Leon Draisaitl

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Absolutely.

His frame and play style don't mesh and the way he plays simply isn't sustainable at this level. Clearly he was struggling to play the way he does even in junior. This one of my main arguments against taking him.

He's not the first small player to play big and t be a fighter, he won't be the last and a very special few make it work in the NHL.

I was on the LD train the whole way but to write of SB's career because he has a nagging shoulder injury and some personal thoughts on his playing style/size ratio is silly

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's not the first small player to play big and t be a fighter, he won't be the last and a very special few make it work in the NHL.

I was on the LD train the whole way but to write of SB's career because he has a nagging shoulder injury and some personal thoughts on his playing style/size ratio is silly
Where did I write off his career? I'm just saying what I've been saying all along. He would be a horrible fit here.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Where did I write off his career? I'm just saying what I've been saying all along. He would be a horrible fit here.

Do you honestly believe that's true?

I know we didn't draft him but Bennett would be great here. He's passion, two-way game and high end skill is perfect on any team.

Back to LD though.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Feel bad for Bennett. He was my guy going into the draft, although I am thrilled with Leon. That's just rough to see so early in his career.

Oct 30, 2011
I think his season is pretty much dependent on how well Yakupov starts the year, and if they actually have some real chemistry. Eakins is giving Yakupov the defensive responsibility on that line. Draisaitl playing is almost as much about Yak's development, as it is about Draisaitl's.

This experiment could end very quickly if Yak doesn't produce out of the gate, or if the line is victimized.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I really hope HFB fans and all Oilers fans are patient with Draisaitl.

He's going to struggle like all young players, especially centers.

I wanted us to pick Ekblad and then Draisaitl, but it was a pretty weak draft overall and I'm not shocked none of the top 4 players have been dominant.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I really hope HFB fans and all Oilers fans are patient with Draisaitl.

He's going to struggle like all young players, especially centers.

I wanted us to pick Ekblad and then Draisaitl, but it was a pretty weak draft overall and I'm not shocked none of the top 4 players have been dominant.

I personally think Draisaitl will have a slower development curve but will be well worth it 3-4 years from now and could surprise and be a heck of a 1b. Saying that with his size and so far solid positioning I think he will tread water well so to say we he develops in the NHL. Just hope fans don't get on him the first couple years if he doesn't put up big numbers offence will come later naturally for him IMO.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I personally think Draisaitl will have a slower development curve but will be well worth it 3-4 years from now and could surprise and be a heck of a 1b. Saying that with his size and so far solid positioning I think he will tread water well so to say we he develops in the NHL. Just hope fans don't get on him the first couple years if he doesn't put up big numbers offence will come later naturally for him IMO.

He's actually shown to do exponentially better his second go around in every league he's played in so far. I'm not saying that it'll happen in the NHL, but if history tells us anything, he's a very quick learner.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

This. I feel the same way.

I liked LD because he plays the game as a centre...he doesnt just line up there and then shoot down the wing. LD is a responsible centre. I didnt even think the size was a big deal because the Oilers could wait. BUT....LD WAS THE TRUE RESPONSIBLE PLAY MAKING CENTRE....period

I dont care if Bennett succeeds or doesnt. I do though remember most bennet supporters bashing everything about LD, with no true knowledge of the guy...just like how Hall supporters had to turn into spyder monkeys and throw feces at Seguin predraft. Normally the LD and Seguin supporters weighed both options with academic evaluation and no feces throwing.
If anything i just want LD to be the best he can be and if he does i dont think it is necessary to make people eat crow...the Bennet supporters will be too happy knowing Drais is in an oilers jersey and winning us games for the many years to come and we can unite under the gorgeous oiler logo and not a name badge.
:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad