Post-Game Talk: Lets build Glass a statue, Glass - 3, Glass' impenetrable nature - 1

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+ Glass is a guy we could really utilize on the 4th line if he wasn't also with Adams/Kobasew/etc. Glass is a great 4th liner this year. The problem is the rest of the guys. I'd even go Glass w/ Vitale and whoever else as long as we have a good 3rd line. But.... the third line sucks equal ass.

+ Nisky: Contract year = bigggggg payday. He deserves it. Some great hockey right now.

- Faceoffs: What is Dan Bylsma doing?

Sutter - 9/18 (50%) | Season Average 48.0%
Adams - 2/5 (40%) | Season Average 38.0%
Jokinen - 1/3 (33.3%) | Season Average 49.4%
Vitale - 1/1 (100%) |Season Average 62.6%
Malkin - 7/16 (44%) | Season Average 49.5%
Sid - 12/22 (55%) | Season Average 52.2%

Somebody tell me what the **** Dan Bylsma is thinking. I want to see Sid/Vitale heavy on faceoffs the entire game. Faceoffs are a huge part of the game. Run with the guys who continue to dominate. That is a righty/lefty. Go at it.

- Sutter: Come on. I feel bad for him at this point. He's so weak and getting worse as the season rolls on. This just isn't the system for him. I know for a fact this guy has a lot more than what he's showing. Right now he's the definition of average. He is nothing we need on the Pens. I want #16 to pick it the **** up or get the hell out. He's playing ass hockey right now.

- System structure: Much of the same. Turnovers, no support on breaksouts/forechecking, lack of forechecking w/ a purpose, no stop/starting, forced passes. We beat a bad team and had trouble doing it. We looked bad.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
1890399_10152632458308765_1801822892_o.jpg

Crunch.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He should be around 4 million per season with around a 4-5 year term.

I'd go in at 3.5 for 5 years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What would you pay him in the offseason?

Cole, even if you somehow got him for around 4.5M, that means about 21M for your top four defensemen.

Add Sid, Geno, Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis,and there's almost another 31M.

Add Flower, Adams, Zatkoff, about 6M or so.

So, there's 58M.

13M left over for 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

Niskanen gets big money, and forget about Sid having anything beyond Dupuis (maybe Beau if we're lucky). And Geno and Neal? Well, they'll be back to playing short handed at even strength.

He should be around 4 million per season with around a 4-5 year term.

I'd go in at 3.5 for 5 years.

As long as you know the price to be paid for that decision. See the numbers above. Even at 4M, it will mean the forwards we have now will seem like heaven come next year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You know what Nisky adds that makes out powerplay tick... he doesn't try to be cute or use too much talent like #58 does. That guy just lights the ****ing puck up over and over again. THAT is what the powerplay needs. Letang's crazy skills - not so much. We already have that w/ Sid and Geno. Nisky is the type of shot we need at the top of that umbrella.

You put a guy who actually knows how to work the front of the net (something we've missed since Malone left) and our powerplay would be unstoppable.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Cole, even if you somehow got him for around 4.5M, that means about 21M for your top four defensemen.

Add Sid, Geno, Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis,and there's almost another 31M.

Add Flower, Adams, Zatkoff, about 6M or so.

So, there's 58M.

13M left over for 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

Niskanen gets big money, and forget about Sid having anything beyond Dupuis (maybe Beau if we're lucky). And Geno and Neal? Well, they'll be back to playing short handed at even strength.

As long as you know the price to be paid for that decision. See the numbers above. Even at 4M, it will mean the forwards we have now will seem like heaven come next year.

Thats why you move Letang. Completely not necessary on this team if Niskanen is here.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know what Nisky adds that makes out powerplay tick... he doesn't try to be cute or use too much talent like #58 does. That guy just lights the ****ing puck up over and over again. THAT is what the powerplay needs. Letang's crazy skills - not so much. We already have that w/ Sid and Geno. Nisky is the type of shot we need at the top of that umbrella.

You put a guy who actually knows how to work the front of the net (something we've missed since Malone left) and our powerplay would be unstoppable.

Not having that guy kills, because you need the goalie to be a split second behind following the play.

If you got a guy like that AND had a competent PP coach (one who stressed player movement to go along with the puck movement) . . . I shudder to think about it, because I know it won't happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Niskanen is getting signed for 4MM?

No way.

He's getting 5.5.

Link? :sarcasm:

Seriously, I think maybe he takes less, like 4.5M to stay here, but I wouldn't make that type of commitment without moving Letang.

EDIT: Shero would. I wouldn't.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

I wonder if there is a certain player who might be mentioned in any trade rumors who could fill the same role Malone did on the PP. . .

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Seriously, I think maybe he takes less, like 4.5M to stay here, but I wouldn't make that type of commitment without moving Letang.

no link, but the cap is going up and look at what ever other fool of a dman is getting. He's scoring, he leads the league in +/-, and he's been the Pens best dman. He would get 5.5 easy on the open market. Hell, Edmonton probably gives him more. Sather probably gives him 10M+. Who the **** knows. No way in hell $4MM happens, though.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Alright, even if we can't afford him, he's earned his pay check and he's a likeable guy. That's what I was getting at. Whenever I read how unlikeable the team can be, Niskanen definitely doesn't fit that bill.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The only way you can move Letang (assuming he comes back at some time ) is after he plays at least 50 games of quality D.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if there is a certain player who might be mentioned in any trade rumors who could fill the same role Malone did on the PP. . .

Actually, Kesler could, but I don't see Bylsma taking Kunitz off the top PP for that. ;)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They won't move Letang, I'm not sure if they could move Letang, but for that same reason they don't know even know when or if Letang will be playing again. So they need insurance for that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They won't move Letang, I'm not sure if they could move Letang, but for that same reason they don't know even know when or if Letang will be playing again. So they need insurance for that.

The price of that insurance will be Sid and Geno fighting it out for who gets Dupuis and who gets Beau and a bottom six as scary as it is now.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
no link, but the cap is going up and look at what ever other fool of a dman is getting. He's scoring, he leads the league in +/-, and he's been the Pens best dman. He would get 5.5 easy on the open market. Hell, Edmonton probably gives him more. Sather probably gives him 10M+. Who the **** knows. No way in hell $4MM happens, though.

All the more reason to ship Letang out.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Actually, Kesler could, but I don't see Bylsma taking Kunitz off the top PP for that. ;)

If Bylsma wouldn't throw Kesler in as a net front presence, this team would legitimately never win a Stanley Cup with him as coach again. It remains to be seen how little he values having traffic in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad