Fischer, Gaudette, Benson, Mascherin, Lind, Borgen, Cholowski, Clague

So 13/30, not pretty proud to have hotten most of the D except UFA signatures.

That's the best one, I think.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I went young where I could:

Namestnikov -- Gourde -- Voracek
Jarnkrok -- McCann -- Donskoi
Bellows -- Tierney -- A. Wagner
Aston-Reese -- Stenlund -- McEwen

Extras: Khaira, Gauthier, Pitlick

Dunn -- Fleury
Zadorov -- Bean
Lauzon -- Simek/Borgen

Extras: Giordano (flipped), DeMelo (flipped), Sekera (flipped)

Price
Driedger
Kahkonen

Extra: Vanacek (flipped), Wedgewood (AHL)

I chose Dunn over Tarasenko.

Lots of teams with a lot of garbage.

According to Cap Friendly projected cap is:

$61.7m with $19.8m in cap space; however, I have to sign Dunn, Bean, Zadorov & Borgen on D. Aston-Reese, Bellows & Khaira upfront & Driedger in goal.

I actually got 12 on my first try.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That's the best one, I think.

With the reaction to their rosters im not sure if I'd be happy or not :laugh:

That said, I think it highlights just how little information we have compared to them, considering that most of us built what we thought would be the "best" starting lineup from those picks.

I'm especially curious with the Flyers and Canes picks since they're not popular at all, but the GM and HC would know those players very well...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
My new team:

Neiderreiter -- Gourde -- Voracek
Bailey -- Domi -- Tarasenko
Kerfoot -- Danault -- Donskoi
Tanev -- Tierney -- Jarnkrok

Extras: Namestnikov, A. Wagner, MacEwen, Gauthier, Khaira, Bunting

Giordano -- Oleksiak
Soucy -- Fleury
Simek -- Zadorov

Extras: Lauzon, Borgen, DeMelo

Driedger
Vanacek
Wedgewood (AHL)

Cap: $76,041,666m

However, I have to sign Danault (UFA), Khaira & Bunting at forward, Oleksiak (UFA), Borgen & Zadorov on D & Driedger (UFA).

Probably don't have enough cap room for all that. Would need to flip Giordano and DeMelo without retention.

11 on my 2nd to add Price.

Reactions: abo9

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With the reaction to their rosters im not sure if I'd be happy or not :laugh:

That said, I think it highlights just how little information we have compared to them, considering that most of us built what we thought would be the "best" starting lineup from those picks.

I'm especially curious with the Flyers and Canes picks since they're not popular at all, but the GM and HC would know those players very well...

Yes, we actually tried to make the team good with multiple top 6 forwards, but still leaving a good $8m-$10m in cap space.

Who knew they going for $30m? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad