Leon Draisaitl should be sent back to juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not sure where I said it's clear to everyone...
I meant trade him while he still has perceived value around the league as a rookie after being drafted 3rd overall. I'm not sure how that could be misinterpreted.

The confusion comes from your absurd claim that Draisaitl will be a bust and that such knowledge is beyond what even NHL GMs know. Such hubris would make you an ideal fit with the current management group.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Aaron Ekblad 5G 14A 19PTS +8

I remember Bob Stauffer spouting off about how if the Oilers won the lottery and chose #1 that, in his mind, Drasaitl would be a strong consideration at that spot

imagine passing up on this stud? no wonder our whole management is a complete disaster :laugh:

Let's stick to criticizing what this management group has actually done instead of speculating what they may have done. It is not as if there isn't enough material.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Watching last game I don't think he's ever going to make it as a premier player in the NHL unless his skating improves dramatically. His skating stride is reminiscent of former flame Kevin Westgarth and no that is not anything close to a compliment.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Watching last game I don't think he's ever going to make it as a premier player in the NHL unless his skating improves dramatically. His skating stride is reminiscent of former flame Kevin Westgarth and no that is not anything close to a compliment.

Leon won fastest skater competition in the skills competition

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Leon seems fine. If they did send him back to Juniors, you'd be reminded of who he is. It is a rare player that looks dominant at that age in the NHL.

The problem is that I am not sure the coaches are helping him enough to justify being on the roster.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Leon seems fine. If they did send him back to Juniors, you'd be reminded of who he is. It is a rare player that looks dominant at that age in the NHL.

The problem is that I am not sure the coaches are helping him enough to justify being on the roster.

The biggest issue for me is this season is approaching historically bad and I would rather he not spend the rest of this season learning how bad things can get at the pro level.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The biggest issue for me is this season is approaching historically bad and I would rather he not spend the rest of this season learning how bad things can get at the pro level.

I agree. The Oilers should just use the "it's not you, it's me'' break up line and and send him back to the WHL while we figure out how to make things in Edmonton more positive for him and future young players next season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree. The Oilers should just use the "it's not you, it's me'' break up line and and send him back to the WHL while we figure out how to make things in Edmonton more positive for him and future young players next season.

I think once Germany is "eliminated" and a trade is going to be "facilitated" Draisaitl goes back to the WHL to just dominate, hopefully.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010

I guess he's got a powerful stride once he gets goin..probably just need to gain man strength to get that explosiveness..once he has that he'll be a force

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think once Germany is "eliminated" and a trade is going to be "facilitated" Draisaitl goes back to the WHL to just dominate, hopefully.

Yeah because if im the Prince Albert Raiders i'll do whatever makes the Edmonton Oilers happy... Because the Oilers have so much influence over another team in another league. PA would trade his rights if another team actually wanted them AND they get a return that makes sense for their future. Til then, he's PA property and can play there if sent back.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah because if im the Prince Albert Raiders i'll do whatever makes the Edmonton Oilers happy... Because the Oilers have so much influence over another team in another league. PA would trade his rights if another team actually wanted them AND they get a return that makes sense for their future. Til then, he's PA property and can play there if sent back.

If you're PA you trade him to get a kings ransom to do a quick rebuild. Look, odds are, if PA can facilitate a trade, I'm sure the Oilers can help makes things "good" for all involved.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

this is sound logic and should be done. It is for this reason that I am completely positive it won't happen.

With the Oilers, whatever makes the most sense is the last option, if an option at all.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If you're PA you trade him to get a kings ransom to do a quick rebuild. Look, odds are, if PA can facilitate a trade, I'm sure the Oilers can help makes things "good" for all involved.

Again, are you implying that th Oilers give PA or another team $$$$? Because what other influence could they possibly have over WHL teams? Plus, what other WHL team is paying a kings ransom for a player in the NHL? He gets sent back then maybe a team does a rental deal for Drai to play half a season and playoff run, but kings ransom?? This isnt Joe Sakic here just dominating the W...

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I think the writing is on the wall that Leon isnt going to see game 40 with the Roy add. Maybe Lander fills one of the other spots since Nelson trusts him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Again, are you implying that th Oilers give PA or another team $$$$? Because what other influence could they possibly have over WHL teams? Plus, what other WHL team is paying a kings ransom for a player in the NHL? He gets sent back then maybe a team does a rental deal for Drai to play half a season and playoff run, but kings ransom?? This isnt Joe Sakic here just dominating the W...

Whatever, I don't care, his rights have been trade (crazy) so he'll likely be sent down post-WJHC

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Given the race if someone has poor acceleration but can in the end really get going they can win it. In a game situation sudden explosiveness tends to be more important and it seems to me that his first few steps are simply not very good and leads to him being and looking slow during a game.

And this isn't a comparison of the players...I want to put that up front before I make the comparison (Draisatl will be a far superior player). It is reminiscent of someone like Hodgson who actually has reasonable top speed, but his acceleration is simply terrible. Defensively this means that the guy he is covering can beat him to the open space or pucks with relative ease. Now Hodgson has other issues which is why I wanted to say up front what I did. Hodgson is also almost 25 and at this point it is likely what you see is what you get with his skating (his stumpy legs don't help him out any). I expect Draisaitl will work hard on his skating over the next 8 months and by next camp it isn't going to be a detriment to him. He's going to be a good player. How good depends on how the Oilers develop the kid but I won't be shocked if he's the best overall player of the young players on the team when all is said and done (ignoring McEichel).

I will say that if they send him back to Junior after all of this it is a damn shame they didn't loan him out to the WJ team given that team is going to be hard pressed to avoid relegation without him.

Last edited:

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Yet completely unable to translate that into a game situation. I didn't say he was slow but that he skated like Kevin westgarth.

I disagree. He got 2 assist last night. Anyway he should be in juniors but he is going to be a hood player for us for years to come

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I wish Eakins had been canned sooner and Nelson had been brought in sooner. I wonder where LD would be at if he had competent coaching sooner. Was last night's decent outing a one-off, or was it a sign of what we might expect from him for the rest of the season if we keep him up?

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
It wasn't a one off, it's what we've seen him do a hundred times I'm junior and he'll continue to do for the rest of his career as he grows, speeds up, adjusts, and gets better wingers to support him.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I know nothing about the Kelowna coach but if he deemed as a good teaching coach then I would have no problem sending him down.

If not I am a lot more comfortable having him developing under Nelson than Eakins

If he stays in PA than I keep him up for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad