Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guy's a natural and a pro through and through.

With Hall/Eberle/RNH there would always be moments of "WTF?" in their decision making and execution.

Not with Drai. This guy will pile up the points. He just gets it done.

McDavid - Draisaitl will be the most dominant C combination in the NHL within 3 years.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

With Hall/Eberle/RNH there would always be moments of "WTF?" in their decision making and execution.

McDavid - Draisaitl will be the most dominant C combination in the NHL within 3 years.

I hope you are correct.

Nuge should have some pretty good value on the open market. $6M per ain't bad for a second line C, but it's a bit much for a third line guy.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Drai has been nothing short of spectacular. One thing our scouts got right in that draft.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They call him the German Gretzky and now I know why. The guy tears up every league, no matter what the difficulty is

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The difference is size. I'm start to realize how size in the western conference can make a big difference. The reason why I don't want to trade the 2016 1st. Another skilled powerforward is exactly what we need.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
The Drai and HAll almost minus-oned Kane and Toews together 3-on-3. LD grabbed the puck off the boards in his own end and used speed and his great passing to set up hall, nice finish by Hall but Crawford made a tremendous save.

LD was used a lot by the coach with the Oilers down and again when the score was tied, he got the draw from Toews with 11 seconds left in the game in Oilers zone.

For once we have an offensive star who has a plus-sized defensive game. We all knew it was coming with RNH, McD and Hall but for LD to be playing an elite 1st-overall type of game is crazy. LD is looking like a young Ryan Getzlaf (we can all forget about the 2003 draft now lol).

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
In his first few games I didn't think he looked that great but was getting points mostly as a result of some good luck and because he was playing with Hall and RNH. However, the last few games he has been absolutely beastly. Last night against Chicago he was better than anyone on the ice other than Kane.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
His puck possession is a great to watch. He's so strong on the puck and bumping him off the puck will get even harder as he gets even stronger. He's a tank and the Hall-Drai duo has been a bright spot so far.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What impressed me the most is how Draisaitl got up the ice really fast and even beat Patrick Kane and fight him off of all players to feed Hall for the one-timer. We got some great young guys in McDavid and Draisaitl.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Since moving to center, he has had to face Kopitar/Toews and hasn't missed a beat. He is playing so well right now.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What impressed me the most is how Draisaitl got up the ice really fast and even beat Patrick Kane and fight him off of all players to feed Hall for the one-timer. We got some great young guys in McDavid and Draisaitl.

That is always why I liked the nickname Panzer over Dr. Drai. It fits his style more.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Clearly the right pick.. Size, all around game, tonnes of skill. Looks like he's already solid on the dot as well. So happy with his play.

Can't be... wasn't MacT the GM and Stu the head scout? He, Nurse and (Tambo's) Klefbom are all busts right?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Can't be... wasn't MacT the GM and Stu the head scout? He, Nurse and (Tambo's) Klefbom are all busts right?

Stu was great in the first round. It was rounds 2-7 that his drafting was weak. People like to blame Stu for those picks but the scouting staff was instructed to select size over BPA after round 1. Management felt they had enough skill in the top six and wanted to focus on bottom six players and big defencemen.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I've been pimping Draisaitl since I knew we wouldn't get Ekblad, and even I have to admit I didn't think he'd be this good for 2-3 more years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Is it just me or does every goalie play lights out against the Oilers?
Super frustrating :rant:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So many good plays, watching him is really very impressive. He's so strong on the puck in the defensive end and just boxes out players and takes the puck away like it's nothing, and seems to always be making the right play at the offensive blue line. I've also been quite impressed by how quickly he's getting shots off in tight and putting them upstairs, a lot of our players would shoot those low or into the crest.

I admit I was skeptical that he'd be able to translate his game that well, but he's been looking just great for a while now.

space321

May 11, 2011
I hope you are correct.

Nuge should have some pretty good value on the open market. $6M per ain't bad for a second line C, but it's a bit much for a third line guy.

That's the wrong way to think the game nowadays. If RNH is playing "3rd" line, then it's not really a 3rd line. It would be depth on C that would allow us to roll three 1st lines, and/or combine them into 1 line (for example move Drai to wing) when the situation arises. Having three 1st line centres is a luxury that you shouldn't just throw away.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think I am emotionally Scarred and unable to truly enjoy Leon's current success.

I've been a Leon supporter for a long time. Always thought he was the right pick for the Oilers.

Bennett had/still has the potential to be the better player, but I always thought Bennetts Skill set would be more difficult to transfer to the NHL and would also take longer. I also think the eastern media bias has overblown his top end by a bit as well.

I followed Leon closely in junior when we sent him down and watched him frequently as well. I watched every memorial cup games he, Nurse, and Mcdavid were in to boot.

His body of work, including: skating, puck moving, shooting, face offs, and overall defensive play were bring raved about. He won much deserved hardware that should have put him higher on some peoples radar.

In short I feel Leon's low end was certainly higher than Bennetts and his high end potential really had no real limits. Elite #1 center has always been in the cards for this kid and at the moment seems likely.

6 goals, 14 points, in 9 games is beyond impressive.

However, the reason I say I can't enjoy it is because the oilers never seem to truly improve. The small sample size and super high shooting rate will most likely come back down to earth at some point.

Adding Mcdavid back into this lineup seems too good to be true. So we will see what happens as the season goes on.

EDIT: As good as he is playing RNH is still untouchable. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Some of Leons success is due to Hall as well, something we shouldn't forget.

I want to see the current lines stay together even when McDavid comes back and put McDavid on the third line with Yak and Hendricks. Easily the best three lines I think this team could put together.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think I am emotionally Scarred and unable to truly enjoy Leon's current success.

I've been a Leon supporter for a long time. Always thought he was the right pick for the Oilers.

Bennett had/still has the potential to be the better player, but I always thought Bennetts Skill set would be more difficult to transfer to the NHL and would also take longer. I also think the eastern media bias has overblown his top end by a bit as well.

I followed Leon closely in junior when we sent him down and watched him frequently as well. I watched every memorial cup games he, Nurse, and Mcdavid were in to boot.

His body of work, including: skating, puck moving, shooting, face offs, and overall defensive play were bring raved about. He won much deserved hardware that should have put him higher on some peoples radar.

In short I feel Leon's low end was certainly higher than Bennetts and his high end potential really had no real limits. Elite #1 center has always been in the cards for this kid and at the moment seems likely.

6 goals, 14 points, in 9 games is beyond impressive.

However, the reason I say I can't enjoy it is because the oilers never seem to truly improve. The small sample size and super high shooting rate will most likely come back down to earth at some point.

Adding Mcdavid back into this lineup seems too good to be true. So we will see what happens as the season goes on.

We all feel your pain and I think everyone knows around these parts that cautious optimism is the only form of it that still exists; however, I have never seen a recent version of the Oilers that has won as many 50-50 puck battles, including Draisaitl, against top-tier teams like Chicago and LA. Once again, cautious optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad