Leon Draisaitl, back to back 1.5ppg seasons, joins elite club!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Which season is that? McDavid put up a top 20 A/GP this season

probably doing some silly extrapolating of his 22 game season to 82 games

fun fact: McDavid actually has 4 more assists in his most recent 22 games than Crosby had that year which would be 15 more over a full season if we're extrapolating small samples out

Last edited:
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The resident Dick Beddoes comes in. You know every thread doesn’t need the “nuh huh Crosby is the bestest”
One would think that, if you're going to take a thinly-veiled shot at the guy (let's not pretend that's not what this is), you may want to get your facts straight. This isn't a full season and Crosby had over 1.5PPG three years straight.

Last edited:

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
Two of these seasons were 50% and 75% of the season. But yeah obv not 82 games which 56 is not as well
And the feat mentioned is playing two full seasons. I hope you eventually connected the dots before reading this.

Reactions: RavenGuard

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
What people don't ever get is YES, McDavid does help, but he is still good in his own right. Or even him helping McDavid and the chemistry.
It certainly can be both at least in some situations.

like Pasta and Marchand. I recognize Marchands point totals have gone up quite a bit since Pasta, but watching them it looks pretty clearly mutual. Complementary styles. Or Ovi continuing to score at his age; for all Tom Wilson’s many faults, he’s probably the most complementary winger Ovi has ever had and actually creates space for Ovechkin rather than the usual ‘star creates space for lesser linemate to score’
(Id be curious to read more examples if people know some)

There’s lines with 0 chemistry, few with perfect chemistry, and most somewhere in between. Probably most of the time linemates gotta work some and develop it but it can be super natural with some stars

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
He did not even play half the games in two of these seasons. Obviously these can not count for PPG season records. Seasons only qualify ifn you player a minimum of 50% of the games. It has always been like that. For good reason. You can find 1.5ppg 20 games stretches for a lots of players, obviously.

2010-1123PITNHL41323466
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Make up your mind

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
If anything Jari Kurri on that list is the cautionary tale of what could happen to Draisaitl. Kurri made #50 on THN's all-time list in 1998 and that's right about where he usually ends up on those lists. Crosby needed about one 100 point season to jump Kurri in the public imagination. Kurri's reputation will forever suffer from having been Gretzky's sidekick, and I'm afraid Draisaitl will have to move teams (or have McDavid move teams) to avoid that fate.
Did you suddenly forget that Draisaitl swept the awards last season? The guy was voted MVP of the league by his peers and also media. And how many Ted Lindsay did Kurri get??

Still baffling to see how Drai doesn't get credit for the things he did last season.

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
As far as I can tell this is the complete list of players/streaks of multiple consecutive 1.5 or greater point per game seasons post expansion (Original Six only saw a couple of players Cowley and Lach do it during the war years, don't have data on pre Original Six to easily check but I'd assume it was done then):
  • Bobby Orr: 6 (70-75)
  • Phil Esposito: 5 (71-75)
  • Guy Lafleur: 6 (75-80)
  • Bryan Trottier: 2 (78-79)
  • Marcel Dionne: 4 (79-82)
  • Wayne Gretzky: 13 (80-92)
  • Charlie Simmer: 2 (80-81)
  • Mike Bossy: 2 (81-82)
  • Peter Stastny: 2 (82-83)
  • Jari Kurri: 3 (84-86)
  • Mike Bossy: 3 (84-86)
  • Paul Coffey: 3 (84-86)
  • Mario Lemieux: 4 (87-90)
  • Steve Yzerman: 3 (88-90)
  • Mario Lemieux: 2 (92-93)
  • Pat LaFontaine: 2 (92-93)
  • Kevin Stevens: 2 (92-93)
  • Eric Lindros: 3 (95-97)
  • Mario Lemieux: 2 (96-97)
  • Jaromir Jagr: 2 (96-97)
  • Jaromir Jagr: 2 (99-00)
  • Connor McDavid: 2 (20-21)
  • Leon Draisaitl: 2 (20-21)
Counting "seasons" where the player played at least half the games in the year of course, otherwise the ranges for a few would change and others players like Crosby mentioned before would be included (noticing the same few Crosby fans in many of the McDavid topics recently but this is a Draisaitl topic lol so please take that insecurity elsewhere :sarcasm:)

Aside from Charlie Simmer everyone on this list was a legit offensive superstar even if just briefly (maybe some would also question Kevin Stevens though I'd say it's borderline, was considered a beast in the early nineties before the injury). Very impressive company, and I think Draisaitl is only a little behind McDavid as a player anyway.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
It certainly can be both at least in some situations.

like Pasta and Marchand. I recognize Marchands point totals have gone up quite a bit since Pasta, but watching them it looks pretty clearly mutual. Complementary styles. Or Ovi continuing to score at his age; for all Tom Wilson’s many faults, he’s probably the most complementary winger Ovi has ever had and actually creates space for Ovechkin rather than the usual ‘star creates space for lesser linemate to score’
(Id be curious to read more examples if people know some)

There’s lines with 0 chemistry, few with perfect chemistry, and most somewhere in between. Probably most of the time linemates gotta work some and develop it but it can be super natural with some stars
It's not exclusive to a few teams. A lot of teams have these duos that boosts production in pairs. Toronto with Matthews-Marner, NYR with Panarin-Zib, Colorado's Mac-Rantanen.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If anything Jari Kurri on that list is the cautionary tale of what could happen to Draisaitl. Kurri made #50 on THN's all-time list in 1998 and that's right about where he usually ends up on those lists. Crosby needed about one 100 point season to jump Kurri in the public imagination. Kurri's reputation will forever suffer from having been Gretzky's sidekick, and I'm afraid Draisaitl will have to move teams (or have McDavid move teams) to avoid that fate.
While I get your idea, there's one problem.

How many 50 goal seasons do Drais and McDavid have?

How many Hart/Ross/Lindsay seasons do Drais and Kurri have?

Kurri got that reputation because he was never even close to matching Wayne. Draisaitl has a 50g 100pt season and a sweep of the awards to his name in a season McDavid played the whole season(coming off an injury mind you). Draisaitl has shown the gap between while very apparent isn't large enough to be labelled a sidekick, they will be labelled similar to Lemieux/Jagr or Sid/Geno.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
As far as I can tell this is the complete list of players/streaks of multiple consecutive 1.5 or greater point per game seasons post expansion (Original Six only saw a couple of players Cowley and Lach do it during the war years, don't have data on pre Original Six to easily check but I'd assume it was done then):
  • Bobby Orr: 6 (70-75)
  • Phil Esposito: 5 (71-75)
  • Guy Lafleur: 6 (75-80)
  • Bryan Trottier: 2 (78-79)
  • Marcel Dionne: 4 (79-82)
  • Wayne Gretzky: 13 (80-92)
  • Charlie Simmer: 2 (80-81)
  • Mike Bossy: 2 (81-82)
  • Peter Stastny: 2 (82-83)
  • Jari Kurri: 3 (84-86)
  • Mike Bossy: 3 (84-86)
  • Paul Coffey: 3 (84-86)
  • Mario Lemieux: 4 (87-90)
  • Steve Yzerman: 3 (88-90)
  • Mario Lemieux: 2 (92-93)
  • Pat LaFontaine: 2 (92-93)
  • Kevin Stevens: 2 (92-93)
  • Eric Lindros: 3 (95-97)
  • Mario Lemieux: 2 (96-97)
  • Jaromir Jagr: 2 (96-97)
  • Jaromir Jagr: 2 (99-00)
  • Connor McDavid: 2 (20-21)
  • Leon Draisaitl: 2 (20-21)
Counting "seasons" where the player played at least half the games in the year of course, otherwise the ranges for a few would change and others players like Crosby mentioned before would be included (noticing the same few Crosby fans in many of the McDavid topics recently but this is a Draisaitl topic lol so please take that insecurity elsewhere :sarcasm:)

Aside from Charlie Simmer everyone on this list was a legit offensive superstar even if just briefly (maybe some would also question Kevin Stevens though I'd say it's borderline, was considered a beast in the early nineties before the injury). Very impressive company, and I think Draisaitl is only a little behind McDavid as a player anyway.

Don't sell Simmer short. Injuries kept his totals lower than they could have been, but he was very much a major scoring threat in his day. One of the few who nearly scored 50 in 50 (had 50 in 51 in 1980-81).

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Don't sell Simmer short. Injuries kept his totals lower than they could have been, but he was very much a major scoring threat in his day. One of the few who nearly scored 50 in 50 (had 50 in 51 in 1980-81).

Yeah probably worded that poorly, just really comparing to the high caliber of the rest of the players, and yes Simmer's seasons were both shortened seasons (though still meeting the at least half of the games criteria).

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Yeah probably worded that poorly, just really comparing to the high caliber of the rest of the players, and yes Simmer's seasons were both shortened seasons (though still meeting the at least half of the games criteria).

I get what you meant, just want to give Simmer some credit. Obviously most people now won't recognize the name, but he was definitely someone known in his day.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The only other players who habe accomplished this in the last 40 years are Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Kurri, Yzerman, Coffey, Lindros an McDavid. So only the absolute elite of peak scorers could do it.

What is the cut off for having Bossy (I think he did 2 times), Marcel Dionne, Lafontaine, Peter Stastny, Keven Stevens out of that list ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad