Let us Dream: Steven Stamkos to Toronto 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Stamkos average playoffs this year likely the only thing currently holding up finalizing a contract dollar figure as there is some doubt now in Stevie Y eyes that he is worth what Toews and Kane have earned via 3 Stanley Cups.

$10+ mil X 8 years is a lot of money for TB ownership to commit to long-term in their market.

That contract is nothing for MLSE to afford so I like the potential for a Leafs / Lightning earth scorching trade if Toronto believes this is a cornerstone piece to build around.

I'd also venture that the re-signing's they'll have coming up over the next couple of years has a hand in it also.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hoping to sign someone to a cap crippling deal, isn't the answer for this team. We have to draft and develop young players, and have the flexibility to work within the cap. This just isn't a great idea IMO, and in all probability Tampa signs him long term, well before he would get to UFA.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Full disclosure, bolts fan coming in peace. Was curious if you guys had a Stamkos thread and figured I'd say hello. :)

Maybe Leafs overpay him like they did with Babcock.

There was nothing Detroit could do, maybe we put Tampa in the same position.

Kucherov Johnson Palat
Drouin Fillpula Callahan

I know the thread's for laughs and fun, but on a more serious note there are only 3 teams in the NHL that can pay him top dollar. The leafs, the bolts, and I Coyotes. Anyone else would have to do some serious moves to get the kind of cap space needed.

With that said, a lot of people forget we have a MASSIVE tax advantage. That's why Callahan took over a million a year less here, because it equals out to the same money he wanted in NY.

He was injured, that's why his ice time was reduced.

Get rid of Kessel and want another similar version for more money lol.

Stamkos is a terrible center. He sucks at faceoffs, he isn't great defensively, but he is elite offensively. Sound familiar? He also just had one of his worse years ever.

He got pushed to W by lesser players because as I've said for a while he should be a scoring winger. On some strong Tampa teams and with him scoring some huge points he was close to an even +/- player and - some years.

12M longterm? With him regressing? Did anyone watch him last year? He was invisible most nights. You would forget he was playing and then he would score a point and disappear again.

Save the cap, we'll need it for our home grown talent. Unless stammer wants to take a small discount to play here like 9.5 M then no way.

I'd give him half a year before the fan base turns on him and tries running him out of town.

And naturally, I gotta defend my captain some. He just had the worst year ever and still put up 43 goals.

Most of you have played hockey, and if you've ever been seriously injured you know how long it takes to come back.

I don't think Stamkos will reach what he "could" have pre-broken leg, but I wouldn't doubt we'll still see a 70-75 goal season in his future at some point.

He just needs another Marty St. Louis on his wing to set him up.

On that note, good luck Leafs. Got a bunch of friend up in Toronto so it's always fun to play/cheer for ya when not playing ya.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Make%20him%20an%20offer%20-%20Godfather.jpg

Bernify

May 28, 2014
Trade Phaneuf to Tampa for scraps, make sure they don't have the cap room to sign him! :sarcasm:

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Threads like this really make it embarrassing to be a Leafs fan.

Please, guys, for the love of God, stop making it more of a source of shame than it already is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As much as I'd live Stamkos, given the salary cap, I don't think it makes sense to sign ANY player in the 10-12 million range. It just eats up way too much of the team's cap room

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Please, guys, for the love of God, stop making it more of a source of shame than it already is.

Whats so embarrassing about it? Nobody has outright said they think this will happen... its just a place to discuss how awesome it would be. Until he signs with Tampa, there is a possibility that he may become a Leaf (However slim that may be).

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org

In fairness, we made a Babcock thread, people said it was "embarrassing", and then he came here. So until he is signed anything is possible. Now take a chill pill Sir Buzzkillion.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The obvious benefit of getting a Stamkos level talent, is that it fills the key role and lets everyone else slot below or around. No first line C on this team for a long while, and it reduces the pressure for Marner or Nylander to be it right off the hop.

The optimal dream is using the cap space to sign a legit number one offensive player and number one D in the same off-season, while still having all the bonus assets coming in to fill up the system, while starting to graduate guys in a small handful at a time.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
It's definitely not impossible and we definitely have the highest chance outside the bolts to sign him to a contract.

He might think about testing out the market and think it over, we'll see.

best case scenario, we get another top 5 pick, draft our #1D in chrychurn(sp), sign stamkos and you pretty much have all the main pieces and will just need to develop, make some depth trades etc. and start competing for the cup within a season or two.

I think it comes down to whether or not he has that babcock mentality, yes we are not top contenders right now, but that allure of being the guy to bring a cup to Toronto is huge, Tampa not quite as much, but Tampa is obviously his draft team.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
With that said, a lot of people forget we have a MASSIVE tax advantage. That's why Callahan took over a million a year less here, because it equals out to the same money he wanted in NY.

Yep, people forget about the taxes these players pay. Tampa players pay one of the least amount of taxes, while Toronto is the polar opposite. I don't have the exact figures, but I believe the difference in tax is about 10%. So on an annual salary of 10+ million from both teams, Stamkos would actually make a million more in Tampa. Over a long term contract, that's almost $10 million.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
this could be pretty decent in a few years.

JVR - Stamkos - Nylander
???? - Marner - ?????

????? = Trade, Brown, Lespic, Brown, Kapp etc

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
What about next year:

JVR Stamkos Nylander
Matthews Marner Kapanen
Leivo Kadri Brown

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
we'll get one of them lol.

If not, then maybe the next big Toronto Boy Ufa available. That's what we are saving the cap space for.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Yep, people forget about the taxes these players pay. Tampa players pay one of the least amount of taxes, while Toronto is the polar opposite. I don't have the exact figures, but I believe the difference in tax is about 10%. So on an annual salary of 10+ million from both teams, Stamkos would actually make a million more in Tampa. Over a long term contract, that's almost $10 million.

I dont think this is the kind of issue that a big-name player worries about, a guy making 2,3,4 million and an uncertain future? yea probably, but a guy making 10m+ a year is not gonna worry about taxes when he wins a cup for his hometown team for the first time in 60 years(one can dream)

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Switch Marner and Matthews but yes please
I could see Stamkos on the wing. He isn't strong defensively while Nylander has the skillset to be a Datsyuk-like pivot.

A Marner-Mathews pivot can be one of the best first-line shutdown lines in the NHL. I would like to see a more grittier top liner as the third linemate, though.

I'd rather have Kaps on the scoring line and JVR traded instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad