Leon Draisaitl, back to back 1.5ppg seasons, joins elite club!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The guy is an absolute production machine- he’s under appreciated for a combination of reasons:he’s not North American, he doesn’t play in a major market, has McDavid soaking up the spotlight, and his play style isn’t as thrilling as McDavid, Mackinnon etc but it’s so effective and efficient.

No other play broke 70 points and he’s sitting with 84. If it wasn’t for McDavid, he would have won back the Art Ross with a sizable lead in a shortened season.

How many people expected Draisaitl to repeat his “career year” from last year? Well he just did.

...if it wasn't for McDavid.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He was better than McDavid last year. Granted that was McDavid on one leg, but still.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He was better than McDavid last year. Granted that was McDavid on one leg, but still.

Right, and McDavid on two legs demonstrated the gap between he and the rest of the league. Draisaitl is a fine player though. Certainly one of the top five or six forwards in the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's actually minimum 50 points: NHL Records

So Crosby's 12/13 season would qualify.

FUN FACT: Crosby has the best assist season outside of Wayne and Mario in NHL history save for Oates serving up a peak Brett Hull in 90/91.

Which season would that be? He's never had more assists than 3rd place in points.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
If anything Jari Kurri on that list is the cautionary tale of what could happen to Draisaitl. Kurri made #50 on THN's all-time list in 1998 and that's right about where he usually ends up on those lists. Crosby needed about one 100 point season to jump Kurri in the public imagination. Kurri's reputation will forever suffer from having been Gretzky's sidekick, and I'm afraid Draisaitl will have to move teams (or have McDavid move teams) to avoid that fate.

If you knew anything about Drai you'd know that he doesn't care about that at all. In any way. Go check the highlights from the game where he got his 50th point and McD got his 100th point. Check out his reaction

Joy for McDs milestone. Ho him and meh for his milestone.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
One would think that, if you're going to take a thinly-veiled shot at the guy (let's not pretend that's not what this is), you may want to get your facts straight. This isn't a full season and Crosby had over 1.5PPG three years straight.
A full season is whatever the schedule says it is. Not playing a full season due to injury, based on the accepted number of games for the full season is something else entirely

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn't consider 56 games full season either

Except it is because that’s the maximum number of games on the schedule.

Anyways, congrats to Drai. He’s an elite hockey player and definitely deserves more recognition than he gets. Not too much unlike Malkin during the Pens heyday.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I didn't think it was"the best" but even at the time I thought it was good.

He was a center that put up 70+ points. That's very easily worth 8.5 mil
I'm not sure was easily worth 8 plus at the time of signing but hell yes he's been worth every penny and then some dollars since !! It was a gamble for a player that wasn't even PPG at the time but he did just have a coming-out playoff right before signing. A gamble that the Oilers won though quite easily.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The real question with Leon.. is where he ends up in the all time greatest forwards not born in North America by the time he hits retirement.

Insane talent

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The real question with Leon.. is where he ends up in the all time greatest forwards not born in North America by the time he hits retirement.

Insane talent
Greatest German ever... Although I'm very high on Seider.

I'd say damn near jagr, Bure, sundin and fedorov. Forgot a Finn... Kurri

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Easily the best German ever.. Unbelievable player, 50 goal scorer, elite shot, elite passer, excellent along the boards, beast on faceoffs, takes every important draw for the team, and led the NHL in +/-. He's Kopitar/Getzlaf with better goal scoring ability.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Greatest German ever... Although I'm very high on Seider.

I'd say damn near jagr, Bure, sundin and fedorov. Forgot a Finn... Kurri
One is clearly unlike the others: Jagr is far higher than the rest mentioned on any alltime list. Having said that, Draisaitl's 2019-20 season is already more successful than what Bure, Kurri or Sundin ever produced. Then of course you add players like Ovechkin, Selänne, Fedorov and Forsberg into the mix.

Reactions: Czechboy

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
With his final assist of the season, Draisaitl joins this elite club.

The only other players who habe accomplished this in the last 40 years are Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Kurri, Yzerman, Coffey, Lindros an McDavid. So only the absolute elite of peak scorers could do it.

So, no Crosby, no Messier, no Forsberg, no Malkin, no Thornton, no Ovechkin, no Sakic, no Selanne, no Kucherov and so on.

Not bad for a guy who was declared a bum by the vast majority of this board a few years back.
Didnt know that Lindros and Coffey is kn this club.
How crazy isnt it that Coffey are one of those, as a defenceman!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
With his final assist of the season, Draisaitl joins this elite club.

The only other players who habe accomplished this in the last 40 years are Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Kurri, Yzerman, Coffey, Lindros an McDavid. So only the absolute elite of peak scorers could do it.

So, no Crosby, no Messier, no Forsberg, no Malkin, no Thornton, no Ovechkin, no Sakic, no Selanne, no Kucherov and so on.

• Marcel Dionne: 4 (79-82)
  • Charlie Simmer: 2 (80-81)
  • Mike Bossy: 2 (81-82)
  • Peter Stastny: 2 (82-83)
  • Mike Bossy: 3 (84-86)
  • Pat LaFontaine: 2 (92-93)
  • Kevin Stevens: 2 (92-93)

what am i missing here?

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
He didn’t miss a game this season, so technically both were “full years”. Crosby only played 99 out of 246 possible games those 3 years you’re referencing, it’s pretty different scenario, as well as much shorter sample sizes.

Health is one of Draisaitls best qualities- only 4 missed games in the past 5 seasons.

82 * 2 + 48 = 212 possible games, not 246. Convenient oversight for someone who just rationalized a technicality on a 56 game season.

Even if Crosby fans are desperade enough to include 41 games and 36 games seasons that still does not qualify him, as these seasons did not happen back to back. I am sorry. I know it hurts, but you will get over it.

You guys do know that 2013 was only a 48 game season, right? So 36/48 = 75% of the season. I know it hurts to be wrong, especially when you are so "desperade" to be right, but you will get it over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad