Leon Draisaitl

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Aaaaaand Bennett requires shoulder surgery. Where's all the Bennet supporters? I know there's lots out there. Kid is tiny and frail last thing we needed.

Bennett out at least 3 months and baertschi wants out both in one day.. They may have to start the rebuild over ;)

Calgary fans and media are talking like monahan is going to be there 1C this year despite his awful advanced stats last year, although I do think he's a very good player. Calgary radio has definitely been tampering the expectations on Gaudreau as of late, which is probably a good thing for him. Monahan and Johnny hockey have there work cut for them if the flames plan to average more then 2 goals a game. Gio and Brodie can only do so much..

In all seriousness though, I'd like Calgary to be competitive when we are, and actually give some meaning to the BoA. I long for the days when we were the best rivalry in hockey.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Aaaaaand Bennett requires shoulder surgery. Where's all the Bennet supporters? I know there's lots out there. Kid is tiny and frail last thing we needed.
I'm not a "Bennett supporter", but are you connecting his frame to his injury?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im starting to think Bennett wanted to be drafted high by the Oilers so during Junior started slamming his shoulder into the boards to damage it so he could be "one of the boys" like Hall, RNH and Klefbom and share shoulder problem stories

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I'll admit i was on the Sam Bennett bandwagon and preferred him over Leon. But nonetheless, I'm happy to see what leon brings and his capability. He adds a different dimension to our top 6.

Too bad for Bennet, I guess the Flames get to taste some of the medicine weve been having for soo long when it comes to our top prospects getting injured.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
not to distract too much from the thread's topic, but Reinhart hasn't looked all that great in Buffalo. I'm not sure about Ekblad, but it's looking like Draisaitl might be a great choice all around, and not just the best choice for our team specifically.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
not to distract too much from the thread's topic, but Reinhart hasn't looked all that great in Buffalo. I'm not sure about Ekblad, but it's looking like Draisaitl might be a great choice all around, and not just the best choice for our team specifically.

Has LD looked "all that great" in Edmonton?

I think he's looked decent but I don't think Leon has blown the world away. He should be sent back to junior but with the woeful center depth here for the Oilers he's made the team out of camp.

By all reports Bennett looked outstanding for the Flames in the limited time he played. Don't know about Ekblad in Florida.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not a "Bennett supporter", but are you connecting his frame to his injury?

Absolutely.

His frame and play style don't mesh and the way he plays simply isn't sustainable at this level. Clearly he was struggling to play the way he does even in junior. This one of my main arguments against taking him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

I think he's looked decent but I don't think Leon has blown the world away. He should be sent back to junior but with the woeful center depth here for the Oilers he's made the team out of camp.

By all reports Bennett looked outstanding for the Flames in the limited time he played. Don't know about Ekblad in Florida.

He had one good game in each of the rookie tournament, and the pre-season and was either partially invisible or okay in other games. Overall, he wasn't a world-beater by any means.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

He hasn't blown it away, but he's played relatively well enough to stick in the club. Has good chemistry with Yakupov, and he knows how to use his body well. Just needs work on his skating in my eyes.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Bennet played well but by no means would I say "outstanding". Ehlers had a much better camp for example.

Leon has played well with flashes of brilliance. Aka only slightly worse than Bennet. Not sure if it's true but supposedly a bunch of scouts labeled Leon NHL ready in his second last game. I still think Junior/Euro would be best for his development and it still may end up going that way but technically he is NHL ready. We figured that would be likely because of his size and a strong offseason.

Ekblad had a bad camp from what I've heard, as has Reinhart.

Bennet is scary skinny with a tiny frame. He may well end the best of the bunch, that has always been said, but the last thing the Oilers need is another flashy but frail forward in the big Western Conference.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Here's what's sold me on Draisaitl: he plays the game the right way.

The only reason he's ever looked invisible is because he doesn't gamble. If he wanted to get all the fans to love him he would have stepped out of position to score more goals, because ultimately who cares about playing responsibility in the preseason? Leon didn't have that attitude though, and I think that will show in the regular season. We can only really know for sure once he actually plays a few games when it counts but it's fairly clear to me.

Reinhart showed elite offensive skills but hasn't played a complete game. He's still a great player, and maybe the reason I don't appreciate what he's good at as much is because I'm too used to seeing it here on the Oilers and I find Leon's game refreshing.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Here's what's sold me on Draisaitl: he plays the game the right way.

The only reason he's ever looked invisible is because he doesn't gamble. If he wanted to get all the fans to love him he would have stepped out of position to score more goals, because ultimately who cares about playing responsibility in the preseason? Leon didn't have that attitude though, and I think that will show in the regular season. We can only really know for sure once he actually plays a few games when it counts but it's fairly clear to me.

Reinhart showed elite offensive skills but hasn't played a complete game. He's still a great player, and maybe the reason I don't appreciate what he's good at as much is because I'm too used to seeing it here on the Oilers and I find Leon's game refreshing.

I think Draisaitl just needs to shoot the puck, if he has the chance to instead of trying to make a pass. I believe he said that he felt that he also needs to shoot the puck as well. His playmaking is damn good which is obvious, just have to shoot the puck sometimes kid!

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I think Draisaitl just needs to shoot the puck, if he has the chance to instead of trying to make a pass. I believe he said that he felt that he also needs to shoot the puck as well. His playmaking is damn good which is obvious, just have to shoot the puck sometimes kid!

He had actually said in one of his pre-game interviews that he needed to start shooting more. He then went on to have his best game on the pre-season.

He needs to figure out his lanes a bit better, and get used to the speed before anything else IMO. His vision and play-making are already at an NHL level. I don't mind if his shooting takes the backseat, especially if he's paired up with Yakupov.

He'll get there.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Are we already deciding who is the best player to come out the 2014 draft? Reinhart hasn't looked good in camp. Bust.

We should also lay off the Flames.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Are we already deciding who is the best player to come out the 2014 draft? Reinhart hasn't looked good in camp. Bust.

We should also lay off the Flames.

No. They deserve it. I couldn't be happier Sven is turning into a bust. They have a higher than holy attitude about their mythical prospects and team.

Canuck fans are actually pretty smart and logical, I'm weirdly starting to like them

But Reinhart will still be the best from the draft, just one avg TC. Ekblad will be good, but not sure on him. Bennett would be good in the east but the Brulé comparisons may be correct. Already injured. Draisaitls skating needs to improve a lot to be elite

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad