Value of: Leon Draisaitl

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He's not a C right now, he's played C in the minors and was probably going to be one until Matthews was drafted and he was put on his wing. And now with Tavares here there's virtually no shot at him becoming one.

Right, so he isnt a C currently. Never the mind though, not a topic for this thread.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
It's already been proven very few players can play with McDavid. Drai is one of the few ones that can (Maroon, Nuge have proven to as well).

Playing with Mcdavid is easy..

Playing and not hindering mcdcvid is hard.

You need incredible speed/hockey iq/transition game.

Edmonton needs to find a 1a Winger asap to put up points with mcd

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
He isn't going to play a full season away from McDavid anytime soon because they have amazing chemistry and TMac changes lines up.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
There’s debate as to whether he really plays center, and there’s debate as to where he would rank if he was considered a center. I’d rank him just inside the top-31, but I could see arguments for putting all of these players ahead of him. The last 8 or so is where it becomes questionable, IMO. I would without question take the first 19 over him.

In no particular order:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Barkov
Mackinnon
Seguin
Stamkos
Tavares
Backstrom
Barzal
Getzlaf
Kuznetsov
Kopitar
Trochek
Marchessault
Eichel
Matthews
Bergeron
Scheifele

Schenn
O’Reilly
Toews
Monahan
Johansen
Staal
Carter
Karlsson
Giroux
Stastny
Thornton

Draisaitl’s contract makes thugs more problematic for his “value”. Many of those players have better value contracts. If Draisaitl can readily put up 70pts as a center this year, I think his value rises significantly.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I would without question take the first 19 over him.

In no particular order:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin

Barkov
Mackinnon

Seguin
Stamkos
Tavares
Backstrom
Barzal

Getzlaf
Kuznetsov
Trochek
Marchessault

Eichel
Matthews
Bergeron
Scheifele

-The pink are better than
-the underlined I don't trade Draisaitl for because of the age difference.
-the italics are equal to Draisaitl.
-the bonded are inferior to.

So there are only 5 pinks that I can honestly, unbiasedly say are better. I'm considering age here. 22 year old, size, faceoffs, playoffs etc. All factors considered.

Last edited:

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Draisaitl is so overrated its insane. He has proven he can be a very good nhl player with Mcdavid. He also has the potential with his size, hockey IQ, and work ethic he could be an awesome 1 center some day. Like people will always point out with players who play with superstars. He could be a warren young type, just a product of that superstar. He needs to prove it on his own 100% first, fair or not.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

So there are only 5 pinks that I can honestly, unbiased lyrics say are better. I'm considering age here. 22 year old, size, faceoffs, playoffs etc. All factors considered.

Schiefele and Ecihel are better than Drai. So that makes 7.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Schiefele and Ecihel are better than Drai. So that makes 7.

Hardly bud. Neither are as good defensively and in the dot Scheifele is 49th and Eichel 98th.
I might swap Draisaitl for Scheifele but only because he's on a value contract. Eichel? Not a chance I take him instead

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hardly bud. Neither are as good defensively and in the dot Scheifele is 49th and Eichel 98th.
I might swap Draisaitl for Scheifele but only because he's on a value contract. Eichel? Not a chance I take him instead

Oilers swap Drai for Schiefele in a second, dont kid yourself. Theres no 'might' there. The bigger problem would be convincing the Jets to do it.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers swap Drai for Schiefele in a second, dont kid yourself. Theres no 'might' there. The bigger problem would be convincing the Jets to do it.

No man, it's only the contract that's better.
I take an 8th overall faceoff guy over a 49th all day long. Most of the other parts of Draisaitl and Scheifele are the same. Those 2 are basically twins

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
8th overall in faceoffs %.
Sure boys, he's not a 1C...LOL
This is my favorite argument by Oilers fans to prove that Draisaitl is a center. An absolutely ridiculous argument ... he takes faceoffs.:facepalm:
There are so many situations where a winger will take the faceoff instead of the center. A truly hilarious argument.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why ask for a #1 D when LD hasn't proven he can be a #1 C for a whole season away from McDavid?

Because there is precisely zero reason - absolutely NONE at all - for us to move him for anything but, particularly the HF special of three or four lesser pieces, B prospects, and 2nd round/distant first round picks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Playing with Mcdavid is easy..

Playing and not hindering mcdcvid is hard.

You need incredible speed/hockey iq/transition game.

Edmonton needs to find a 1a Winger asap to put up points with mcd

Hopkins, Ryan Nugent.

Also you do not need speed at all to play with McDavid.

The guys who have gelled best with McDavid do this:

1) let him carry it in, he’s an automatic zone entry.

2) Once you’re in the zone, get open or get in front of the net.

3) If the puck is turned over, get it back.

4) Shoot when he passes to you.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There’s debate as to whether he really plays center, and there’s debate as to where he would rank if he was considered a center. I’d rank him just inside the top-31, but I could see arguments for putting all of these players ahead of him. The last 8 or so is where it becomes questionable, IMO. I would without question take the first 19 over him.

In no particular order:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Barkov
Mackinnon
Seguin
Stamkos
Tavares
Backstrom
Barzal
Getzlaf
Kuznetsov
Kopitar
Trochek
Marchessault
Eichel
Matthews
Bergeron
Scheifele

Schenn
O’Reilly
Toews
Monahan
Johansen
Staal
Carter
Karlsson
Giroux
Stastny
Thornton

Draisaitl’s contract makes thugs more problematic for his “value”. Many of those players have better value contracts. If Draisaitl can readily put up 70pts as a center this year, I think his value rises significantly.
Marchessault doesn't play center really and isn't better than Drai

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Everyone suggests that Draisaitl only produces because of McDavid. I've discussed in numerous threads about his even strength production away from McDavid still being top centre level despite playing with 3rd line quality wingers. But answer me this. If McDavid = automatic scoring then why have Lucic and Eberle's numbers gone down with McDavid?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

In no particular order:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Barkov
Mackinnon
Seguin
Stamkos
Tavares
Backstrom
Barzal
Getzlaf
Kuznetsov
Kopitar
Trochek
Marchessault
Eichel
Matthews
Bergeron
Scheifele

Schenn
O’Reilly
Toews
Monahan
Johansen
Staal
Carter
Karlsson
Giroux
Stastny
Thornton

If Draisaitl puts up 70 points as a centre this year with the wingers he's going to get (barring a huge breakout from Puljujarvi or Yamamoto) then he is undeniably a top 10-15 centre in the league.

Reactions: ivanlwan

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016

So there are only 5 pinks that I can honestly, unbiased lyrics say are better. I'm considering age here. 22 year old, size, faceoffs, playoffs etc. All factors considered.

He is better than those players, who put up better numbers than him, at the same role or better. But somehow Draisaitl is just better because you think so?

Maybe wait until he over performs those players at 2C role before putting him over proven 1Cs, holy shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad