Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I don't think he was trying to say that McDavid needed Draisaitl to be productive. McDavid will always be productive because he is capable of scoring all by himself, but the first line as a whole wasn't getting much done during that time. If you only have three top-6 players on the team and two of them are on one line, you expect that line, and not just McDavid, to be good. McClellan put Draisaitl and McDavid back together to try and jumpstart the first line and generate consistent scoring.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you for your excellent explanation :)

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Came here to say: 26P in 21GP

We're so blessed to have these 2 guys. Where the haters at? Still have some "drive his own line" guys around? Is he still having a slow start u guys?

With Drai/McDavid in a scoring position the opposition and goalie have no clue if they're gonna snipe or pass to Drai/McDavid. It's absolutely lethal. I loved when Hitch said as soon as the bench sees one of them with a step everyone sits up.

I feel like +1 quality D, all the plumbers buying into Hitch-hockey, and Drai/McDavid averaging 3PPG together we're gonna pile up wins.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
McDavid is so much better when playing with Drai, it's not even funny. They understand each other so well and their skill sets compliment each others to a T. Buncha haters "herp derp Drai sucks only can produce with McDavid"... Yeah as if other teams don't put good players together. McDrai is the best duo in the NHL AINEC.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
McDavid is so much better when playing with Drai, it's not even funny. They understand each other so well and their skill sets compliment each others to a T. Buncha haters "herp derp Drai sucks only can produce with McDavid"... Yeah as if other teams don't put good players together. McDrai is the best duo in the NHL AINEC.

When they're on, there are no two better. The nice thing is, this team doesn't always need to hold them together. If they cool down (like last December), you can always rotate Drai out, and pop in Nuge to completely change up the look, but still have the line near as dominant.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
With Drai apparently struggling in Hitch's system and the routine "he's not moving his feet," and "he's lazy" comments coming out of the woodwork again, I thought I'd share Lowetide's latest blog, which provides an explanation for what many believe constitutes a lack of effort.

Lowetide.ca | Game 29 2018-19: Wild at Oilers

For those that can't access the link, here is the specific part of the article that I'm referencing:

I keep reading about Leon Draisaitl as being lazy or slow—or both, and I have to say it’s baffling to me. There are worthy criticisms of the player, his coverage and defensive reads have me thinking he may well play his career on the wing. He also fades later in shifts and his shift lengths are 55 seconds and maybe they should be shorter (Barkov and Kopitar, also big men, are 49 seconds).
Lazy? I don’t think so. I’m reminded of Frank Mahovlich, who was often criticized for the same sins. Big Frank had a long stride and often looked like the wind blew him into scoring position, but he did in fact work hard at the game of hockey. As does Leon.
We can agree the Oilers should have better depth and that Leon’s usage is beyond reasonable (as is the case with 97 and, increasingly, 77). I believe Leon Draisaitl is an outstanding NHL player, and the numbers (on pace for 88 points) confirm.

Basically, Lowetide points out that due to his larger frame and unorthodox skating style, Draisaitl appears to coast when he's actually working hard despite some of the narratives I hear on this site. Moreover, he recommends that Hitch reduce his ice time, which I also agree with. I'm also wondering if perhaps Hitch's defensive-minded system has impacted Drai's point production (and, to a lesser extent, McDavid's), as he only has something like 4 assists in 7 games since Hitch took over. Hopefully this is just an adjustment process and the offence will come, not just from Draisaitl but from the team as a whole, which has really struggled offensively under Hitch.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
With Drai apparently struggling in Hitch's system and the routine "he's not moving his feet," and "he's lazy" comments coming out of the woodwork again, I thought I'd share Lowetide's latest blog, which provides an explanation for what many believe constitutes a lack of effort.

Lowetide.ca | Game 29 2018-19: Wild at Oilers

For those that can't access the link, here is the specific part of the article that I'm referencing:

I keep reading about Leon Draisaitl as being lazy or slow—or both, and I have to say it’s baffling to me. There are worthy criticisms of the player, his coverage and defensive reads have me thinking he may well play his career on the wing. He also fades later in shifts and his shift lengths are 55 seconds and maybe they should be shorter (Barkov and Kopitar, also big men, are 49 seconds).
Lazy? I don’t think so. I’m reminded of Frank Mahovlich, who was often criticized for the same sins. Big Frank had a long stride and often looked like the wind blew him into scoring position, but he did in fact work hard at the game of hockey. As does Leon.
We can agree the Oilers should have better depth and that Leon’s usage is beyond reasonable (as is the case with 97 and, increasingly, 77). I believe Leon Draisaitl is an outstanding NHL player, and the numbers (on pace for 88 points) confirm.

Basically, Lowetide points out that due to his larger frame and unorthodox skating style, Draisaitl appears to coast when he's actually working hard despite some of the narratives I hear on this site. Moreover, he recommends that Hitch reduce his ice time, which I also agree with. I'm also wondering if perhaps Hitch's defensive-minded system has impacted Drai's point production (and, to a lesser extent, McDavid's), as he only has something like 4 assists in 7 games since Hitch took over. Hopefully this is just an adjustment process and the offence will come, not just from Draisaitl but from the team as a whole, which has really struggled offensively under Hitch.

Jason Arnott and Dustin Penner got driven out of town because of the same thing, big frames and skating style. There is nothing wrong with Draisaitl, he isn't lazy or slow. He loses defensive coverage more than I would like to see and cheats on offence more than I would like to see but then so did Hall and many offensive stars tend to do this. There is a net gain with Draisatl. He is a good player.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If you read my post more carefully, you will see that I wasn't saying McDavid needs Draisaitl. I was saying that the lines were changed because NO ONE was producing INCLUDING McDavid and therefore McLellan switched the lines.

Yes, I'll acknowledge he played like **** to start the season if that makes you happy and helps you sleep at night. And, in return, you need to acknowledge the he's doing well WITH OR WITHOUT McDavid (which I see you did to some extent in this thread). He had 17 points in 17 games ON HIS OWN LINE, which includes Yamamoto and Lucic, two players McDavid couldn't even piss a drop with. Putting him with McDavid understandably further elevated his point totals. So you have an 82 point player WITHOUT McDavid or a 100-point player with him. The point is that both versions of Draisaitl are more than worth their contract. The problem is the **** depth that surrounds McDavid and Draisaitl rather than either of those players alone.
Draisaitl has 5 points this season (all strengths) with McDavid not on the ice with him, in 259.73 minutes of icetime. Not sure where you're getting your numbers from (you probably made them up) but they aren't even close to being true.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
When they're on, there are no two better. The nice thing is, this team doesn't always need to hold them together. If they cool down (like last December), you can always rotate Drai out, and pop in Nuge to completely change up the look, but still have the line near as dominant.
I don't disagree with you here, but I hope you realize that this isn't exactly paying Draisaitl a complement :laugh:

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I feel he is a guy whose natural tendency when things aren't working well is to try and force things (i.e. take more on his own shoulders, try to make the trickier play), which is hard to do in the NHL. I always think he would be better off, when "struggling", to simplify things (i.e. just bouncing a puck out of the zone off the boards without trying to turn it into a pass or bulling his way to the net instead of button hooking and waiting to find someone). In ways, skill plays are often earned by the defense being wary of simple plays.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Draisaitl has 5 points this season (all strengths) with McDavid not on the ice with him, in 259.73 minutes of icetime. Not sure where you're getting your numbers from (you probably made them up) but they aren't even close to being true.

I don't remember exactly when he was reunited with McDavid, but I do know that for the first 17 games, when he played on a different line than McDavid, he still attained 17 points in 17 games for a PPG average. I didn't break down exactly where the points came from (ES, PP, SH, OT, etc) but I don't know why that matters. The point I was making is that regardless of the situation, he finds a way to produce, which is what good players do.

Edit:
For accuracy purposes, here are the NHL point standings the day before Draisaitl was reunited with McDavid. As you can see, he had 17 points in 17 games. Of his 17 points, only 7 points came on the PP. So no, I was not making this up:

NHL.com - Stats

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I don't remember exactly when he was reunited with McDavid, but I do know that for the first 17 games, when he played on a different line than McDavid, he still attained 17 points in 17 games for a PPG average. I didn't break down exactly where the points came from (ES, PP, SH, OT, etc) but I don't know why that matters. The point I was making is that regardless of the situation, he finds a way to produce, which is what good players do.
In those first 17 games (from October 6th against the Devils to November 11th against the Avalanche) where he put up 17 points (8 of them 5v5), only 5 of those points were without McDavid on the ice.

So yeah, he had 5 points in 17 games on his own line and away from McDavid. Since being reunited with McDavid, he has 8 points in 11 games at 5v5. He doesn't really produce on his own.

Reactions: nabob

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In those first 17 games (from October 6th against the Devils to November 11th against the Avalanche) where he put up 17 points (8 of them 5v5), only 5 of those points were without McDavid on the ice.

So yeah, he had 5 points in 17 games on his own line and away from McDavid. Since being reunited with McDavid, he has 8 points in 11 games at 5v5. He doesn't really produce on his own.
Used to be points where McDavid got on the scoresheet didn't count. Now it's points where McDavid is even on the ice whether he got a point or not don't count. What's next? Points where McDavid is in the game don't count either?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Jason Arnott and Dustin Penner got driven out of town because of the same thing, big frames and skating style. There is nothing wrong with Draisaitl, he isn't lazy or slow. He loses defensive coverage more than I would like to see and cheats on offence more than I would like to see but then so did Hall and many offensive stars tend to do this. There is a net gain with Draisatl. He is a good player.

I couldn't agree more. Oilers fan-base has amnesia.

Back in the mid-late 90's they gleefully chased a 23 year old, big, early 1st round, October-born center out of Edmonton. Never mind his franchise record 33 goals as a rookie. He didn't look right and made a bad comment while going thru a paternity suit. Slats' hand was forced.

Went on to play 1244 NHL games, rack up 938P, win a cup, score a cup winning goal with the 'A' on his sweater, and captain the Preds for 3 years. Big, tough, and skilled... but not good enough for the crappy mid-to-late 90's Oilers! just lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who cares if he produces primarily with McDavid. I'd gladly pay Jesse Puljujarvi or anyone $8 mill/season no sweat if he'd turn into a 75+ point winger tomorrow for McDavid to play with (year in, year out). So why complain about a guy who's scoring at a 90+ point rate with McDavid and has the extra ability to also slide over to center.

Leon isn't Malkin, but that doesn't mean you gut the forward group further. No he can't drive a line with two average-to-mediocre level players around him. It will be incumbent on this franchise to add better wingers for him to play with over the next 2 years. I'm not giving away our 2nd best forward yet again and then see if we can win with 1.5 goals average a game and an AHL forward group around McDavid.

The "raid the forward shop for D goodies" store is CLOSED, Oilers. Sit down, shut up, and develop Evan Bouchard on top of the three other guys you spent 1st rounders on (Nurse, Klefbom, and Larsson who we gave away Hall for, so that's basically a no.1 overall). On top of giving away another 1st + 2nd for Reinhart. And spending almost $11 million on Sekera + Russell.

That's freaking FIVE 1st rounders (three top 10) picks + 2nd we've spent on D + $10.5 million in UFA signings on the D.

Enough is enough. Next person who says "yeah but lets trade Leon for a D" gets slapped upside the head.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Its hilarious Steven was talking more smack about Draisaitl just today. I was wondering why the thread was bumped as it rarely is for positive reasons, but then I realized Steven had some more to say.

Not even more to say, he's just re-hashing the same old stuff now, even though plenty of people have made good arguments as to why his line of thinking is wrong.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Ive moved on to the acceptance stage, ya he’s signed for $1.5-2 mil too much (for the year he was signed) but with the cap going up it won’t look as brutal. He’s a big skilled winger who can score and you don’t find those by trade or UFA very often so you make sure you hang onto them.

Reactions: imtheboy

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I couldn't agree more. Oilers fan-base has amnesia.

Back in the mid-late 90's they gleefully chased a 23 year old, big, early 1st round, October-born center out of Edmonton. Never mind his franchise record 33 goals as a rookie. He didn't look right and made a bad comment while going thru a paternity suit. Slats' hand was forced.

Went on to play 1244 NHL games, rack up 938P, win a cup, score a cup winning goal with the 'A' on his sweater, and captain the Preds for 3 years. Big, tough, and skilled... but not good enough for the crappy mid-to-late 90's Oilers! just lol

The Arnott episode was a real low point for Oiler fan, only to be outdone by the BS Pronger was subjected to. Oiler fan can be a very petty creature when it comes to certain high paid stars. I see the commentary on Draisatl and its much of the same as Arnott, overpaid, lazy and slow, doesn't care.

This overpaid, lazy and slow, doesn't care narrative is just plain wrong. I took my cousin to the game last night and he was riding the lazy/slow train. All Leon did was score 2, get a nice A and played very well overall. I asked him after the game if he reconsiders his viewpoint...

Bottom line, Draisatl is a very good player who has exceptional chemistry with McDavid and his 8.5M will seem like peanuts in 2-3 years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The Arnott episode was a real low point for Oiler fan, only to be outdone by the BS Pronger was subjected to. Oiler fan can be a very petty creature when it comes to certain high paid stars. I see the commentary on Draisatl and its much of the same as Arnott, overpaid, lazy and slow, doesn't care.

This overpaid, lazy and slow, doesn't care narrative is just plain wrong. I took my cousin to the game last night and he was riding the lazy/slow train. All Leon did was score 2, get a nice A and played very well overall. I asked him after the game if he reconsiders his viewpoint...

Bottom line, Draisatl is a very good player who has exceptional chemistry with McDavid and his 8.5M will seem like peanuts in 2-3 years.

Draisaitl is my favorite Oiler. He still hasn't reached his peak yet. Has the odd weaker game but...

Is undisputed a great player.

I don't really follow negative posts too close. Is anyone really saying Draisaitl is anything other than awesome?

A fan being pissy about his salary, while strange to me, is common enough. Even the odd comment about McDavid helping his points.

But he very obviously be the #1 center on most teams. In that situation he wouldn't be playing with McDavid but he would have at least another quality offensive player to rack up points with.

I think he is already worth close to 8.5 if not completely. As said he will be a steal moving forward. Anyone who complains about Draisaitl contract need to look at some other contractstuff. .. Toews for example.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Used to be points where McDavid got on the scoresheet didn't count. Now it's points where McDavid is even on the ice whether he got a point or not don't count. What's next? Points where McDavid is in the game don't count either?

What about the game where McDavid didn't play and Drai got an assist on the Oiler's only goal? McDavid must have magically willed that from his hotel room!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What about the game where McDavid didn't play and Drai got an assist on the Oiler's only goal? McDavid must have magically willed that from his hotel room!
Didn’t count! Team wasn’t defending as hard with mcdavid not in the lineup

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Draisaitl is exactly what this team needs. Trading him makes absolutely no sense. If we didn't have McDavid, then we'd be in trouble relying on Drai as our #1C, but that is not the situation we are in. If he stays on McDavid's wing, there's no reason he can't be a top-10 winger in this league. And what did we all learn from the Hall trade? Wingers are valuable too.

As long as RNH is playing like a beastly second line center, I don't see the need to majorly shakeup our forwards in any way. Khaira/Pulju/Chiasson can all be upgraded, but RNH/Drai/McDavid are all playing right where we want them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad