Pre-Game Talk: Les Canadiens de Montreal vs Les Penguins de Pittsburgh 04/17/2013 7pm ROOT, TSN, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
srJR75I.jpg

:laugh: That is fantastic!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't mind beat the Habs and forcing them into the 4-seed, though. I think a Boston - Islanders/Rangers/Senators series will be harder on Boston than a Boston - Toronto series, and I think Toronto will give Montreal all it can handle (and maybe more)

I'm just letting whatever happen - happen. I have done the ole "pick your opponent thing" and it's backfired. :laugh:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's... not really a big game. I know it has that feel between #1 and #2, but it's not a big game at all. We are up 7 points and even in games. Even if we lose, it's not a big deal. We still have a commanding lead going into the final 6.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. I think it's important to play well since they're getting so close to the playoffs but a loss isn't a huge deal, especially considering who either will be or may be out of the line-up.

As far as teams in playoff mode for the last month, I'm glad the Pens haven't had to be. That's hard to sustain for a long period of time.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If there's one thing that I've learned in my 23 years as a Pens fan, it's that no matter how bad the Habs are playing they ALWAYS seem to give us a tough time. I expect more of the same in this game.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Any chance Toronto slips into the #2 seed? They have won two in a row while Montreal and Boston have lost two.

Then you could see Montreal and Boston play in the first round.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Pens are 19-2 in their last 21 games and 21-4 in their last 25. That's pretty amazing.

I'm trying to stay pessimistic, because me. But if you look at what the team was doing towards the end of the streak... if only they could have gotten MORE healthy instead of less healthy, they would have easily broken the streak and then some.

And I don't put much stock into the 6-1 trouncing they took from the Rangers. I knew as soon as they lost the Sabres game that the Rangers game would be a loss. There's no real good explanation for it, but that's how streaks go. I think this team is definitely closer to the one we saw winning 15-straight than the one that didn't show up against the Rangers.

So if Crosby, Neal and Martin can get 100% and back for like the last 2-3 games of the regular season... they should be the favorites in the East, and I won't care who they are matched up against in Round 1.

Any chance Toronto slips into the #2 seed? They have won two in a row while Montreal and Boston have lost two.

4 pts back with 6 games left and 2 teams to jump. Going to be very, very hard, but not impossible. Kinda hurts them that they don't play Boston again and that Boston and Montreal don't play each other again. They need us to win our next 2 :)

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway

Doubtful. Boston have a relativly easy schedule the rest of the way. Home against OTT, BUF, PIT, FLA and TBL and away against PHI and WSH. I have a hard time seeing them falling behind Toronto who're playing home against NYI and MTL, and away against WSH, OTT, TBL and FLA.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm trying to stay pessimistic, because me. But if you look at what the team was doing towards the end of the streak... if only they could have gotten MORE healthy instead of less healthy, they would have easily broken the streak and then some.

And I don't put much stock into the 6-1 trouncing they took from the Rangers. I knew as soon as they lost the Sabres game that the Rangers game would be a loss. There's no real good explanation for it, but that's how streaks go. I think this team is definitely closer to the one we saw winning 15-straight than the one that didn't show up against the Rangers.

So if Crosby, Neal and Martin can get 100% and back for like the last 2-3 games of the regular season... they should be the favorites in the East, and I won't care who they are matched up against in Round 1.

4 pts back with 6 games left and 2 teams to jump. Going to be very, very hard, but not impossible. Kinda hurts them that they don't play Boston again and that Boston and Montreal don't play each other again. They need us to win our next 2 :)

Agree with you on all points. I think injuries really killed that streak more than anything but I'm not too upset about it. It would have been a nice little historical footnote but it's really pretty meaningless to me overall.

As far as the Rangers, I think it's kind of interesting that everyone is suddenly so afraid of playing them in the post-season. The Pens have absolutely owned the Rangers for several seasons now and outside of a few awful let-down games after the streak ended - one of which they still managed to win in a shootout - I just don't see much to be afraid of. They could still beat the Pens in a 7 game series, sure, but my money would easily be on the Pens in that series and recent history would back that up. I think they're one of the better first round match-ups the Pens could draw, though I will never root for another particular match-up again. Learned my lesson on that one the hard way. :laugh:

I like the way the Pens have looked recently for the most part. Some of the wins have been uglier than we're used to seeing, but think about it - this team has been winning despite long stretches missing up to as many as 4 of Sid, Geno, Letang, Martin, and Neal. The fact that they're winning those games at all is impressive and I don't think there are too many other teams in the NHL that could do the same without several of their best players.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I wouldn't mind beat the Habs and forcing them into the 4-seed, though. I think a Boston - Islanders/Rangers/Senators series will be harder on Boston than a Boston - Toronto series, and I think Toronto will give Montreal all it can handle (and maybe more)

If the Habs continue like this don't even be surprised if they finish in 5th place and have to start on the road. I don't see them beating the Leafs to be honest, I think the Leafs are better built for the playoffs then the Habs. Leafs would win in 6

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I don't see the Bruins slipping that much, Montreal yes

Boston will win the division IMO and if the Habs continue to suck I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs finish in 4th and the Habs in 5th

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If there's one thing that I've learned in my 23 years as a Pens fan, it's that no matter how bad the Habs are playing they ALWAYS seem to give us a tough time. I expect more of the same in this game.

Us Pens fans in Montreal have seen it all, for me being a fan since the late 80's and seeing them always struggle against them is dam frustrating. I'll never ever forget the way they upset us in 97 with that pathetic team of Andy Moog in nets and Benoit Brunet up front:shakehead. From there on I knew we would just never have success against them. Even in the regular season every game seems hard, I remember going to the Forum the year after Roy was traded and Thibeault had like his best career game with 40+ saves in a 1-0 Habs win, just things like that that stick forever

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Malkin doesn't seem to be on either power-play unit, either. #Penguins
http://twitter.com/pgshelly/statuses/324187626930335744

STATEMENT: Following the tragedy in Boston, there will be heightened security measures for games & events at @CONSOLEnergyCtr:...
http://t.co/eUqkFADboi
http://twitter.com/penguins/statuses/324187707091873792

They already use one of those metal detector wands on everyone. What are they going to do, full body cavity searches?

Meh, better safe than sorry I guess. I do hope they plan to open the doors earlier in this case. The lines to get in can get pretty lengthy as it is.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
They already use one of those metal detector wands on everyone. What are they going to do, full body cavity searches?

Meh, better safe than sorry I guess. I do hope they plan to open the doors earlier in this case. The lines to get in can get pretty lengthy as it is.

I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I'm told video of the new searches will be released on DVD for 19.99...

lilschmied

Mar 13, 2007

Maybe moving to Steelers game type pat downs now :( Get ready to form boys and girls only lines!

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Maybe moving to Steelers game type pat downs now :( Get ready to form boys and girls only lines!

They're going to have to hire some people if that's the case because I have never seen a woman working the doors. Taking tickets or working as ushers yes, but not working security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad