Value of: Leon Draisaitl

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Seth Jones might be a top 10 D already. He's a franchise cornerstone. There's only one player on Edmonton the CBJ would move Jones for imo, and obviously Edmonton isn't doing that.

I think Werenski is s good comparable in terms of value.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
On a recent podcast we were discussing some players on Edmonton, and we couldn't pin point a value on Leon Draisaitl. Now let me note that the trade might not make sense for parties which is fine, but speaking on pure value, what's expected returns. Do keep in mind his contract as well.

Unfortunately he has no value because he plays with McDavid. :sarcasm:

A good RHD, with some offensive abilites. We may add something depending on the player coming back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, how does a team with 2 supposed #1 dmen in Parayko & Pietrangelo on it miss the playoffs?
How does a team with McDavid and Draisaitl miss the playoffs?

Answer: Hockey is a team game, and the whole can be greater, or less, than it's parts(see Las Vegas Knights)

Reactions: TrentonF

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Best Minnesota could do would be Dumba + Zucker/Coyle + 2018 1st but I'm sure Oilers fans wouldn't like it.
Daaamn.....

I might take that.
Zucker and Dumba are RFA's which is perfect to re-sign now long term before they get a few games in with McDavid. The 1st could be used to package up with 9OA to maybe grab a better prospect

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
More than a team would want to pay.

High end young RH PP wizard+ young replacement 2nd line C

Or high end young RH PP wizard+good center prospect+High first

Jan 21, 2018
The same reason that a team with 2 #1Cs can miss the playoffs.
The other 16 skaters + goalie

Or you know, because one of those "#1Cs" can't even carry a line by himself and so he has to play wing for the other #1C.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Or you know, because one of those "#1Cs" can't even carry a line by himself and so he has to play wing for the other #1C.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MC2D and ivanlwan

Jan 21, 2018
Not to mention he goes from Mcdavid to Caggiula and Lucic. His play and production barely even drops off and people still go around saying he’s dependent on Mcdavid. Goes to show how stupid some people are.

So by your logic, Drai is just as good playing with McDavid as he is with Lucic. I'm going to pretend like that isn't completely false, but even if it were true, why would the Oilers then keep a "#1C" like Drai on McDavid's wing instead of spreading out the offense?

Goes to show how stupid some people are.

Jan 21, 2018
Draisaitl >> Matthews. Drai never ghosted an entire playoff series before. Quite the opposite.

If you think Draisaitl is terrible at C, then you’re legally blind. Simple as that.

LOL yea I guess the Oilers are exempt from having bad playoffs since they never make it.

Was that supposed to be a shot at Toronto? You do realize having a bad playoffs is still 10000x better than not participating in the playoffs at all?

If you think Draisaitl >> Matthews, then you're legally blind. Simple as that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Daaamn.....

I might take that.
Zucker and Dumba are RFA's which is perfect to re-sign now long term before they get a few games in with McDavid. The 1st could be used to package up with 9OA to maybe grab a better prospect

Definitely stings a bit from our end, but the idea is to lock down a 23 year old #1C and plug the other holes later. Eriksson Ek can fall into a natural #2C spot without the pressure of producing #1C offense. We could still put together a very, very good top line of Nino/Draisaitl/Granlund.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
So by your logic, Drai is just as good playing with McDavid as he is with Lucic. I'm going to pretend like that isn't completely false, but even if it were true, why would the Oilers then keep a "#1C" like Drai on McDavid's wing instead of spreading out the offense?

Goes to show how stupid some people are.
I never said it didn’t tail off, did you even read my posts? I just said his production doesn’t fall off as much as people seem to think despite the quality of linemate drops significantly. The fact you didn’t understand just proves that you’re stupid lmfao. Oh well, I can tell by the replies in this post that you’re just an idiot.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I love Draisatl threads because every week another team asks about him. Oiler fans say we like him as 2nd line center but if a good right handed dman was available would think about it.

Then we get told he is a scrub who is actually a winger who is only good because Mcdavid even though Drai played 60% of the season without Mcdavid, still hit 70 points.

If he is a bum who leeches off mcdavid and is horribly overpaid why do people keep asking what it costs to acquire him?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I love Draisatl threads because every week another team asks about him. Oiler fans say we like him as 2nd line center but if a good right handed dman was available would think about it.

Then we get told he is a scrub who is actually a winger who is only good because Mcdavid even though Drai played 60% of the season without Mcdavid, still hit 70 points.

If he is a bum who leeches off mcdavid and is horribly overpaid why do people keep asking what it costs to acquire him?

how did the poster word it?
"goes to show how stupid people are"

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
LOL yea I guess the Oilers are exempt from having bad playoffs since they never make it.

Was that supposed to be a shot at Toronto? You do realize having a bad playoffs is still 10000x better than not participating in the playoffs at all?

If you think Draisaitl >> Matthews, then you're legally blind. Simple as that.

Matthews is the better player here.

Toronto had a better year than Edmonton by quite a bit. I'd rather make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round than not make it at all.

Lastly, I am getting a bit sick of particular posters bashing every Oiler player. Every thread. Nothing to add. Just insults and a few shaky beliefs.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Weird that he was so terrible at C that they glued him to McDavid's wing until they were so far out of a playoff spot that it didn't hurt to let him go back to C.

Your act was tired and lame a long time ago. Try bringing something to the discussion. Its much more fun.
As far as value Drai has everything a team would want in a #1 center. His value would be slightly below a #1 dman

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Devastating. Just devastating to the anti-Draisaitl faction largely centred in Ontario.

You know what’s weird? I can’t remember ever seeing a single western conference fan thinking Draisaitl is overrated. They see him, they watch him, they 100% understand just how good he is.

Draisaitl when he’s really going is Evgeni Malkin. He’s not at that level all the time, but that is absolutely how good he can be if he can somehow get there consistently.

He is not a comparable to Malkin when they are both “on”.

Maybe when Drai is on and Malkin is average.

He’s a good player.....but don’t be saying he’s as good as Malkin. That’s just homer talk.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He is not a comparable to Malkin when they are both “on”.

Maybe when Drai is on and Malkin is average.

He’s a good player.....but don’t be saying he’s as good as Malkin. That’s just homer talk.

Maybe read what I again and try another time.

Draisaitl is not merely ‘good’.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Matthews is the better player here.

Toronto had a better year than Edmonton by quite a bit. I'd rather make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round than not make it at all.

Lastly, I am getting a bit sick of particular posters bashing every Oiler player. Every thread. Nothing to add. Just insults and a few shaky beliefs.

Now you know what's it like, not fun is it? Take a gander at any Leaf thread and see who is doing the very same thing to us, you will find it is an Oiler fan majority. Maybe there should be peace talks?
Anyway in regards to the OP:

I can think of no player who is harder to value than Dra.

On one hand he has all the qualities you want in a C, especially out west but the McDavid factor makes it difficult to say what he really is. It's easy to say he gets a disproportionate share of his points with McD but on the flip side the Oil's wing depth is so dreadful he is not really playing with 2nd liners when he's not with McD so you have to think they hurt his production.

If he was their first line C and there was no McDavid what would he be?

I do not think he would be a PPG #1 C but I think a #1C who is 70 pts, big, and solid defensively still puts him around 15th-20th best C.

I cannot think of a time when a player with those qualities at that age was ever traded. I have to conclude his value is a #1 D under 25. How many guys meet that description?

Seth Jones is the best comparable I can see.

Reactions: TrentonF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad