Value of: Leon Draisaitl

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
On a recent podcast we were discussing some players on Edmonton, and we couldn't pin point a value on Leon Draisaitl. Now let me note that the trade might not make sense for parties which is fine, but speaking on pure value, what's expected returns. Do keep in mind his contract as well.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The price is irrelevant because it's more than any fanbase on HFboards is willing to watch their team pay.

Take Drai out and Hopkins is forced back to center and that's not what we want. We want Hopkins on McDavid's wing. It's the best insurance policy out there considering we can move Hopkins to center if Drai or McDavid ever go down to injury.

There's no realistic package that a team can offer for Drai that doesn't leave Edmonton with a new hole in the roster, so Edmonton is going to keep Drai, Hopkins and Mcdavid and work towards building around them.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Incredibly high. Too high for most teams to pay. Back to back 70+ point seasons at age 22, can play wing or centre effectively, has the ability to dominate games, is big and ridiculously strong while still being a good skater, good vision on the ice, improving 2 way game. Really, the only knock on him is that he has had the odd game where he looks unmotivated and in those games, he has been invisible. But I think you can counter that with how he can completely take over a game on his own, only a handful of players in the world can do that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Young emerging #1D is the only thing that makes any sense for Edmonton. The type that you sure as hell don't want to trade away, because it leaves a major hole on the Oilers.

Realistically I don't think he's going anywhere. The current makeup of McDavid with Nuge on LW and Drai at 2C is exactly how we want our top 6 built. It gives flexibility having 3 guys who can play top 6 centre. It gives us good building blocks to fill around with young talent that should emerge over the next year or two.

Yes, the defence remains an issue, but thats something they're just going to have to figure out through the draft/prospects.

Reactions: ivanlwan and Aerrol

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It would probably take something like Parayko + Wpg 1st + Thompson to even get the conversation started. Without plans for a replacement #2RHD, the Blues don't really have anything to offer with Parayko included.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think edm would take colton parayko straight up.
No they wouldn't. Chiarelli overpays sometimes, but Draisaitl is literally the definition of the type of player he likes. Big, strong, skilled, responsible two ways, and versatile.

If you notice, the guys he sells for cheap have been skilled, offensive minded, defensively irresponsible, soft forwards who play small. Not Draisaitl kind of players.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I like the "keep in mind his contract" comment. Like that matters at all when it comes to a 22 year old 70 point center. When he's 24-25 years old and Matthews, Marner, Laine, etc.. have new contracts this is just going to be a normal contract which NHL GM's know.

Contract has nothing to do with his value, and there's few teams who would be able to land him.

Reactions: Aerrol

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I like the "keep in mind his contract" comment. Like that matters at all when it comes to a 22 year old 70 point center. When he's 24-25 years old and Matthews, Marner, Laine, etc.. have new contracts this is just going to be a normal contract which NHL GM's know.

Contract has nothing to do with his value, and there's few teams who would be able to land him.
Yeah, his contract is completely reasonable.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
It would probably take something like Parayko + Wpg 1st + Thompson to even get the conversation started. Without plans for a replacement #2RHD, the Blues don't really have anything to offer with Parayko included.

I'd consider that move if there was an alternate plan for a Parayko replacement that wasn't outlandish. I'd love to get Draisaitl on the Blues. Guy is a stud.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think edm would take colton parayko straight up.
Nope. We wouldn't. Edmonton doesn't view their C position as strong as perhaps you view your D position. McD/RNH as our 1/2 punch isn't as strong as we need it... every western contender needs size at C and Drai gives us that. We don't create a hole that can't be filled.

Parayko is fantastic, but we don't have the assets (we'd part with) to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad