Post-Game Talk: Lets build Glass a statue, Glass - 3, Glass' impenetrable nature - 1

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bh8Ke-7CYAEMf2y.jpg:large

TheGoldenBoy

Apr 2, 2013
Couldn't catch the game :( but glad we won plus 3 Sid points :)

Could someone enlighten me on why Glass was the most interesting man of the match?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Couldn't catch the game :( but glad we won plus 3 Sid points :)

Could someone enlighten me on why Glass was the most interesting man of the match?

He blocked 3 or 4 of Weber's point-blank shots without a stick when Nashville had a PP. It was impressive, but of course Steigy had to try and make it into something legendary when at the end of the day, it's Glass' job.

*Edit

I should add that Glass was like 4 feet away from Shea when he was blocking those shots. He wasn't 20 feet out where those shots could really hurt him. But it was a good showing from Glass nonetheless. And also the missed empty-netter from Tanner from 5 feet out. Lol.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Was very busy yesterday, watched the game this morning before going to school. I know Kobase was on waivers but didnt get claimed, but why is he ****ing playing?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Was very busy yesterday, watched the game this morning before going to school. I know Kobase was on waivers but didnt get claimed, but why is he ****ing playing?

I haven't saved the smug Bylsma.jpg to my hdd because I hate it, but that would probably be the answer. :cry:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I recorded the game. I logged back on here to check on trades etc. before I got the chance to watch it. The way people were complaining I thought we lost. I watched the game and to my surprise we won. You really can't tell on this board. It's the same after a 3-1 win as it is after a 3-1 loss. :laugh:

+ To Glass for the blocks and the comedy of him vs. an empty net.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Cole, even if you somehow got him for around 4.5M, that means about 21M for your top four defensemen.

Add Sid, Geno, Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis,and there's almost another 31M.

Add Flower, Adams, Zatkoff, about 6M or so.

So, there's 58M.

13M left over for 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

Niskanen gets big money, and forget about Sid having anything beyond Dupuis (maybe Beau if we're lucky). And Geno and Neal? Well, they'll be back to playing short handed at even strength.

As long as you know the price to be paid for that decision. See the numbers above. Even at 4M, it will mean the forwards we have now will seem like heaven come next year.

Niskanen would be taking over Orpik's salary essentially, and the cap is supposed to shoot through the roof. We'll be fine.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I should add that Glass was like 4 feet away from Shea when he was blocking those shots. He wasn't 20 feet out where those shots could really hurt him. But it was a good showing from Glass nonetheless. And also the missed empty-netter from Tanner from 5 feet out. Lol.

Just a quick physics lesson. Actually the pucks are going the fastest the closer you get to the shot location. It is impossible for the puck to speed up in the air, but I have also heard this same mentality mentioned by PBP announcers too.

A puck is just as likely to injure you (probably more so) the closer you get to the shooter. The only thing that changes is your likelihood of getting your stick on it to block it or being able to take it in a favorable area.

take it in a favorable area.....:laugh:

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Playing Orpik with Maatta last night? Can you fine folks with the vest knowledge of the hockey elaborate on why it may have happened? Just trying something else out? Splitting Ollie and Nisk so that they can both be the offensive D-Man in their respective pairs?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Playing Orpik with Maatta last night? Can you fine folks with the vest knowledge of the hockey elaborate on why it may have happened? Just trying something else out? Splitting Ollie and Nisk so that they can both be the offensive D-Man in their respective pairs?

"Orpik and Despres didn't work. Despres' fault

Orpik and Scuderi didn't work. Scuderi's fault.

Orpik and Bortuzzo didn't work. Bortuzzo's fault.

Orpik and Engelland didn't work. Engelland's fault.

Well, it's down to Maatta and Niskanen, who is good enough to play with Brooks Orpik, our best defenseman?"

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
+ Gibbons: for all the praise Glass is getting for having pucks bounce off of him, no one took more punishment this game than Gibbons. He was giving up his body left & right to make plays and was getting plastered in the process. He easily could have had two points, but in both cases his effort was a combined 2 inches short of being goals.
+ Bort: the entire team is tougher to play against when he has games like this.
+ Glass: hopefully he priced himself out of Pittsburgh with that performance. Thanks for the empty net memories.

- Fleury: he has not looked good for 3 straight games. He was way more lucky than good last night with the posts & disallowed goal.
- Orpik: the Pens really, really, really missed the boat on trading him. I'd be surprised if a team would even offer future considerations at this point.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
crosby could very well lose another scoring title and itll be because of stupid decisions like we saw tonight which featured glass out there protecting the lead. sid will probably have missed out on 10 points by the end of the year due to nonsensical coaching decisions.

uhh Crosby is leading by 14 points. He's going to win :laugh:

Glass shouldn't be out there at the end of the game, but it has nothing to do with Crosby and empty net goals.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
He blocked 3 or 4 of Weber's point-blank shots without a stick when Nashville had a PP. It was impressive, but of course Steigy had to try and make it into something legendary when at the end of the day, it's Glass' job.

*Edit

..Um, wait..how exactly do the shots hurt less from 4 feet away than 20?....

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Went to the game last night. First period + had the feel of an October game. Other than the obvious - 87/71/18 being the best offensive players on the ice by a wide margin; Adams probably the slowest player in the league; Glass' bipolar plays - couple things stood out -

Gibbons has good hockey sense, plays hard, did a lot of things well - and all were negated by getting easily rubbed out I don't know how many times because of his size.

Pens lucky this was Rinne's first game back. He didn't look incredibly sharp in warm-ups - and looked like he would have wanted first two goals back.

If we played Nashville more often, we might have less injuries - other than the Bort fight, that was one of the least physical March games I've seen. I'm also confident that if we meet them in the SCF, we'll win.:sarcasm:

As far as the D went, I thought Olli had a rough first half of the game. If he can put on 15 o so pounds of muscle in the next year or two, the guy will be an absolute stud. Orpik was OK in this game, but he's just not the skater and physical threat he used to be. 47 - was what I consider typical for him - kind of up and down - I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone later today. Same for Bort.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I'm beginning to think Glass is not that bad, it's just pairing him with Adams is.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
- Faceoffs: What is Dan Bylsma doing?

Sutter - 9/18 (50%) | Season Average 48.0%
Adams - 2/5 (40%) | Season Average 38.0%
Jokinen - 1/3 (33.3%) | Season Average 49.4%
Vitale - 1/1 (100%) |Season Average 62.6%
Malkin - 7/16 (44%) | Season Average 49.5%
Sid - 12/22 (55%) | Season Average 52.2%

Somebody tell me what the **** Dan Bylsma is thinking. I want to see Sid/Vitale heavy on faceoffs the entire game. Faceoffs are a huge part of the game. Run with the guys who continue to dominate. That is a righty/lefty. Go at it.

Did Vitale seriously only take 1 draw last night? He's one of the best faceoff guys in the NHL!

IIRC, that one faceoff was against Gaustad - and he won it.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Nisky might be pricing himself out of the Burgh with the season he's having. On pace for 50 points, 27 years old and the cap rising significantly. Any team that has lots of cap room next season and is in need of a PMD will be offering him at least 5mil per. Quite possibly more.

The Pens do, however, how something going for them - Niskanen loves it there, and has publicly stated that he hopes to re-sign with them. To me, that sounds like a guy who'd be willing to take less than market value to stay in a spot he loves.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
What I found humorous was that Crosby played a pretty pedestrian game, for his standards, and still should have had a five (5) assist night. He is pretty special eh?

He does it now in a calm, matter of fact way. Sure Malkin is more glamorous with his galloping rushes, but no one can better Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad