Let us Dream: Steven Stamkos to Toronto 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLife*

Exactly, if not Stamkos, on to Tavares. If we build a good team, one of them will come here soon.

Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin, Strome, etc..

I already have my Tavares avatar ready for when Stamkos signs. :yo:

morrielly

Dec 4, 2012
toronto
Right before the centennial season too, imagine we have a decent season under babcock, win one of the three lotteries and go into our centennial season(50 years since we last won the cup too) with a core of stamkos, jvr, marner, nylander, rielly, chychrun etc.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
My issue with Stamkos is he is a Cy Young center. He scores more goals than assists. The players around him make him better more than he makes the players around him better. Stamkos will be a great goal scorer with a very strong supporting cast.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Maybe we can resign Phil in 2022 for a pittance - we'll need his veteran presence to calm our youngsters down.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
you guys are going to be very, very sad, when Yzerman extends him.

Dedicating a whole thread to him is so desperate and quite frankly, pathetic. There's no guarantee he even makes it all the way to UFA. How many good Ontario Boys and big name free agents have we hoped would come join us only for those hopes to be dashed?

Ya, here's an idea.

Why don't draft and develop our own Stamkos?

Maybe we can try to up our game and become more efficient at building a team like most other NHL clubs instead of being a scavenger.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Exactly, if not Stamkos, on to Tavares. If we build a good team, one of them will come here soon.

Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin, Strome, etc..

I already have my Tavares avatar ready for when Stamkos signs. :yo:

Geez, were going to be stacked with Tavares and Stamkos! Will we put them on the same line, or will spread the talent across two lines? Is it 2016 or 2017 they raise the cap to $100m - I forget?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Doesn't fit with the current plan that Shanahan has undertaken. The Leafs will try to draft and develop their own version of Stamkos not buy one.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Ya, here's an idea.

Why don't draft and develop our own Stamkos?

Maybe we can try to up our game and become more efficient at building a team like most other NHL clubs instead of being a scavenger.

Oh man!! Why did no one else think of that. Why you keeping that hidden little nugget of genius to your self?? All those Stamkos's that we've been passing over in these drafts all these years.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Am I the only one that thinks there's a 0% chance of Stamkos coming here? I get it, he's a good Ontario boy and all but he just made it to the SCF with a young team....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This thread will become null and void within the next few weeks after Stamkos who is currently in talks on a long-term contract extension with the Lightning is completed.

I believe the only way this dream comes true is if the Leafs and Lightning complete a trade if Stamkos contract talks go south. TB is never going to let Stamkos become a UFA and would deal him prior and his new team sign him long-term.

Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander and 1st in 2016 for Stamkos.

(or any combination of roster players and prospects not named Rielly and Marner).. So Leafs need to pony up trade assets if Stamkos realistically becomes a Leaf.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Kapanen, Harrington, Spaling, a double protected 1st and a third for Stamkos.

No need for a second or two contracts going the other way.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
you guys are going to be very, very sad, when Yzerman extends him.
Do you see anyone here adamantly defending their belief that Stamkos will sign here? Nope.

The only sad I see in the thread is from the usual mopes.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
People here are saying they would turn down signing Steven.. what a joke. He is a top 10 player in the league and someone you can build a team around. If we manage to sign him our lineup will be absolutly insane for a few years when the kids are still on cheap contracts. I do agree that it is a very slim chance, but the same was said about Babcock. If the opportunity is there the leafs should jump all over it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Get rid of Kessel and want another similar version for more money lol.

Stamkos is a terrible center. He sucks at faceoffs, he isn't great defensively, but he is elite offensively. Sound familiar? He also just had one of his worse years ever.

He got pushed to W by lesser players because as I've said for a while he should be a scoring winger. On some strong Tampa teams and with him scoring some huge points he was close to an even +/- player and - some years.

12M longterm? With him regressing? Did anyone watch him last year? He was invisible most nights. You would forget he was playing and then he would score a point and disappear again.

Save the cap, we'll need it for our home grown talent. Unless stammer wants to take a small discount to play here like 9.5 M then no way.

I'd give him half a year before the fan base turns on him and tries running him out of town.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Get rid of Kessel and want another similar version for more money lol.

Stamkos is a terrible center. He sucks at faceoffs, he isn't great defensively, but he is elite offensively. Sound familiar? He also just had one of his worse years ever.

He got pushed to W by lesser players because as I've said for a while he should be a scoring winger. On some strong Tampa teams and with him scoring some huge points he was close to an even +/- player and - some years.

12M longterm? With him regressing? Did anyone watch him last year? He was invisible most nights. You would forget he was playing and then he would score a point and disappear again.

Save the cap, we'll need it for our home grown talent. Unless stammer wants to take a small discount to play here like 9.5 M then no way.

I'd give him half a year before the fan base turns on him and tries running him out of town.

There is a lot of truth to what you're saying and it comes down to how much.

That said, Stamkos showed in the finals he was willing to play a physical game when he wasn't productive, so it's not like we're getting a Kessel clone.

Hypothetically, if you drop Stamkos into a supporting cast that looks like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Bracco, Kapanen, Brown, JVR, Kadri, that's going to be a nice team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stamkos average playoffs this year likely the only thing currently holding up finalizing a contract dollar figure as there is some doubt now in Stevie Y eyes that he is worth what Toews and Kane have earned via 3 Stanley Cups.

$10+ mil X 8 years is a lot of money for TB ownership to commit to long-term in their market.

That contract is nothing for MLSE to afford so I like the potential for a Leafs / Lightning earth scorching trade if Toronto believes this is a cornerstone piece to build around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad