Leon Draisaitl

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Supposedly he is 6'2.50/.75 now. Still growing.
:O

Even if turning 19 soon...with that vision and execution....

Salivating.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Although going back to Junior's may be the best thing for him, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can and can't accomplish in the main camp.

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is very mature sounding for an 18 year old kid.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm so excited if he's actually grown that much. Putting him over 6"2 is huge IMO. With the shape of his frame we could possibly see him balloon upto 220 pounds.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'm hoping for a little more speed than size TBH.

Right now he looks like a kid still growing, who is needing to constantly get used to his own expansion.

That makes me even more excited. Just knowing how difficult it was for me to go through my growth and play hockey...
If this is a kid not even used to his frame yet. Watch out when he stops growing and gets used to his body and gym forms it to match his game.

Its been 25 years since the oilers had a player close to this.

I bet there are alot of current Oilers looking forward to seeing him and testing him on their preseason lines.
Hes going to be very popular, with that vision and execution.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Right now he looks like a kid still growing, who is needing to constantly get used to his own expansion.

That makes me even more excited. Just knowing how difficult it was for me to go through my growth and play hockey...
If this is a kid not even used to his frame yet. Watch out when he stops growing and gets used to his body and gym forms it to match his game.

Its been 25 years since the oilers had a player close to this.

The last player close to what we're expected from LD is likely Arnott. Not necessarily the same skill sets, but the higher end of size and skill combination.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The last player close to what we're expected from LD is likely Arnott. Not necessarily the same skill sets, but the higher end of size and skill combination.

I think arnott was more of a scorer but i could see leon going to the right places on the ice to take passes...he just rarely got them and seemed surprised when finally someone passed to him. I know in junior his teammates gave him more passes and i suspect he will get the chances to finish when guys like yak and eberla and hall and even nuge and perron start test driving this kid.

There is alot of current oiler players just licking their chops right now.

From watching only a few of his junior games i know he will find the spaces and support the puck and go to the net.
I havent been this excited for a rookie since.... ?......................i cant remember ever being this excited actually. Size, skill, iq, vision, execution, and can manipulate defenses.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think Leon only makes sense as the soft minutes 3rd line C, otherwise send him back.

I'm very excited to see in preseason/training camp if his passing ability can click with Yakupov.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I think Leon only makes sense as the soft minutes 3rd line C, otherwise send him back.

I'm very excited to see in preseason/training camp if his passing ability can click with Yakupov.

Agreed. No harm in sending him back and letting him rip up the WHL. I'd rather hurt Arcobello's future career than LD's by throwing one of them into the wolves.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
There were parts of his game in Penticton that were very intriguing. Puck protection and creativity were on full display. He's also good at boxing out people while moving the puck to a teammate as a way of creating a pick play that isn't really interference (hope that description makes sense).

Where he was exposed was the skating and some of the decision making. Common issues for rookies, but some of the plays he tried to force through the middle of the ice were desperation plays that turned into odd man rushes the other way. He was quickly -2 in the game against the Jets prospects on Monday. I wouldn't be disappointed if he spent another year developing, wherever that may be (SEL???).

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can't wait until we roll our 4 scoring lines this season :sarcasm:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Draisaitl/Purcell
Perron/Gordon/Yakupov
Arcobello/Yakimov/Tkachev

Looks good though lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is there any source or article for that?

The Journal said it was "rumoured" to be 215 lbs and 6'2. Leon trained here in Edmonton so it makes sense that people around here would know his weight and that it would be different than the official weight before the summer. I don't think a formal re-weighing has taken place yet.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...the-cavalry-finally-arrives-its-gonna-be-big/

although wikipedia lists him at 191 cm, which is 6'3. I didn't see where Wikipedia referenced that from. Because they can be altered by normal people, it means the info can be faulty, but it also means it could be the most up to date.

Eirhead*

I'm really excited to see what he can do with some real wingers:
- Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, David Perron, Nail Yakupov, Benoit Pouliot, Teddy Purcell...
any combination of those 6 is exciting.

Personally, I'd like to see that top line of RNH, Hall & Eberle broken up anyway. Mix and match the scoring depth between the top 3 lines. Bring on the blender I say! So many new players, so many possibilities for good chemistry. If we could lock down the 3 pairs of defencemen more or less before the season starts, and have some consistency there, that's all I think we'll need. Prettttttty sure LD is going to make the team. A big, defensively responsible, playmaking center is exactly what the doctor ordered.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I think arnott was more of a scorer but i could see leon going to the right places on the ice to take passes...he just rarely got them and seemed surprised when finally someone passed to him. I know in junior his teammates gave him more passes and i suspect he will get the chances to finish when guys like yak and eberla and hall and even nuge and perron start test driving this kid.

There is alot of current oiler players just licking their chops right now.

From watching only a few of his junior games i know he will find the spaces and support the puck and go to the net.
I havent been this excited for a rookie since.... ?......................i cant remember ever being this excited actually. Size, skill, iq, vision, execution, and can manipulate defenses.

Yeah, I purely meant his size and skill combination. Arnott was definitely a different type of player.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think he gets his 9 games and will look decent but I think his skating, while not terrible, as well as his balance will be exposed by NHL players. Even in the rookie tournament he got knocked down quite easily at times.

I think the ideal situation would be him being sent back to junior and the team facilitating a trade somehow through the Oil Kings. Get him in the city where he will have access to team staff/facilities, they can keep an eye on him and work with him.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There is no such thing as soft minutes in this league. Like the rest of the team against teams letting the oilers play their game he will do well and look good. Against most teams especially with quality vet centers he will get owned.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I can't wait until we roll our 4 scoring lines this season :sarcasm:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Draisaitl/Purcell
Perron/Gordon/Yakupov
Arcobello/Yakimov/Tkachev

Looks good though lol

OMG. I SO want to see that now. LOL

Seriously, it would be hard to figure out who you'd want on the PP.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I am still excited for the kid but i also believe that leon cant be rushed. I want to see his faceoff ability among other things, this camp. Also i want to see his intensity and instincts of what to do on lost draws.

I am really excited about this camp but if he is terrible in the draws and too awkward to hold his footing...centre is such a key position that i can see him going back to junior. That being said last year even hall was getting knocked down...everyone does...all the time...including joe thornton.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
THe thing is, given our need a C, LD will be given 9 games. so lets not worry about it. Untill he has played some NHL games, lets just hang tight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad