Leon Draisaitl, back to back 1.5ppg seasons, joins elite club!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
these Crosby mentions are just sad

dude literally played in like a quarter of the games that middle year(while missing sizable chunks in the other years as well)

Reactions: MessierII

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Pretty incredible. People in this thread will say it’s the Mcdavid factor but how many players in the league could you swap him out for and produce the same results?
It's similar to Sundin, everyone said that his points were because he was playing with Sakic, but later proved that he was great without help when he was traded to the Leafs.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
With his final assist of the season, Draisaitl joins this elite club.

The only other players who habe accomplished this in the last 40 years are Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Kurri, Yzerman, Coffey, Lindros an McDavid. So only the absolute elite of peak scorers could do it.

So, no Crosby, no Messier, no Forsberg, no Malkin, no Thornton, no Ovechkin, no Sakic, no Selanne, no Kucherov and so on.

Not bad for a guy who was declared a bum by the vast majority of this board a few years back.
I don't recall him ever being called bum by a majority. Many people said that he needs some maturing.

Reactions: hoglund

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Not sure why there's such an outcry about Crosby mentions when there's a big fat asterisk on this season as well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Not sure why there's such an outcry about Crosby mentions when there's a big fat asterisk on this season as well.

Same asterisk really as 94/95 and 12/13 i.e. none for this particular purpose.

That being said, if we added Crosby to the list of people who've achieved this, would that actually change the gist of the argument at all? Crosby is a sure thing first ballot HOFer who will almost certainly be on top 10 all-time lists for a long time to come.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
With his final assist of the season, Draisaitl joins this elite club.

The only other players who habe accomplished this in the last 40 years are Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Kurri, Yzerman, Coffey, Lindros an McDavid. So only the absolute elite of peak scorers could do it.

So, no Crosby, no Messier, no Forsberg, no Malkin, no Thornton, no Ovechkin, no Sakic, no Selanne, no Kucherov and so on.

Not bad for a guy who was declared a bum by the vast majority of this board a few years back.
and an overpaid bum

His contract is a MFing steal.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Same asterisk really as 94/95 and 12/13 i.e. none for this particular purpose.

That being said, if we added Crosby to the list of people who've achieved this, would that actually change the gist of the argument at all? Crosby is a sure thing first ballot HOFer who will almost certainly be on top 10 all-time lists for a long time to come.

Nope, it makes the list stronger, Crosby is a fantastic player. I don't get the arguments. some people just want to argue, even if they're wrong.

That list is a ELITE company with Sid or without Sid, just like its an ELITE list with Draisaitl or without. Its the BEST of the BEST to play the game, and people want to split hairs?

give me a break.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If anything Jari Kurri on that list is the cautionary tale of what could happen to Draisaitl. Kurri made #50 on THN's all-time list in 1998 and that's right about where he usually ends up on those lists. Crosby needed about one 100 point season to jump Kurri in the public imagination. Kurri's reputation will forever suffer from having been Gretzky's sidekick, and I'm afraid Draisaitl will have to move teams (or have McDavid move teams) to avoid that fate.

Reactions: 666

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
If anything Jari Kurri on that list is the cautionary tale of what could happen to Draisaitl. Kurri made #50 on THN's all-time list in 1998 and that's right about where he usually ends up on those lists. Crosby needed about one 100 point season to jump Kurri in the public imagination. Kurri's reputation will forever suffer from having been Gretzky's sidekick, and I'm afraid Draisaitl will have to move teams (or have McDavid move teams) to avoid that fate.
I dont remember Kurri winning Art Ross trophies, MVPs and outplaying Gretzky in the playoffs. So I get your argument, but the situation is not really comparable.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Im sure Kurri sleeps just fine with his Stanley Cup rings when THN put him 50th.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Cool to see more talent coming out of Germany. Drai might be the high water mark for a while though.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Kurri never won a Hart Trophy. Being a center, often running his own line, will hopefully help his legacy in the long run. Something more like Gretzky/Messier, Crosby/Malkin. Linked in history but not labelled as side-kick.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I dont remember Kurri winning Art Ross trophies, MVPs and outplaying Gretzky in the playoffs. So I get your argument, but the situation is not really comparable.

While that is true, there's other examples (Malkin & Esposito) that show the 'shadow' of a more highly regarded top 10 player on the same team weighs heavily even if you do achieve individual accolades. I mean even Jagr's reputation suffered for a long time for having been Mario's 'apprentice' (and it only really changed once he achieved a ton of things without Mario).

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If crosbys record of 16 consecutive over ppg seasons count I'm not sure why his 1.61, 1.68, 1.56 wouldn't count in this instance. Is what I'm getting at.

Reactions: Weztex

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
While that is true, there's other examples (Malkin & Esposito) that show the 'shadow' of a more highly regarded top 10 player on the same team weighs heavily even if you do achieve individual accolades. I mean even Jagr's reputation suffered for a long time for having been Mario's 'apprentice' (and it only really changed once he achieved a ton of things without Mario).
Malkin put that to bed when he swept the awards with Crosby only playing 22 games in 11-12

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
It's actually minimum 50 points: NHL Records

So Crosby's 12/13 season would qualify.

FUN FACT: Crosby has the best assist season outside of Wayne and Mario in NHL history save for Oates serving up a peak Brett Hull in 90/91.
what do you mean by "best assist season"? most assists?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Malkin's legacy is held back just as much by his own injury struggles as anything else

he's played like 1 season in the past decade without missing at least 20% or so of the games

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's actually minimum 50 points: NHL Records

So Crosby's 12/13 season would qualify.

FUN FACT: Crosby has the best assist season outside of Wayne and Mario in NHL history save for Oates serving up a peak Brett Hull in 90/91.
Which season is that? McDavid put up a top 20 A/GP this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad